3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno Perijove 47
Brian Swift
post Dec 17 2022, 11:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8250

CK kernels not posted to NAIF yet. I wonder if raw image data is down. <Insert impatient sonic hedgehog gif>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 23 2022, 01:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/news/juno-...m5gobVHSUSmh2as

NASA’s Juno spacecraft completed its 47th close pass of Jupiter on Dec. 14. Afterward, as the solar-powered orbiter was sending its science data to mission controllers from its onboard computer, the downlink was disrupted... Mission controllers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and its mission partners successfully rebooted the computer and, on Dec. 17, put the spacecraft into safe mode...
As of Dec. 22, steps to recover the flyby data yielded positive results, and the team is now downlinking the science data.

But I'm not sure when we will have enough to begin posting to missionjuno -- maybe tomorrow.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 23 2022, 01:37 AM
Post #3

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Thanks for the update. I was actually starting to wonder if something like this had happened and recently started monitoring https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html. I noticed that Juno has been downlinking at 200 kbps over the past hour or two. Looking forward to seeing the Io images (and Jupiter too).

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 23 2022, 01:40 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Dec 22 2022, 05:37 PM) *
Thanks for the update. I was actually starting to wonder if something like this had happened and recently started monitoring https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html.

I've been working on a script to look for safe-mode entries using the Eyes data. You definitely would have seen some odd things had you been looking over the weekend.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 23 2022, 02:01 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 23

I figured it had to be something like this, with the other option being that maybe budget pressures meant that the short-term reconstructed c-kernels weren’t being generated anymore, but then the weekly kernel wasn’t released yesterday. Obviously I am looking forward to the Io images, but I am also super happy to hear that spacecraft is okay.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 23 2022, 02:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4489

it dose not look like Io will be all that big in the junocam
here is a screenshot of the encounter
Attached Image

and a zoom in
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 23 2022, 05:30 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Dec 22 2022, 06:59 PM) *
it dose not look like Io will be all that big in the junocam

It's about 80 pixels across for this pass, and definitely has some recognizable surface detail.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Dec 23 2022, 08:21 AM
Post #8

I think a savvier approach would have been for the project to post timely updates on the problem discovery, diagnosis, and resolution.
Drama of "spacecraft in trouble" to "Can-do engineers to the rescue" could have added a few more days to Juno's periodic blip in the "news cycle".

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 23 2022, 04:02 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Brian Swift @ Dec 23 2022, 12:21 AM) *
I think a savvier approach would have been for the project to post timely updates on the problem discovery, diagnosis, and resolution.
Drama of "spacecraft in trouble" to "Can-do engineers to the rescue" could have added a few more days to Juno's periodic blip in the "news cycle".

I think you overstate the amount of drama and interest that could have been milked out of this particular event. I can't recall a relatively routine safe mode entry that was handled this way in the past. If we had been in any real jeopardy, maybe.

At any rate, nothing to do with me -- I got my hand slapped way back on Mars Observer for mentioning a safe mode entry in public and won't make that mistake again.

BTW, I am gratified by Junocam images ending up on several "best space images of 2022" lists, mostly due to the processing by the folks here and elsewhere doing their processing magic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 23 2022, 04:10 PM
Post #10

No worries, Mike. Having been through a few safe modes on Galileo, Cassini, and MRO, they can be frustrating but live tweeting them can cause issues because everyone thinks like they are always emergencies. True, they’re not great, you lose data, but often it is just waiting around for everything to get reset so you can get back to taking science. As long as your servers can handle the handful of us constantly reloading the imaging page wink.gif

(And gods I know about my hand being slapped for safe mode mentioning… Looking at you Cassini T9 and T71)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin Gill
post Dec 23 2022, 04:30 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7220

Would also recommend against watching dsnnow. I've had it up all week, and then start obsessively refreshing missionsjuno every time the pass completes, lol

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 29 2022, 11:04 PM
Post #12

FYI, I don't expect that any of the images will show up on missionjuno before next week. You'll note that there are no C kernels posted yet and that is a gating event. I think the holiday season has slowed everything down. Sorry for any frustration.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 30 2022, 12:36 AM
Post #13

I know me. I know that as soon as the PJ47 images show up, I will start working on them and won't come out of my office until they are done... Seeing as how I have family in town, a delay until next week is probably best wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Dec 30 2022, 10:02 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Dec 29 2022, 03:04 PM) *
FYI, I don't expect that any of the images will show up on missionjuno before next week. You'll note that there are no C kernels posted yet and that is a gating event. I think the holiday season has slowed everything down. Sorry for any frustration.

If "someone" posted an "approach movie" containing just the raw and metadata, community science processed images would be available before the weekend was over (even without CK). biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 30 2022, 11:44 PM
Post #15

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

Luckily for me, compared to recent perjoves (maybe the past 10-20 or so), this was probably the best possible time for me for a delayed JunoCam data release. Had it been released on time I probably wouldn't have processed anything until at least a week later since I was recovering from covid. Now that I have fully recovered I'm starting to get a bit impatient.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:08 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.