Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 1 2022, 06:45 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 30 2022, 05:47 PM) *
FWIW, Junocam is not a pushbroom. There certainly shouldn't be any significant chromatic aberration, but there are plenty of ways for different color framelets to get misregistered, and that's probably more likely the farther you go from the optic axis.

So I agree with John.

It is indeed a type of pushbroom.
At any rate, it ain't chromatic aberration, which is purely optical.

"In addition to visible light filters, it also has a near infrared filter to help detect clouds; a methane filter in addition the visible color filters. The camera is a 'push-broom' type imager, generating an image as the spacecraft turns moving the sensor in sweeping motion over the observation area.[10]"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Oct 1 2022, 08:34 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 8250

Low Res PJ45 Jupiter Images overview exaggerated color/contrast.
Attached Image

(Edited)Full resolution version at https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=13963

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 1 2022, 05:15 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 184

Here's an approximate remapping of Bjorn's PJ45_2 image (in grayscale) blinking with the earlier map.

Attached Image

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Oct 1 2022, 06:33 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 9140

Nice work, scalbers!

It seems that maybe because Juno was so close to Europa that projecting the imagery as though the distance were infinity creates some significant distortion near the limb.

It's very nice how the coverage here happened to fill an area where existing coverage was particularly lacking, particularly in the north.

At a glance, it looks like the new imagery reveals some dark linea in the north that didn't exist before, but a less sensational explanation would be that the linea vary in visibility as a function of viewing geometry and that previous imagery was simply incapable of observing them. But I'm sure we'll hear an expert review soon.

The other thing that would be interesting to learn from this is if the slippage of Europa's icy shell over ~25 years is large enough to be detectible. The details near the terminator are extremely sensitive to the exact rotation between now and any points in the past. We know that the slippage occurs, and maybe 25 years is enough to give us the first direct measurement of it.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 1 2022, 06:42 PM
Post #66

Thanks StargazeinWonder - I was assuming a projection distance from 4 Europa radii. This can be adjusted now that I found the actual geometry on the Juno website. Indeed the illumination geometry and contrast are different, some adjustment of things may be possible along with adding some color info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 1 2022, 09:11 PM
Post #67

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 30 2022, 11:45 PM) *
At any rate....

You just cited a wikipedia page...which in turn is wrongly using a citation which is a paper on which Mike is a co-author.

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/pub/e/down...each_Camera.pdf

No where will you find the phrase pushbroom in that paper.

Because JunoCam - as Mike VERY correctly points out ( as he is - after all - the JunoCam systems engineer ) is NOT a pushbroom camera.

It is a pushFRAME camera which is very different.

It's probably best to trust the paper itself ( and one of its coauthors you were arguing with ) rather than a Wikipedia page editor who wrongly cited it.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 1 2022, 11:12 PM
Post #68

A 4K version of the earlier Europa blinking comparison, with more accurate mapping:

https://stevealbers.net/albers/sos/jupiter/...uropa_blink.gif

UPDATE: PJ45_4 now added.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Oct 1 2022, 11:34 PM
Post #69

That's a much better fit, scalbers! I'm sure that it took a lot of work. Also, it does a lot to resolve the question of "new" linea in the north. Because the existing imagery came from more than one (usually, in any area: one or two) different illuminations, we can see clearly that in some cases, the same linea appears dark in some earlier imagery, and light in others, then dark in the Juno imagery. I guess this is because of the interaction between some locally extreme topography and albedo, with a raised linea appearing lighter than (or the same brightness as) the background terrain when viewed fore-lit from the side, but darker than the background terrain when viewed from basically any other angle. Ultimately, we're not going to have a seamless map of Europa until we have every part of the surface viewed from approximately the same geometry… but until then, this work is great!

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 2 2022, 12:13 AM
Post #70

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (StargazeInWonder @ Oct 1 2022, 11:34 PM) *
That's a much better fit, scalbers! I'm sure that it took a lot of work. Also, it does a lot to resolve the question of "new" linea in the north. Because the existing imagery came from more than one (usually, in any area: one or two) different illuminations, we can see clearly that in some cases, the same linea appears dark in some earlier imagery, and light in others, then dark in the Juno imagery. I guess this is because of the interaction between some locally extreme topography and albedo, with a raised linea appearing lighter than (or the same brightness as) the background terrain when viewed fore-lit from the side, but darker than the background terrain when viewed from basically any other angle. Ultimately, we're not going to have a seamless map of Europa until we have every part of the surface viewed from approximately the same geometry… but until then, this work is great!

The relative contrast and brightness of various features on Europa is known to vary a lot depending on viewing geometry, even when the illumination geometry doesn't change much. Here is a particularly interesting example I posted somewhere years ago, a map-projected blink comparison of Galileo G1 and E14 images:

Attached Image

The image with overall lower contrast was obtained during Galileo's G1 orbit and the other one during Galileo's E14 orbit. These two images were obtained when the illumination geometry was very similar but the viewing geometry was not. The viewing geometry can be seen below:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Oct 2 2022, 02:15 PM
Post #71

What a perfect illustration, Bjorn. The topography of the ridges is visible and makes clear why the appearance depends so much on the geometry.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 2 2022, 04:42 PM
Post #72

Here's a color blinking 2K sized comparison:

Attached Image

Links for 4K comparison and 4K map.

The "map" version has some optimization of where the Juno vs Galileo / Voyager imagery is being used.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 3 2022, 04:19 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 5458

QUOTE (scalbers @ Oct 2 2022, 11:42 AM) *
Here's a color blinking 2K sized comparison:

Great comparison. Now, when do we get to argue over which has the more correct color?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniele_bianchin...
post Oct 3 2022, 08:32 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 7482

I image that never haven't an fantastic high resolution image like 12/m pixel Conamara Chaos from Galileo SSI?

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/web/asse...haos_schenk.jpg
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 3 2022, 01:00 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 1 2022, 04:11 PM) *
You just cited a wikipedia page...which in turn is wrongly using a citation which is a paper on which Mike is a co-author.

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/pub/e/down...each_Camera.pdf

No where will you find the phrase pushbroom in that paper.

Because JunoCam - as Mike VERY correctly points out ( as he is - after all - the JunoCam systems engineer ) is NOT a pushbroom camera.

It is a pushFRAME camera which is very different.

It's probably best to trust the paper itself ( and one of its coauthors you were arguing with ) rather than a Wikipedia page editor who wrongly cited it.

I called it a "pushbroom type" of camera, as did Wiki, referring to the general type of sensor on a rotating spacecraft. So, pushbroom, pushframe, whatever. No arguement intended, I learned there were different types of that type of system.
"At any rate", I was questioning whether the blue fringe was chromatic abberation. Correctly, it appears to be misregistration of the color channels.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.