IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's Your Special Interest In Spaceflight?
Steffen
post Dec 24 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 616

I have always been interested in spaceflight, especially unmanned exploration as those probes go where no one has gone before ...
Wondered if anyone has other hobbies as well?
(I like running & the internet)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 27 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #2

Guests

Well... spaceflight, let me think... Unmanned spacecraft maybe tongue.gif
Seriously, I'm especially interested in the ICT involved in unmanned space explorations ( Mars exploration is my all time favorite ) laugh.gif
Other hobbies? ... Astronomy & collecting stuff about... unmanned space

+Quote Post
um3k
post Dec 27 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 372

Photography and astronomy (including planetary exploration) are my main hobbies. I also do a little bit of video and like to build with lego bricks when I get a chance.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 27 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #4

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

trekking
dreaming...
reading
dreaming...
cooking
dreaming...
painting
dreaming...
writing
dreaming...
smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 29 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (um3k @ Dec 27 2005, 06:24 PM)
Photography and astronomy (including planetary exploration) are my main hobbies. I also do a little bit of video and like to build with lego bricks when I get a chance.

Lego, eh? We share a dark secret!

Great scenes From The Movies #45

Bob Shaw
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
um3k
post Dec 29 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Dec 29 2005, 11:37 AM)
Great scenes From The Movies #45

Bob Shaw

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 29 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #7

Guests

Nice, that scene from the movie " 2001 a space Odyssey ", pitty one of the astros is missing his/her visor... huh.gif
By the way, do You know the excellent book :
HAL's legacy - 2001's computer as dream and reality ( MIT Press 1997 ) (ISBN 0-262-19378-7)
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 29 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Dec 29 2005, 06:52 PM)
Nice, that scene from the movie " 2001 a space Odyssey ", pitty one of the astros is missing his/her visor...  huh.gif
By the way, do You know the excellent book :
HAL's legacy - 2001's computer as dream and reality ( MIT Press 1997 ) (ISBN 0-262-19378-7)
cool.gif

I suspect they were all boy astronauts - such was then the way! As for the visors, they are a result of my foolish inability to adhere to Rule 1 of toys: DON'T let kids near them!

The book you mention got some good reviews, but I have yet to read it - I did, however, recently obtain a copy of the 1994 Piers Bizony book, 2001: filming the future. It's excellent, with lots of background re the development of Discovery etc. It was published by Aurum Press at £14.95 ISBN 1 85410-365 2. I got mine via eBay for much less than that, though.

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Dec 30 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Dec 29 2005, 04:37 PM)
I suspect they were all boy astronauts - such was then the way! As for the visors, they are a result of my foolish inability to adhere to Rule 1 of toys: DON'T let kids near them!

The book you mention got some good reviews, but I have yet to read it - I did, however, recently obtain a copy of the 1994 Piers Bizony book, 2001: filming the future. It's excellent, with lots of background re the development of Discovery etc. It was published by Aurum Press at £14.95 ISBN 1 85410-365 2. I got mine via eBay for much less than that, though.

Bob Shaw

Was the human crew on the Discovery really necessary? I think HAL 9000 was right - humans just got in the way. It could have easily carried out the mission and likely better communicated with the Monolith than the humans could. What were those three guys in suspended animation supposed to do anyway?

FYI - Some of the book HAL's Legacy is online here:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/Hal/

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Dec 30 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 103

For you youngsters out there... you need to know that in the days before DVDs and even VCRs, we would go to theatres and see movies, frequently more than once.

In 1968, the year "2001" came out, and the subsequent two years, I saw that movie in the theatres 31 times...15 of those in Cinerama, the rest in "regular" theatres. Some day I'll have to build my own home Cinerama projection screen so I can relive the thrill as often as I want!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 31 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Dec 30 2005, 05:46 PM)
Was the human crew on the Discovery really necessary?  I think HAL 9000 was right - humans just got in the way.  It could have easily carried out the mission and likely better communicated with the Monolith than the humans could.  What were those three guys in suspended animation supposed to do anyway?

FYI - Some of the book HAL's Legacy is online here:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/Hal/

The guys in the hibernaculae - Kaminski, White, and Hunter (or not, depending on the source) - were officially the Jupiter Survey Team, but were actually the ET Contact Squad. Dave Bowman and Frank Poole were just jobbing astronauts, and could well have been treated as redundant, but the other guys were privy to the true goals of the mission. Heywood Floyd's message to Discovery was really just for Bowman and Poole - the others were spooks. For references, try Arthur C Clarke's The Lost Worlds of 2001 and, of course, Jerome Agel's seminal work on 2001. As for poor HAL, he might have communicated with the aliens, but he'd not have made the sort of contact which was desired by them - they required an intelligence capable of transcending, and HAL was never going to do that, but Dave could...

FWIW, Clarke originally called HAl 'Athena'. This makes me somewhat wary of most Mars rovers...

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 31 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #12

Guests

Look where this topic is heading ... 2001 a space odyssey !

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 21 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #13

Guests

Anyone using a telescope to watch the planets?
I have a 6 inch refractor with focal length 1200 mm which gives great views of Saturn & Jupiter ... and Mars when the planet is in opposition wink.gif

+Quote Post
um3k
post Jan 25 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 21 2006, 03:34 PM)
Anyone using a telescope to watch the planets?
I have a 6 inch refractor with focal length 1200 mm which gives great views of Saturn & Jupiter ... and Mars when the planet is in opposition  wink.gif

I have the same. Mine is a Cave Astrola. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.