Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
New dust devils spotted in old Phoenix images
peter59
post Apr 28 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 299

On 20 April 2008, MRO spotted two dust devils at the centre of the landing ellipse, which measures 20 by 100 kilometres across. Based on the shadows the dust devils cast on the surface, researchers estimate that one stretched to about 920 metres in height, while the other reached 790 metres.
Attached Image

I noticed one very big column on picture ss141rad908730636 (Sol 141). This may be dust devil towering hundreds meters high, or .... artefact.
Attached Image

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Apr 28 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 279

With the column on the right, there's an increased density on both edges of the funnel above ground level, which I'd expect to see in a rotating tube o' dust => not an artifact?

Andy

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 29 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4489

peter59
???? by chance did you mean to post this i a year old thread ???
about working with a 32 bit image format on ( i think MS windows box)

that is very easy on *nix but not so easy on windows

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 29 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5221

For a few moments I thought you were implying that the dust devil is one and the same in both images, but I double-checked the dates and of course that's a month before landing.
Would be rather spooky otherwise. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Apr 29 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #5

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

Wow. Quite real. Other dust devils have been noted in full resolution images: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2009/pdf/1799.pdf, and /or http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/08091...ust-devils.html.

Meteorology-sensed dust devils as well as imaged one are discussed in a recent JGR (for those so inclined and with access). Abstract: http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2010/2009JE003413.shtml

Anyway, I haven't heard of one (or, now, several) in one of the low-res horizon movies. And I like your enhancements to show details in the structure. Here is a contrast-enhanced version of all 32 frames. The dust devils show up late. You also see cloud and cloud-shadows moving around. I omitted time stamps, but it is about 50 sec per frame.

http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/phx_enhanced_141_1FBC3R2.gif

Edit: well this is sad--the activity claims to be a deliberate dust devil search, which explains the low pointing compared to normal horizon movies, which look at clouds. So it should have been seen, oh, 540 sols ago...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 29 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I split the dust devil posts into a new topic. Well spotted, Peter59!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 29 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Wow. Can I ask a somewhat vague question: without the contrast enhancement, would the clouds look that dramatic to a human on scene? The contrast-enhanced version looks positively stormy.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Apr 29 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Wonderful enhancement work on those DDs.
Wish I had had the ability to do that kind of stuff way back when I first posted a movie file of the tall DDs that appeared on Sol104.

Nobody believed me back then that they were there. Ah, vindication....it feels good. smile.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 29 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Apr 29 2010, 06:27 PM) *
Nobody believed me back then that they were there. Ah, vindication....it feels good. smile.gif laugh.gif

Laughed out loud at that one. Guess you need a plate-of-crow emoticon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.