27 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn Mission, pre-launch disscusion
BPCooper
post Jul 8 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #286

Group: Members
Member No.: 534

Florida Today's blog reports "late September" window opening. Since they did not give out a date, it might be dependent on when Phoenix gets off the ground. There is also a GPS satellite due to launch in September from 17, so they might have some things to rework (I think GPS was going to be pad B originally, maybe not anymore).

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jul 8 2007, 05:42 AM
Post #287

Member No.: 535

Yep. Gotta make sure Phoenix launches in time so it can make its May 2008 collision with the Martian surface. J/k. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 8 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #288

Member No.: 174

The whole sorry list of excuses involving the range problems simply shows how badly range capabilities have deteoriated (I believe there were congressional hearings on it a few years ago!), and how fragile currently obsolescent systems are to the lack of redundancy, etc.

The "NewSpace" companies like SpaceX are flying innovative capabilities while things like Delta-II are flying what's probably cannot-purchase-new-if-you-wanted-it-now capabilities, and we're at their mercy.

(Query: How was Falcon's flight telemetry and video transmitted and relayed?... Kwaj range resources, or what?)

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Jul 8 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #289

Member No.: 734

QUOTE (edstrick @ Jul 8 2007, 03:51 AM) *
1. The whole sorry list of excuses involving the range problems simply shows how badly range capabilities have deteoriated (I believe there were congressional hearings on it a few years ago!), and how fragile currently obsolescent systems are to the lack of redundancy, etc.

2, The "NewSpace" companies like SpaceX are flying innovative capabilities while things like Delta-II are flying what's probably cannot-purchase-new-if-you-wanted-it-now capabilities, and we're at their mercy.
(Query: How was Falcon's flight telemetry and video transmitted and relayed?... Kwaj range resources, or what?)

The range capabilities have not "deteoriated ". The Eastern Range never had the capability to support these requirements. Outside agencies (ARIA, etc) were always brought in to fill the holes. This is an mostly issue for planetary missions, the earth escape burns are scattered all over the globe and there is never a fixed TM site near by. Also NASA has the requirement to monitor every engine burn, which wasn't always in effect in past years

2. Not true. Spacex would have the same issues. It used standard range resources. Spacex might not have the same TM requirements. NASA has the requirement to monitor every engine burn. And NASA bought the Delta II's as is

TDRSS is the fix but the design of the Delta II would require 2 transmitters, one for the 2nd stage and one for the 3rd. This adds more $$$ and less payload mass. There is resistant to add the capability (Delta IV and Atlas V have them) and rightly so, since the Delta II line will end so

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 9 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #290

Member No.: 530

I have to admit that after being internet-less for a wedding this weekend, I find the events here confusing, more so by the muddled reporting from various news sources.

What happened to trying today or next week? Did the plane's wings fall off or something?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 9 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #291

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Maybe this will help...
http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0709_Ea...awn_Launch.html

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Littlebit
post Jul 9 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #292

Member No.: 1041

Interesting gamble: Risk $5m to save $20m, if an early launch can be pulled off.

From the discussion on this board, isn't it clear factors other than weather were important in delaying the launch prior to the final 3-day window?

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Jul 9 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #293

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 9 2007, 01:49 PM) *

I just want to clarify. Both Dawn's and Phoenix's rockets are already stacked. The problem is not that you cannot launch on one pad while there is a rocket on the other; they do that all the time. What they don't do is launch while a spacecraft is on the other pad. Dawn itself will be removed, but its rocket will remain. Likewise, Dawn would have launched with Phoenix's Delta on the opposite pad, but not Phoenix itself, which would have waited for Dawn to go and the pad to be cleaned up before being mounted atop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 9 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #294

Administrator

Woops, I misunderstood. I've made various changes to the article to correct this. Thanks, Ben.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Jul 9 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #295

No problem just want to help :-)

It looks like Sept. 7th is indeed the opening of the window with a launch in the morning (9am-ish maybe).

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 9 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #296

Administrator

Wonder why Jim Green refused to be at all specific on the date that the period opens during the press conference.

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Jul 9 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #297

It may be true that if Phoenix doesn't get off till late in the window, they can't get Dawn up in time for Sept. 7. But I don't know. Florida Today has a quote in their blog today saying "Sept. 7 to about Oct. 17."

http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/sect...category=news02

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 10 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #298

Member No.: 174

"...The range capabilities have not "deteoriated ". The Eastern Range never had the capability to support these requirements..."

I'd have to dig in buried boxes containing Aviation Weeks and Space Newses and internet printouts to find the materials on range problems and I can't for some months to be able to back up my overall allegation-from-memory of range problems. On the specific interplay of problems here, I'll have to take your info as based on much more accurate specifics than my generalized and faded memory of old articles.

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Jul 10 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #299

Member No.: 734

QUOTE (edstrick @ Jul 10 2007, 05:30 AM) *
"...The range capabilities have not "deteoriated ". The Eastern Range never had the capability to support these requirements..."

I'd have to dig in buried boxes containing Aviation Weeks and Space Newses and internet printouts to find the materials on range problems and I can't for some months to be able to back up my overall allegation-from-memory of range problems. On the specific interplay of problems here, I'll have to take your info as based on much more accurate specifics than my generalized and faded memory of old articles.

Only Apollo placed ships and aircraft to monitor all burns. ELV's never had the luxury. ARIA went away because there weren't enough users

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Jul 10 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #300

Member No.: 127

How does this slip change the mission profile (e.g. arrival dates, potential mission extensions)?

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.