62 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
mhoward
post Jun 14 2005, 03:44 AM
Post #211

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Helvick: Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Good points.

Switching topics, version 1.1.5 is now up, featuring some improvements to the automatic update feature that I noticed I wanted when using it today.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Charlie
post Jun 15 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #212

Group: Members
Member No.: 395

Test.

+Quote Post
Charlie
post Jun 15 2005, 07:18 AM
Post #213

Hi Mike,

I set the "Network Timeout" pref to 120, but it still occasionally hangs, and just takes longer before a retry. Creating a dummy file has worked a few times.

Is it possible to have a setting such that it will only attempt to download a file say, twice, and then it might give up and skip that file? Or can I create a skip file list?

The program is great, even though I have this glitch. The automatic update feature is great. Thanks!

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jun 15 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #214

It might be possible to do something like that; I'll try to look at it soon. I'm still not sure why you're having problems downloading particular files though.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jun 15 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #215

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Charlie,

Are you sure the problem is with MMB and not with something else on your system or with your service provider either choking on those particular files or requests?

I've never had a hitch with any files but I have had problems like this with my local firewall and I've also had problems in the past with an Antivirus scanner that was a bit overzealous in how it chose to scan internet downloads.

Just a long shot but it's a really weird error and I'm curious, it's the sort of thing I have users call

+Quote Post
Charlie
post Jun 15 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #216

helvick,

Thanks for your reply. Often, it is helpful to simply hear that someone else does not have the same problem as it allows one to focus better on the true cause. What is your system config?

I can't say that I am sure it is MMB. The downloads work about 75% of the time. But when it sticks on a particular image, it sticks on that image for a couple of days, even if I reboot and restart MMB. I have found that if I replace the "bad" file locally with a dummy .jpg file with a newer date, then MMB will skip it and merrily complete the rest of the download. Could be a bad file? Could be Java? Who knows.

I don't mean to make too big a deal of this. MMB is great and I have a work around (although cumbersome). A quicker work around would be nice. Right now I have to make a dummy file, give it the right name and put it in the right place. If no one else has this issue, then donít mind me.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jun 16 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #217

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Charlie @ Jun 15 2005, 10:12 PM)
helvick,

Thanks for your reply. Often, it is helpful to simply hear that someone else does not have the same problem as it allows one to focus better on the true cause. What is your system config?

I'm just intrigued by the problem, can't help myself when I see a weird problem. smile.gif

For reference - I'm running on an IBM Thinkpad T41P (1.8Ghz Pentium M, 1GB RAM, 60G HDD with about 15GB free). Windows XP SP2, BlackIce "firewall", connecting via a range of sources (Home DSL, various WLAN hotspots in Ireland and in Israel and Germany as I'm travelling at the moment in Israel via Germany) running on J2RE , SE 1.4.2_08. The only time I have issues are when I'm running over a connection that requires a proxy to connect - ie at work. I assume I could now use the MMB proxy support to get around that but don't want to incur the wrath of our internet connectivity folks.

Do you have the option of using an alternative internet provider, even temporarily, just to sanity check that the problem is actually with MMB or at least on your PC and not something bizarre between your machine and the exploratorium site?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jun 17 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #218

Version 1.1.6 fixes it so that an error downloading a single image won't terminate the download. Also I have changed anaglyph generation to eliminate the left and right borders, so the anaglyphs will be easier to put into panoramas. I guess they look nicer, too.

http://midnightmarsbrowser.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Charlie
post Jun 18 2005, 06:56 AM
Post #219

Thank you Mike,

I was waiting for the problem to pop up again, but now it may never.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jun 18 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #220

Member No.: 124

Thanks again for all your hard work Mike - 'tis a thing of beauty!

The folks at Seagate will prolly be thanking you as well since we all are going to need bigger hard drives to deal with all the movies and panoramas we'll be generating... tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 5 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #221

Just to keep this thread alive, there are some screenshots of what's under development for the next release posted on the Midnight Mars Browser homepage. Happy fourth!

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 5 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #222

Member No.: 124

*-gulp-*

that's.....

so....

amazinG! biggrin.gif

It's like Maestro never went away!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Nix
post Jul 5 2005, 07:37 AM
Post #223

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

ohmy.gif Very nice! A superb feature!!

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons & http://www.awalkonmars.net

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 5 2005, 09:29 AM
Post #224

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

One word.

How?

ohmy.gif

smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jul 5 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #225

Member No.: 16

I think ohmy.gif sums it up really!

I can't wait... smile.gif

--------------------
My MER & MSL Imagery site - Martian Vistas ---- Twitter Feed (including sol by sol updates on Opportunity's activity)
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

62 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 12:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.