64 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
dot.dk
post Jul 5 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 5 2005, 09:29 AM)
One word.

How?

ohmy.gif

smile.gif

Doug

Another word. When? smile.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 5 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #227

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

To answer how: It turns out it's not as difficult as I thought, using Java3D. (I've always wanted to do this, but I assumed it was basically impossible.) I've extracted the camera pointing information from the headers of the PDS IMG files that are available (Sol 1-270) and used the information to create pan definition files (my own "mmb" format, which I'm still refining). We should be able to create "best guess" pan definitions for more recent sols for which the data hasn't been released yet.

To answer when: I hope to have a first version out within a couple weeks so you can play with it, but no promises. It's working pretty well in development but I need to finalize some details and add some polish before it's ready to release into the wild.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 5 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #228

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Ahh - from the IMG's..I was thinking "huh - how'd he get pointing from a jpg?"

smile.gif

Now - we just need to twist your arm to decode the xyz models from every stereo pair and we're on a winner smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 6 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #229

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 5 2005, 02:23 PM)
Ahh - from the IMG's..I was thinking "huh - how'd he get pointing from a jpg?"

I wish I could get pointing from the jpg's. I also rather wish they weren't stretched. smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 6 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #230

Founder

If you're going from IMG's - then you should pop in the radiometric offset and stretch and get lovely calibrated seamless pictures smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
crabbsaline
post Jul 9 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #231

Member No.: 199

Mike,

I eagerly anticipate the new features that you have in the works. Keep up the good work!

Btw, I have considered sending an e-mail to Exploratorium to see why no new images are being posted. However, it would be less stressful on them if these requests pass through a single liason (i.e: you). Could you please ask them why no new images? Is it related to some downtime for the past July 4th holiday, and the vacations that often occur at this time? Is it due to the ending of 2nd quarter budget?

C'mon. I've got the shakes here. I need more MMB!

Much Thanks,

Brad

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 9 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #232

I think it would be a good idea for anyone who's concerned to contact Exploratorium. It'd probably help them to know that people are eagerly watching their site. Donating to Exploratorium is always a good idea, too, if you haven't done it.

Update: I've sent them an email, we'll see what they say.

+Quote Post
crabbsaline
post Jul 9 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 199

Glad to hear that you contacted them. I'll send an additional query. I just didn't know if the best approach was for one person to speak for several, or for us to send them several messages. It is easier on them to respond to the former, but the latter more cleary demonstrates the audience that they have.

Btw, have you ever invited an Exploratorium Representitive to participate in this board?

Donation is certainly a fair thing to do. For the enjoyment that I've received from their timely updates, it was well worth giving something in return.

Much Thanks,

Brad

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 11 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #234

Version 1.2 is now posted, featuring an early version of the Panorama feature.

Consider the Panorama feature to be in an experimental stage. Java 3D is required, so check out the updated installation instructions if you want to use the feature.

Currently only pans from Sol 1-270 are available, since they can be generated from the rover data that has been released to the public. Next thing I'll be working on is a way to easily create "best guess" pans for sols that aren't in the PDS release yet.

Have fun! And remember this is an early version. I'm putting it out now because I know there are a couple people who want a look at it.

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 11 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #235

Member No.: 110

Wow! Feels like I'm there.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 12 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #236

I heard back from Exploratorium and they were trying to get the issue resolved. Exploratorium is updated this morning with four new rear hazcam images from Opportunity Sol 511 - quite what that means I'm not sure, but perhaps regular updates have resumed now. They were hoping that all the "missed" images would show up but looks like maybe that is not going to be the case. Oh well - if you use MMB you got all the updates from the JPL site anyway (assuming *they* are posting everything...)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 12 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #237

Founder

JPL's not had anything since last week either

Doug

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 12 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #238

Well I just hope *somebody* fills in the gaps here eventually. I'm used to delays at the JPL site, I'm still hoping the images will show up there. unsure.gif

FYI, MMB users, I just did a Advanced Image Update from JPL for both rovers from Sol 400 on, with the Fast Update option checked, and it picked up some Oppy images that it hadn't caught before. Nothing really spectacular but still, you might want to swing back and pick those up if you're trying to maintain a complete set of images. If you use the Fast Update option it won't take very long.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 18 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #239

My first post-Sol-270 Midnight Mars Browser panorama has been posted; here is a screenshot.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 22 2005, 04:51 AM
Post #240

Version 1.2.1 is now up, featuring many improvements and fixes to the new Panorama feature.

Here is a navcam panorama from Spirit Sol 550 that I threw together this evening:

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.