IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

38 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Reprocessing Historical Images, Looking for REALLY big challenges?
ugordan
post Nov 24 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #316

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Curious, I would have expected Triton's disk to have shrunk to a much smaller orb by then than the above image shows, taking into account the substantial heliocentric velocity of Voyager 2 (in excess of 10 km/s). Neptune-relative speed was probably also of similar magnitude.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Nov 24 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #317

Member No.: 174

Tedstryk -- Ok... I didn't realize that. Triton's fairly close in so it's got a fairly short orbital period.

Ugordan -- Remember. Triton's a good sized moon... About half way in size between Rhea/Iapetus/titania/Oberon and Io/Luna/Europa.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 24 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #318

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This is part of the reprocessed Surveyor 3 panorama showing the footpad imprints uphill from the landing point.

According to the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal the astronauts never mentioned seeing the uphill imprints at all. Their attention was solely on the spacecraft and regolith immediately around it (trenches, prints from the last little bounce).

My image labels the footpad imprints. Just 'inside' each one is a separate small print from the crushable blocks on the legs. A brighter, smoother area 'inside' the left-most print was described as due to vernier erosion in the Surveyor 3 report.

Phil

Attached Image

(PS if you think this image is junk you should have seen the originals)

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Nov 24 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #319

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 24 2005, 03:59 PM)
This is part of the reprocessed Surveyor 3 panorama showing the fotpad imprints uphill from the landing point.

According to the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal the astronauts never mentioned seeing the uphill imprints at all.  Their attention was solely on the spacecraft and regolith immediately around it (trenches, prints from the last little bounce). 

My image labels the footpad imprints.  Just 'inside' each one is a separate small print from the crushable blocks on the legs.  A brighter, smoother area 'inside' the left-most print was described as due to vernier erosion in the Surveyor 3 report.

Phil

(PS if you think this image is junk you should have seen the originals)

Phil:

Trumps, as usual! Funny the astronauts didn't see the imprints - from some angles compacted regolith is almost shiny, and they wandered about in the general area a fair old bit. Do you reckon any of the imprints are visible in the middle-distance EVA shots, particularly the ones looking uphill on the crater bowl?

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Enrique Bunbury
post Nov 25 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #320

Member No.: 574

OMG! All pics are incredible, great work all

By the way ... can anyone work in a N2 Geiser of Triton ¿? It should be great

tedstryk Great page and blog

--------------------
Ahora mismo lo único urgente es ir de frente - Enrique Bunbury

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 25 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #321

Bob, I did some detective work. The only image which looks in the right direction is AS12-48-7101. On ALSJ it's too small to help. A really good scan of it might show the left-most (northern) footpad imprint. If anyone out there is in a position to oblige us...

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 25 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #322

This is something I've been doing on the side... just to show what can be done.

Phil

Please note: the 'digital scale' note about 5 m/pixel is true for a full-size file. This is reduced to 10 m/pixel for posting. Geodetic control is from Peter Thomas's shape model.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 25 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #323

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 25 2005, 10:56 PM)
This is something I've been doing on the side... just to show what can be done.

Phil

Please note: the 'digital scale' note about 5 m/pixel is true for a full-size file.  This is reduced to 10 m/pixel for posting.  Geodetic control is from Peter Thomas's shape model.

Great work Both the Surveyor 3 work and the Deimos map.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 26 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #324

Here is yet another improved version of the proteus image. It is reduced to about 1.8 km/pixel, a size that allows a bit more buildup to compensate for the lack of grey levels without giving up resoluton on higher contrast features that can be determined in the image. Color is based on the lone color mosaic of Proteus, and several papers that indicate an overal red color based on ground-based data.

I have also made it look dim - after all, Proteus is about as reflective as a lump of coal. Also, this helps in not straining the greyscale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 29 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #325

Here is a supres image of Ariel that I have been working on. It still needs a lot of work, but progress is being made.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 30 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #326

Member No.: 172

Ted,
WOW ! You deserve 5 "MER wheels" for your work !
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
The Universe would look so "shapeless" without you...

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 29 2005, 10:27 PM)
Here is a supres image of Ariel that I have been working on.  It still needs a lot of work, but progress is being made.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 30 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #327

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Nov 30 2005, 01:48 PM)
Ted,
WOW ! You deserve 5 "MER wheels" for your work !
wheel.gif  wheel.gif  wheel.gif  wheel.gif  wheel.gif
The Universe would look so "shapeless" without you...

Thanks! That image set has a lot more potential....I am not through.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_spaceffm_*
post Nov 30 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #328

Guests

great work tedstryk!

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 1 2005, 07:34 AM
Post #329

Member No.: 174

Ted: I don't know the details of the Aerial image set, but I recall that some (in some areas all) of the high rezolution images were distinctly image-motion smeared. (The best Umbriel images seem to have some smear, too) Do you have any software that can use (FFT for example) advanced image processing to deconvolve the smear? Super-resolution processing has all sorts of benefits, but starting with damaged data never helps.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 1 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #330

QUOTE (edstrick @ Dec 1 2005, 07:34 AM)
Ted:  I don't know the details of the Aerial image set, but I recall that some (in some areas all) of the high rezolution images were distinctly image-motion smeared.  (The best Umbriel images seem to have some smear, too)  Do you have any software that can use (FFT for example) advanced image processing to deconvolve the smear?  Super-resolution processing has all sorts of benefits, but starting with damaged data never helps.

I do have some software. One of the images I de-smeared a bit, the other one was too smeared to recover and so I didn't use it. And there were two images that were sharp.

--------------------

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.