IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Vega spacecraft trajectories, Recreating the Vega missions
claurel
post Jun 10 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 514

A group of people are trying to recreate the Soviet Vega missions in Celestia: launch, Venus lander separation, balloon deployment, and Comet Halley encounter. Unfortunately, it's proven difficult to find trajectory data for the mission. SPICE kernels exist for a time span of about two weeks around the Halley encounter, but that's it. Any pointers to trajectory information for other parts of the missions would be much appreciated. Other information that would be interesting is the approximate course of the balloons in the Venusian atmosphere. I'm not expecting that we'll be able to replicate the trajectories of all components to the millimeter, but we'd like to avoid using 'artistic license' as much as possible.

Thanks,

--Chris

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
CAP-Team
post Jun 10 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1067

Same thing goes for the Giotto mission, I haven't been able to find spice kernels for the time of the Halley flyby, only from the time Giotto passed Earth in 1999 (I think).

+Quote Post
IM4
post Aug 15 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1172

QUOTE (claurel @ Jun 10 2008, 10:07 PM) *
Other information that would be interesting is the approximate course of the balloons in the Venusian atmosphere. I'm not expecting that we'll be able to replicate the trajectories of all components to the millimeter, but we'd like to avoid using 'artistic license' as much as possible.

Several Vega related preprints are available via ADS, some of them may have useful information
Like this table:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.