Martian Cartography
Rain
post Nov 28 2018, 10:36 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 4186

https://www.voxxlr.com/1531074107806

My Mars model

Where can i get digital elevation data for Mars?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Nov 28 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #92

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Rain @ Nov 28 2018, 02:36 AM) *

My Mars model

HiRISE DEMs are available here: https://www.uahirise.org/dtm/ Keep in mind that the corner coordinates can be of by quite a bit.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Jan 7 2019, 08:02 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 2461

I am currently doing some Mars cartography work and just realised that Spirit and Opportunity tracks in Mars2000 Sphere projection published at Analyst's Notebook don't align with Google Earth kml based data and vice versa. Does anyone have any idea which projection is used to display Google Mars data, as it does not seem to use standard GSC/WGS84? Thank you.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 9 2019, 04:58 AM
Post #94

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I don't know, but I looked at the traverse map in Analysts Notebook and it matches the background map properly. That map is in a cylindrical projection. It might be that cylindrical projection data have been mapped straight onto the GE globe without correction.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 9 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (Rain @ Nov 28 2018, 11:36 AM) *

My Mars model

Sorry for late reply,
you can download global DEMs from MOLA altimeter here: http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/missions/mgs/megdr.html
There is also combined MOLA/HRSC DEM here but for now server is down thanks to US budget shutdown.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 9 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #96

New version (1.2) of my Topographic Map of Mars.
It contains all official names up to end of year 2018 but main difference between this version and the previous one is new base map with higher resolution
so now map shows almost twice as much details.
There are also new mini scale bars directly in the map so estimating size of surface features is now much easier when browsing at full resolution.
PDF version (171 MB!) contains on top of that more detailed regional maps of most of the landing sites including some future ones (Jezero crater and Oxia Planum).
More detailed description of changes is on my blog (in Czech language but there is a Google translate button on the page).

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 10 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 172

[quote name='machi' date='Jan 9 2019, 10:45 PM' post='243339']

What a feat ! Congratulations Machi for this outstanding work wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Btw, about the deepest point in Hellas, which figure you would recommend for EPO purposes, please : the one derived from MOLA or the one from HRSC ?

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 11 2019, 01:38 AM
Post #98

Thank you!

I would recommend HRSC result. MOLA result is in this case affected by lack of coverage as it clearly missed the lowest point.
It's a pity that MOLA suffered fatal malfunction long before MGS' end of mission. We could have better coverage of the Martian surface by the laser altimetry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 11 2019, 09:53 AM
Post #99

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (machi @ Jan 11 2019, 02:38 AM) *
Thank you! I would recommend HRSC result. MOLA result is in this case affected by lack of coverage as it clearly missed the lowest point.
It's a pity that MOLA suffered fatal malfunction long before MGS' end of mission. We could have better coverage of the Martian surface by the laser altimetry.

Dear Machi, Thank you very much for your kind answer smile.gif

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Jan 11 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 2461

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 9 2019, 05:58 AM) *
I don't know, but I looked at the traverse map in Analysts Notebook and it matches the background map properly. That map is in a cylindrical projection. It might be that cylindrical projection data have been mapped straight onto the GE globe without correction.

Phil

First of all, thank you Phil very much for your attention, I was really hoping for your answer.
Yes, the Analyst's track aligns perfectly with HiRISE imagery as well as with stereo DTM's in Equirectengular Cylindrical Projection using Mars2000 sphere. What does not align are Opportunity tracks (and other Mars data) I originaly got in KML format. The first picture illustrates the point. Even when the track is reprojected from basic WGS84 to Mars2000 sphere datum, KML track still won't align.
And vice versa. When I load SHP Analyst's track into GE Mars, it is off by about 200 meters (second picture), but all KML based data aligns nicely.
It appears to me the problem lies with the the fact the apparently unknown datum other than WGS84 or Mars2000 Sphere is used by Google Mars, and so the transformation does not work out.
For Curiosty rover I only have Fernando Nogal's excellent track in KML and am not sure how well it aligns when reprojected onto EC Mars2000 Sphere map
Is it in the right place or is off by the same amount as the other KML Mars data?

Thank you in advance, Jack
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2019 - 05:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.