Reply to this topicStart new topic
ExoMars
djellison
post Jul 18 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #481

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I believe it would be attached to the lander itself ( think the MER lander ) - as there are artists impressions that show the lander to not be a dead piece of hardware post-rover departure, but a standalone spacecraft of its own with solar panels etc.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 18 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #482

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

That's right, the lander is supposed to operate (for a year, possibly) on its own after the big rover leaves. This little nanokhod will be tethered and will allow a little bit of extra exploration to be done at the landing site.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 18 2014, 09:59 PM
Post #483

Member No.: 6780

Any idea, whether this applies also to the 2016 EDM mission?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 18 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #484

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No. This is 2018. A Russian lander with a Russian nanorover ("based on a Russian concept"). The 2016 lander is just ESA.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 18 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #485

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thanks, Doug & Phil. It's an exciting concept just as a tech demo on its own. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't think anyone's tried to fly a tethered 'rover' of any sort since the Soviets back in the 70s.

Still wondering when they're gonna nail everything down in CDR, though. Time's starting to get short.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jul 19 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #486

Member No.: 351

I've found it hard to get information on the Russian station that will operate from the ExoMars 2018 descent stage. The best I've been able to learn is that an announcement to select instruments is expected this year.

The rover sounds cool, but a careful reading of the abstract suggests that it may be one of the "instruments" to be proposed rather than a decided on component.

I'm hoping that the Russian station carries copies of InSight's seismometer and heat probe instruments. Both are European instruments, and that would help selection, and measurements from a second location would be useful. However, deploying them might require a dedicated arm that might be a capability to far for the station.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobik
post Jul 19 2014, 07:06 AM
Post #487

Member No.: 6732

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 18 2014, 10:15 PM) *
... The ESA site doesn't seem to have any current information.

Yeah, it's a pity! Inside ExoMars - Quarterly Newsletter is abandoned and the Test Campaign Journal no longer updated. The same apparently happened to the BepiColombo Test Campaign Journal.

+Quote Post
stone
post Jul 21 2014, 09:35 AM
Post #488

Member No.: 6845

QUOTE (bobik @ Jul 19 2014, 09:06 AM) *
Yeah, it's a pity! Inside ExoMars - Quarterly Newsletter is abandoned and the Test Campaign Journal no longer updated. The same apparently happened to the BepiColombo Test Campaign Journal.

On Friday Jorge Vago talked about the two missions at the 8th conference on Mars about ExoMars 2016 and 2018. The Russian landing platform is in very early stage and the instruments and equipment is not selected yet. The EDL is already in a good shape and the instruments are selected and the structure is already built. He hinted that there might be a camera on the EDL, so lets wait what they come up with.

It is sad that there is no good updating of the documents for the public, but I see that most of the people who might know what should be written very involved to finish hardware, and in the decision to do hardware or documents I would also do the hardware.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 30 2014, 03:57 PM
Post #489

Member No.: 321

According to this source, ExoMars will "likely" miss the 2018 launch window and if so, would have to wait for a 2020 launch/2021 arrival, and the mission is not guaranteed to occur at all.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/exomars2018_2014.html

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Aug 4 2014, 08:53 AM
Post #490

Member No.: 381

At least the 2016 Trace Gas Orbiter launch is holding. I doubt the rover will be canceled, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor-to-moderate descoping of the payload in reaction to the funding problems.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Oct 3 2014, 12:14 AM
Post #491

Member No.: 6336

Four landing sites for the ESA's Mars rover indicated on a new ESA page dated Oct 1, Mawrth Vallis, Oxia Planum, Hypanis Vallis and Aram Dorsum all close to the equator and all in areas with plenty of signs of flowing water in the early history of the planet.
The choice still to be decided but the text give a hint that Oxia Planum might be a favourite.

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Oct 5 2014, 02:49 AM
Post #492

Member No.: 381

Interesting that the candidate landing site maps show landing ellipses for both 2018 and 2020 launches. It's good that they're ready for all contingencies.

+Quote Post
SpaceScout
post Oct 5 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #493

Member No.: 7229

I am trying to open the report but the "link to publication" at the ESA website doesn't seem to work for me. Could anyone open and download the report? Thank you.

ADMIN: It downloaded fine from the "link to publication" link for me. The file is 15.1mb and in PDF format. Make sure you have Acrobat available to read the file.

--------------------
space scout

+Quote Post
SpaceScout
post Oct 15 2014, 04:28 PM
Post #494

Member No.: 7229

the link works now.

--------------------
space scout

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 15 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #495

Member No.: 6780

In the context of the discussion of wheel slip observed for MSL, here a video showing a "wheel walking" approach intended to overcome the slip in sandy terrain.

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:15 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.