Reply to this topicStart new topic
More Wet Gullies
marsbug
post Dec 13 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1563

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 13 2013, 12:59 AM) *
I can't yet see these features as anything but dry granular flows. I'm willing to be shown I am wrong...

Phil

I'm more or less of the same mind: I don't see any specific reason why they shouldn't be caused by some kind of brine...but I see no reason why they should be, brine just being one of a great many alternative explanations. I think this story is really riding in the wake of the discovery of ancient habitable conditions at Curiositie's site.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Dec 13 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (marsbug @ Dec 13 2013, 05:57 AM) *
... I don't see any specific reason why they shouldn't be caused by some kind of brine...but I see no reason why they should be, brine just being one of a great many alternative explanations. ...

Agreed. This may be troublesome to sort-out. Even given remote measurements of associated water vapor, I could envision a dust-fall yielding a water vapor release due to the exposure of subsurface ice/brine, rather than being directly associated with a liquid seep. It seems we would need to image actual flowing water to resolve this, and I think even MRO lacks that level of resolution.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Dec 15 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1563

I stumbled across this on the bbc science and technilogy site: Water carved gullies on Vesta? I'm just bringing it up to make the point: Features that are very suggestive of a water like fluid occur even on worlds where the idea of ANY liquid surface water strains the imagination.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 22 2013, 07:51 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (marsbug @ Dec 15 2013, 05:18 PM) *
Features that are very suggestive of a water like fluid occur even on worlds where the idea of ANY liquid surface water strains the imagination.

Funny that you mentioned that one, since I have used those features on Vesta as one example that the gullies on Mars must have been done by the same kind of flow. Saying that it in both cases must be extremely dry dust that without any trace of humidity (causing stickiness) creating flows that resemble one made by a liquid.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.