IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
One Martian Year!, And still going strong...
hansvi
post Nov 22 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 559

What a mission! And it seems they might last another martian year! If they can operate the rovers until the batteries are as dead as the one in my cellphone, they will have squeezed every last drop of science out of them I guess. (Even then, the rovers could still carry on; I have read the batteries can be disconnected, running the rover solely on solar power).

Looking forward, I wonder what the next milestone will be. Has any of the rovers left the landing ellipse yet?

Keep it coming!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Nov 22 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 385

Next Milestones:

Spirit: Probably, first traverse along one of terraces in order to visit Utreya *Abyyse* , zone with black or dark sand and later to Home Plate, in South of Hill Columbia.

Oppy, Visit the rim of Erebus until the Mogollon's rim at the souther most of Erebus very old and almost buried crater and then left here by going toward to next biggest crater and also deeper that Oppy has ever visited. It must probably around 2 km south and west of Erebus.

Only one, Oppy is approaching the limit of landing ellipse.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 22 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 150

I already posted image in another thread, but now I think this is the best place for Full-Res version.
This is my tribute to MER team, deepest gratitude to you!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 22 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #34

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 22 2005, 12:35 PM)
I already posted image in another thread, but now I think this is the best place for Full-Res version.
This is my tribute to MER team, deepest gratitude to you!

Nice one dilo, nice to have a picture of Spirit on her birthsol.

Your "mission primary target" line on the graph confused me at first, I was thinking "surely there was no target of ~70m/day" that was just me being tired and stupid! But it made me think that another way of marking that graph would be a differently shaded box between 0-90 sols and 0 - 600m showing just how far outside the original mission requirment envelope we now are. It seems a shame on a graph with clumulate distance traveled not to show that we're not far off 10 times the mission requirement!

Nice work, cheers,

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 22 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #35

Good point, james!
I updated the plot, up to now Spirit lasted 7.5 times the primary mission life and covered a distance 9 times longer ohmy.gif
I already highlighted in this short article.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 22 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #36

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 22 2005, 06:11 PM)
Good point, james!
I updated the plot, up to now Spirit lasted 7.5 times the primary mission life and covered a distance 9 times longer  ohmy.gif
I already highlighted in this short article.

Looks good Dilo, exactly what I had in mind - such a small box in the corner! cool.gif

May it get much smaller before were done. smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Nov 23 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 223

It's a little late, but here is my birthsol present for Spirit:

smile.gif

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Nov 27 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 471

QUOTE (Gonzz @ Nov 21 2005, 04:03 PM)
Hi SigurRosFan, slightly OT but yesterday we had here in Lisbon another great concert by Sigur Ros, man, it's the closest you can get to a beautiful alien landscape!

Was this your first time to see Sigur Ros in concert?

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Gonzz
post Nov 27 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 445

Yes, it was the third time they played here in Lisbon though. I had only heard about them by the time they came for the second one (about when they released the () album), but all tickets were sold out, friends of mine who did see it were absolutely amazed.
So I had my hopes up for this third time around and it was quite incredible. I love their music, and played live it seems to go even higher, wonderful concert.

And there's that slight alien soundscape, you're not totally earthbound when listening to them

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Nov 28 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 430

Spirit completes her first Martian trip around the sun

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Nov05/...an.year.lg.html

Nov. 23, 2005

By Lauren Gold
lg34@cornell.edu

The intrepid Mars rover Spirit was excused from attending the Nov. 18 party in her honor. She was busy climbing down from the summit of Columbia Hills and heading toward a new target called Home Plate, while wrapping up her first trip around the sun since landing on Mars in January 2004.

But she was present in -- well, spirit.

The Cornell contingent of NASA's Mars Exploration Rover mission saluted the rover with a gathering at the Space Sciences Building -- two days before the official moment (7:37 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20) occurred.

"To me this is one of the most significant milestones in this project," said Steve Squyres, the mission's principal investigator and Cornell's Goldwin Smith Professor of Astronomy. "We have gotten to experience Mars in all the seasons of the year. We've seen all of its moods."

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 28 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #41

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Planetary Radio, Monday, November 28, 2005:
A Martian Anniversary for Spirit and Opportunity!

We celebrate a Martian year of exploration by the Mars Exploration Rovers with Jim Bell, Cornell planetary scientist, member of the MER science team, and new Planetary Society board member.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 28 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 28 2005, 04:43 PM)
Planetary Radio, Monday, November 28, 2005:
A Martian Anniversary for Spirit and Opportunity!

We celebrate a Martian year of exploration by the Mars Exploration Rovers with Jim Bell, Cornell planetary scientist, member of the MER science team, and new Planetary Society board member.

Ask him whats going on with Opportunity tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Nov 29 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #43

Guests

Is there an article somewhere on the forum dedicated to discussing how long MER will last?

Who many cleaning events have there been? Is there a chart of solar cell output levels for either rover? Will solar cell output ever become a problem at this rate?

How long will the batteries last? How many cycles have they taken and when is the end of the warranty date for them?

What aliments does each rover have as of now?

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 29 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #44

Try to digit "batteries" in the Forum search engine.
I found, in particular, following threads that should contains answers to most your questions:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=19462
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=15561
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=23564

--------------------

+Quote Post
odave
post Nov 29 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (exobioquest @ Nov 29 2005, 02:23 PM)
What aliments does each rover have as of now?

I'd check out the interview Doug did with Steve Squyres back in September for some insights on this. Audio and transcript are available.

But it may be helpful to summarize the current ailments in one spot. The ones I know of off the top of my head are:

* Spirit: RAT teeth are shot.
* Spirit: One of the drive wheels was sticky, but has since fixed itself
* Oppy: Right-front steering actuator is stuck
* Oppy: A heater is stuck on
* Oppy: Mini TES is flaky - stopped working, then started working again
* Oppy: MI comm sometimes returns errors - EDD may have cable fraying
* Both: Mossbauer source is depleted to ~25% of landing, integrations take longer

And there's the current anomaly with Oppy's MI images, but that's not confirmed as an ailment.

Please correct/add to the above.

EDIT: Added Mossbauer source depletion

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.