Closed TopicStart new topic
Sol 3 and onwards - imaging
Zeehond
post May 29 2008, 04:21 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Reed @ May 29 2008, 06:18 AM) *
This was mentioned in one of the press conferences (yesterdays I think) and the answer was that it was possible but they would concentrate on primary mission objectives first.

And I agree with them, a lot of complicated things to do first!

BTW, the black and white panorama is done, I think.

full pano
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bgarlick
post May 29 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 1227

and the non-fisheye panaorama...

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_776.jpg

+Quote Post
Josh Cryer
post May 29 2008, 04:39 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 4149

Quite enjoying the rawness of these new images! Makes me feel like I'm in command with everyone else trying to figure everything out.

Anyway, pull out your 3D glasses and enjoy this stereo image I chopped together. Brought back many memories. http://i30.tinypic.com/102pb35.jpg

+Quote Post
Zeehond
post May 29 2008, 04:44 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Josh Cryer @ May 29 2008, 06:39 AM) *
Quite enjoying the rawness of these new images! Makes me feel like I'm in command with everyone else trying to figure everything out.

Anyway, pull out your 3D glasses and enjoy this stereo image I chopped together. Brought back many memories. http://i30.tinypic.com/102pb35.jpg

Any idea where I can find 3D glasses with the correct colours? I have red and blue glasses and blue and yellow/brown, but not red and green.

+Quote Post
tim53
post May 29 2008, 04:49 AM
Post #35

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1022

QUOTE (bgarlick @ May 28 2008, 08:29 PM) *

Sadly, as I suspected, Heimdal is obscured by a rise in the plains east of the lander. Unless the crater's hazed out by the distance, as Goldstone is in some VL-2 pans.

But the pedestal crater to the WNW is visible!

Me, I'm a horizon kind of guy.

-Tim.

+Quote Post
stevelu
post May 29 2008, 04:54 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 790

QUOTE (JRehling @ May 28 2008, 01:08 PM) *
the instruments on the mission are not even capable of detecting life when they do start operating.

I've been wondering about that.

Are they going to vaporize all the H2O they collect to analyze it for organic compounds?

If I ran the zoo, I would definitely take a bit of ice, at least once, gently warm it to 5 degrees C or so, and turn the microscope loose on the liquid results. Long shot? Sure, but worth trying. Does anyone know these sorts of details about the science plan? and about what exactly the microsope is intended to examine? Mineral/crystal/etc. structures and (conceivably) oven-safe fossils only?? sad.gif

+Quote Post
Pando
post May 29 2008, 04:55 AM
Post #37

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (imipak @ May 28 2008, 12:45 PM) *
heh,.. when I played the file, my audio player's default visualisation module kicked in and produced this (it didn't fit onto one screen's width so I've crudely pasted chunks from two screenshots together to get the whole thing.) As scientific as a newpaper horoscope, of course smile.gif but I notice the same harmonics (if that's what they are) show up in both visualisations though.

EDIT: Hmmm, Doug's shot shows a curve after the "bounce", whilst mine shows a straight line. Logarithmic vs. linear vertical scale perhaps? Any mathematicians in the house?

Ok, this is cool. I took the liberty of flipping the second half upside down to give a sense of continuity to the signal after it receded from the Mars Express. It's interesting to see the change in signal when Phoenix hit the atmosphere.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post May 29 2008, 05:24 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (stellarlight @ May 28 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Is that a "real sound" that we would listen if we were flying next to Phoenix?

No. It's just the Doppler shift in radio waves between Phoenix and Mars Express. It would have been clearer if they had said "sounds of Phoenix's radio transmission" rather than "sounds of Phoenix".

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 29 2008, 05:33 AM
Post #39

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Zeehond @ May 28 2008, 09:44 PM) *
Any idea where I can find 3D glasses with the correct colours? I have red and blue glasses and red and yellow/brown, but not red and green.

I got mine from work...

Not sure whether mine are red/blue or red/green, but these work just fine for that anaglyph:

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/IMG_0231.JPG

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Reed
post May 29 2008, 06:01 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 4114

These birds eye views really bring out the polygons:
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_816.jpg
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_815.jpg

ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Joffan
post May 29 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 498

QUOTE (tim53 @ May 28 2008, 09:49 PM) *
Sadly, as I suspected, Heimdal is obscured by a rise in the plains east of the lander. Unless the crater's hazed out by the distance, as Goldstone is in some VL-2 pans.

But the pedestal crater to the WNW is visible!

Me, I'm a horizon kind of guy.

-Tim.

Isn't that Heimdal at 130 degrees?

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post May 29 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 116

The polygons are gorgeous, and are probably the largest observable geological structures in this area.

QUOTE (Zeehond @ May 28 2008, 10:44 PM) *
Any idea where I can find 3D glasses with the correct colours?
I think that image is actually red/cyan. Your red/blue glasses should work reasonably well with those, as would red/green. I occasionally suffer from bouts of 3D blindness, but there seemed to be little 3D relief in that particular pair of images.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
helvick
post May 29 2008, 07:25 AM
Post #43

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Some more questions for Emily (or anyone who can answer them here).

Exactly how icy does this area get during the winter? Does the area actually see a physical accumulation of CO2 ice on the surface and if so how deep does it get?

How much Daily (Solly?) power were the solar panels expected to generate on Sol 0 and what is the expected amount of power they will generate at the end of the primary mission?

What are the most temperature sensitive vital components of the lander? Once the onset of autumn and winter begin to bite and temperatures drop which systems are believed to be the ones that will force the mission to end?

Are the resting locations of the heatshield and backshell\parachute debris closer to the lander than expected?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 29 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #44

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Nice new pics.

For those of you waiting for me to repost filename corrected and zipped versions. My renaming program choked this morning trying to get it done for you before work, I'll try and sort the problem this evening (UK time)

EDIT: Now updated - see my sig

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 29 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #45

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"Me, I'm a horizon kind of guy."

Yes, Tim, horizons are where it's at!

An exaggerated relief view of this horizon would be interesting - I'm travelling, or I'd do it.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.