2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Space Data Wiki
volcanopele
post Jan 15 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #16

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

An interesting project, but I am still trying to get my head around what you are trying to do here. Is this akin to a Google Earth, but for other worlds, where users can upload pictures and comments tied to a location on the surface of a world (like the layers in Google Earth with Wikipedia links, user photos, and Nat Geo pics)? Will this be limited to Mars, or is that only in your current working version?

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MouseOnMars
post Jan 16 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 2288

Hello volcanopele smile.gif.

It sounds like you've already understood the project.

Yes, it will be like Google Earth for other planets (not just Mars). People will be able to add a comment about a particular location. The action of adding a comment will start a new wiki page where text and other media can be added. Contributions can be shared on the social networking sites.

You can't actually directly add a comment in Google Earth that is publicly shared. This is why I have a plugin in development for NASA Worldwind where the user clicks on a location directly on the globe to add a comment. The project will have a core database and Web Map Server that can talk to Google Earth, Worldwind and Open Layers (google maps like, open source app), so as many people as possible can participate. For example they won't HAVE to use Worldwind if they have limited hardware.

My first intention was to concentrate on public participation, but as the study I posted shows, there are some powerful leveraging possibilities with "in house" use of social networking systems.

I hope that makes more sense.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.