IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30th Anniversary Voyager 2 at Europa, a hint of things to come
DrShank
post Apr 9 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1828

It seems to be a season of anniversaries over the next year or so.
20 years since Voyager 2 at Neptune (see my posting there), 30 yrs since Voyager 1 at Io,
30 since Voyager 2 at Europa, 30 years since VEJUR at . . . . well never mind!
plus all the Galileo 400th commemorations (I will have more on that next week).

I thought it would be a good time to start a thread on this one, which occurred on a
tuesday morning in July 1979. Although the images had been taken on July 9, they were
recorded for playback the next day. I was a mere summer intern in those days and was attending
the morning briefing along with the rest of the Sci Support Team of which i was a member.
Linda Horn and Ellis Miner were my gurus that wonderful summer. Playback was scheduled for
sometime between 8 and 9, as i recall, and I can still remember looking up at the monitor
as the first high resolution images ever seen of Europa first appeared. Wonderful, even
tho only 2 kilometers in resolution. Little did I know where it would lead me . . .

Here is a restored version of one of the two mosaics returned that day. They hint at some of
the exotic things that Galileo later discovered.

cheers
paul
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 21 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #2

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Yes, the same dataset with one exception: I didn't use any of the wide angle images for color, I only used narrow angle data. The drawback of this is the absence of green filter data but as mentioned above I don't think that's a big issue. But it's not always easy to know exactly how accurate the resulting color is.

One 'crazy' color processing idea I have is to somehow use Europa's entire visible spectrum together with the color information from spacecraft images to compute an entire synthetic, visible spectrum for each point in an image and use this to make synthetic R/G/B. I'm not sure exactly how I would do this but this would replace the linear interpolation that is usually used, both when mixing the color channels as I did above and also when the entire visible spectrum is created from (usually) three filters and then converted to sRGB. I doubt this will work very well though but I'm interested in trying it. One obvious complication is that the leading and trailing hemispheres have slightly different spectra and obviously the spectrum of a dark feature is different from the bright terrain. And there is no spectral information available in visible light that resolves these small (relative to Europa itself) features and also has high spectral resolution.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 25 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

Bjorn, I share your crazy dream. I think Europa's entire surface can be represented fairly well as a pointwise blend of three or four surface components. Then the subtasks would be:

1) Determine the Hapke parameters of each of those components, based on areas where the surface is a relatively pure representative of that component.
2) Determine for as much of the surface as possible, what the local coefficients are that weight how much the various components contribute.

Once this process came along, it would probably be possible to make some pretty good estimates of (2) based even on single-filter images.

And then one could render realistic color images of much of the surface of Europa even where no such images have been captured.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- DrShank   30th Anniversary Voyager 2 at Europa   Apr 9 2009, 01:31 PM
- - elakdawalla   Those images never get old. I can't imagine w...   Apr 9 2009, 03:16 PM
|- - tedstryk   Beautiful! What did you use for color?   Apr 9 2009, 03:41 PM
|- - DrShank   QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 9 2009, 10:41 AM) B...   Apr 9 2009, 08:49 PM
- - cbcnasa   Thank you that is a fantastic image I forgot some ...   Apr 10 2009, 04:13 PM
|- - DrShank   QUOTE (cbcnasa @ Apr 10 2009, 11:13 AM) T...   Apr 10 2009, 05:16 PM
- - PhilCo126   Indeed the scientific community had to wait for th...   Apr 11 2009, 02:42 PM
|- - tedstryk   Actually, that would be Galileo. Not sure what on...   Apr 11 2009, 04:42 PM
|- - DrShank   QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 11 2009, 11:42 AM) ...   Apr 11 2009, 04:54 PM
- - PhilCo126   Ted, wasn't it about the "Millennium Flyb...   Apr 11 2009, 05:07 PM
|- - DrShank   QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Apr 11 2009, 12:07 PM)...   Apr 12 2009, 04:27 AM
- - PhilCo126   Indeed, the only Galilean moon maps I've found...   Apr 12 2009, 08:28 AM
- - DrShank   happy 30th Europa!!! july 1979 we got ...   Jul 9 2009, 02:32 PM
- - nprev   Well, I'm officially an Old Dude...brings back...   Jul 10 2009, 12:17 AM
|- - DrShank   QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 9 2009, 07:17 PM) Well...   Jul 10 2009, 12:45 AM
- - volcanopele   Coolness! I uploaded a new post to my Io blog...   Jul 10 2009, 02:35 AM
- - machi   Second mosaic taken by Voyager 2. Its in lower res...   Nov 10 2009, 12:17 PM
|- - tedstryk   I posted a blog entry with my version of this mosa...   Mar 12 2010, 02:10 PM
- - Bjorn Jonsson   Available color data for Europa is so severely lim...   May 20 2013, 11:17 PM
|- - tedstryk   Beautiful work! This is the same dataset as I ...   May 21 2013, 02:29 AM
- - Bjorn Jonsson   Yes, the same dataset with one exception: I didn...   May 21 2013, 11:35 PM
|- - tedstryk   I focused mostly on stacking images to get the bes...   May 22 2013, 01:08 AM
|- - JRehling   Bjorn, I share your crazy dream. I think Europa...   May 25 2013, 08:12 PM
- - machi   Excellent images!   May 24 2013, 12:18 PM
- - owlsyme   Here's a gif of Voyager 2's flyby of Europ...   May 30 2022, 06:48 PM
- - Phil Stooke   I tried to explain to students how amazing Voyager...   May 30 2022, 08:58 PM
- - owlsyme   I grew up with the Voyager images coming back, see...   May 31 2022, 01:08 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.