Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 5 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #17

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

What a nice surprise, and a perfectly fitting tribute...very well done, Doug! smile.gif

PB: Way to choose a birthday, you sly dog! laugh.gif Hope we're on Mars when you hit the big five-oh...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 5 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 198

OK, I guess it's up to me to play dissenter then.

While I like the new logo--and a well done is definitely in order there--I much prefer the previous colour scheme. It was much easier on the eye and (just MHO) distinctive. Also as someone else pointed it looks like the forum is in mourning.

Space may well be black (although the forum's new colour scheme looks more a kind of greenish-black than the jet black variety; but maybe that's just my own eyes), but I'm not sure that black is an appropriate colour for a forum with a subjet-matter like this one when the era we live in is one where money for unmanned spaceflight is so hard to come by and missions are either suffering cutbacks (eg MSL) or are not happening at all (eg the NASA's promised follow-up missions to next year's lunar orbiter, not to mention the perennial bridesmaid which keeps being left behind at the altar: the Europan orbiter). And all the more so if you tie that colour to Sputnik. It could be construed to imply that the Sputnik era was the dead pinnacle of unmanned space exploration we're all in mourning for rather than just the beginning of a bright new era in human accomplishment. That is, as if we're looking back toward a dead utopia rather than looking forward (and with hope) towards the future.

Just my two cents.

=====
Stephen

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 5 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 116

Ok, here is my space age rant, FWIW. This is without a doubt one of the most important space anniversaries we have had to celebrate in recent times. It truly is worthy of reflection now that it is 50 years later. As a civilisation, we probably could have advanced further into space exploration and space mobility than we have over the past half century, but the Sputnik program was beyond any doubt, the beginning marker of the space age and the subsequent space race. It essentially sparked the creation of NASA, and ultimately all the other national space agencies. It is a bit early to comment on the private space enterprises, but we've certainly come quite a long way since the early days.

One can argue that we should be further along with the agenda by now, but as we look at the great variety of exploratory missions that our species has recently launched, and are currently controlling, I look back at the collective enterprise as quite an outstanding accomplishment for our planet's diverse nations. I think we can all feel proud, and thank the Sputnik creators for kick-starting the whole thing.

As I think back on my personal experiences from 50 years ago, they very much parallel those described by PDP8E. I was 7 years old that day, and I remember my Dad taking me outside at night to see if we might see the satellite pass overhead. We didn't see it, but we did watch the evening or nighttime news, where we heard television broadcasts of the audible signal from the satellite. It was a special day for me, and one that turned me into a space exploration enthusiast 50 years ago. wink.gif On a later date, we did go out to see the Echo satellite pass overhead, which also turned me into a satellite hunter. My dad gave me a 1x1 inch sample of the metallicized Mylar material used in the "beach ball" before we went out and saw that artificial satellite pass overhead. That pretty much cemented my interest in space.

As an international community, we all need to find ways to instill the wonders of space into the minds of our children.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #20

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 02:43 AM) *
Just my two cents.

My 2 pence in reply - you're SERIOUSLY over analyising it by about 20 orders of magnitude.

The criteria are quite simple.
1) Is derived from the default
2) Doesn't look like complete crap. (A bit like crap is fine)

Here is the exact thought process that went on to come to the new logo
  • Right..that's the upgrade for Invision 2.3 done. Oh - a new default forum skin.
  • That's nice - a bit more 'sensible' that the light blue colours. I'll have to do what I did last time and make a UMSF banner derived from the Invision banner.
  • Oh - October 4th isn't far away - I'll save it till then and put Sputnik in instead of the logo for a while.
  • Oh crap - it's the 4th already....and I'm on a train...let's have a think about this Sputniks round.....0 is round..... 5=0 That'll work.
  • Lunch time at work .... 'Josh - what do you think of this?' 'Nice!' 'I thought so as well - now what the hell is CSS again?'
Finished. If you're trying to invoke some sort of deep rooted subversive commentary on the status of exploration of space...you SERIOUSLY need to lighten up. I am not, for instance, about to look at the extension lead I'm using and go :

'hmm - a red led on it - suggestive of 'stop' and 'evil' - infering the suggestion that using too much electricity is a bad thing that contributes detrimentally to the state of our climate and counters my responsibility as a member of the global commuinty to be as low impact as I can and furthermore, by buying the cheapest extension lead I could find, I am funding the evil capitalist exploitation of low wage far eastern factory workers that once more, is damning of my efforts to be a globally social and environmentally responsible human...'

...no - it's just an LED - like that's just a logo, made in the laziest way possible.

The basic premise of always having the default skin with a tweaked banner is that as I'm not a code monkey ( as I've said about 1.6x10^58 times before) - I do know how to add skins to the forum, but I occasionally need the Invision tech support guys help . So I want to keep the forum as 'default' as possible to make the ammount of effort involved in maintaining it as minimal as possible.

If someone asked me what I thought the logo looked like I'd go 'Quite nice, simple, clean, a bit corporate perhaps, but nothing wrong with a bit of professionalism'

The theme's staying. If you want to use the old one - the option is there at the bottom left of every single page for you to select which one you want to use - but the old theme is designed around Invision 2.1 - and we're on Invision 2.3 - so compatability issues may exist.

If someone want's to make an Invision 2.3 theme all of their own - I'll happily install it - but the default theme will always be the default as installed with Invision...simply because, as a great guy once said - better is the enemy of good enough.

Doug

+Quote Post
mchan
post Oct 5 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 476

I like it. It's minimalist, but I like minimalist in this case.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 5 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 198

For those who feel inclined it is possible to compare the new look with the old look using Google's cached pages.

For example, here's the front page in the old look..

A few notes:

1) The lineup of the planets in the new logo is rather harder to make out than in the old one. To make the lineup standout better I would suggest either lightening the shade of black used in it or brightening the outlines of the planets. Or if the lineup no longer matters any more (and maybe it doesn't; Sputnik did, of course, only go round and round, as opposed to go outward bound) then alternately drop the lineup altogether.

2) I notice there are still nine planets in the logo's lineup. Was that a subtle message of defiance to the IAU? smile.gif Or merely an artifact of the speed with which the new llogo was designed? :-(

3) The icons marking the subforums look slightly larger than the old ones, but I presume that is just an optical illusion.

4) Quotation mark icons have replaced the "IPB" icons. I take it this to be just a feature of the new Invision version. That said, if you look closely at the old version the non-IPB icons (those with backward "L"--or whatever that corner icon thingie is) in fact have an "IPB" inside of them. The new ones have a slightly larger backward "L" but no "IPB" or quote mark.

5) Looks like the text font used has been altered also. If you compare "Front Page Stories" in the two versions, for example, you will notice that the letters are slightly more widely spaced in the old version than in the new, which have a slightly more "squashed" look, which is more obviously a variable size font than the old one. If the font used for the message text has also changed then that potentially can play havoc with certain things like user sigs. (Like, well, um, mine for example.)

6) The "5" in the logo looks noticably larger than the (filled in) "O". But I presume this is just an optical illusion too.

But of course I guess I'm just "over analyzing" again. Best of luck with the new schema.

=====
Stephen

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 5 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 12:37 PM) *
For those who feel inclined it is possible to compare the new look with the old look using Google's cached pages.

For example, here's the front page in the old look..

Both versions look identical to me -- it is best to grab screenshots for comparative studies. If you don't like the color scheme, just override it within your browser. Here is how I see the forum:

Attached Image

In fact, that's the way I've always viewed the forum (and every other website, for that matter). I personally could not give a rat's about the way websites look; I'm only interested in the content. smile.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #24

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 12:37 PM) *
But of course I guess I'm just "over analyzing" again.

ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 5 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 5 2007, 06:35 AM) *
One can argue that we should be further along with the agenda by now, but as we look at the great variety of exploratory missions that our species has recently launched, and are currently controlling, I look back at the collective enterprise as quite an outstanding accomplishment for our planet's diverse nations. I think we can all feel proud, and thank the Sputnik creators for kick-starting the whole thing.

Amen to that!

As I think back on my personal experiences from 50 years ago, they very much parallel those described by PDP8E. I was 7 years old that day, and I remember my Dad taking me outside at night to see if we might see the satellite pass overhead.

In celebration, I watched the movie October Sky last night, one of my all-time favorites -- very evocative. As you were there, would you say it captured the feelings of the era accurately?

As an international community, we all need to find ways to instill the wonders of space into the minds of our children.

Indeed we do! Being envious about their future is silly and unproductive. smile.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Oct 5 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 07:37 AM) *
1) The lineup of the planets in the new logo is rather harder to make out than in the old one. To make the lineup standout better I would suggest either lightening the shade of black used in it or brightening the outlines of the planets.

I second the request for increasing the contrast between the outlines of the planets and the background.

In fact I was about to post a reply saying that I don't see any planets at all, but by carefully adjusting the angle of the screen and twisting my head back and forth, I can just barely tell that they're there. The planets still don't register unless I consciously look for them.

The 50/sputnik logo is wonderful; good work.

TTT

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 5 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 132

I am amazed by this whole discussion. I come to this site for the CONTENT not the garnish.
I don't know what skin I was using before -- for me the main change has been from a light
blue scheme to a gray. I find both simple, pleasant, and NON-DISTRACTING from the content.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 5 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Oct 5 2007, 08:20 AM) *
I second the request for increasing the contrast between the outlines of the planets and the background.

OK, I do have to agree with this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 5 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Oct 5 2007, 01:20 PM) *
In fact I was about to post a reply saying that I don't see any planets at all, but by carefully adjusting the angle of the screen and twisting my head back and forth, I can just barely tell that they're there. The planets still don't register unless I consciously look for them.

I think you guys either need to calibrate your displays (LCD?) or buy better ones. wink.gif
I'm using a low-end shadow-mask CRT that cost all of £20 new, yet the planet outlines are very obvious. Very nice job on the logo.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 5 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #30

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Oct 5 2007, 04:17 PM) *
I am amazed by this whole discussion.

My thought too...although I would like to see fresh flowers everyday on the top right corner... tongue.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.