Reply to this topicStart new topic
The West Valley Route
jamescanvin
post Mar 23 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #31

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 23 2009, 01:46 PM) *
Indeed a beauty James! Have a doubt here, visiting your site, you make reference to Thera crater...I must be missing something here but aren't we looking in the opposite direction of it? unsure.gif

Yes your right - I was confused and in a hurry. Need more sleep...

Thanks for the complement and correction.

James

EDIT: Am I right in thinking that it is in fact, Grissom Hill?

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Mar 23 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #32

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

Yes, you're right, that's Grissom and I must have entered in another dimension...one where ustrax corrects James... tongue.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
dburt
post Mar 23 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 22 2009, 10:25 AM) *
Whoah... that's one seriously interesting rock Spirit was just looking at...

Agreed. From that single image, it appears to have rock inclusions as well as numerous holes (vesicles) in it. I wonder if it might represent an ejected chunk of highly vesicular impact melt, rather than of lava. Hard to say...

-- HDP Don

+Quote Post
climber
post Mar 23 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 682

If I read Eduardo's route map correctly we're about 5 meters north from Sol 767 drive trajectory.
I cannot see any weels marks wheel.gif blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Mar 23 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3988

QUOTE (climber @ Mar 23 2009, 02:19 PM) *
If I read Eduardo's route map correctly we're about 5 meters north from Sol 767 drive trajectory.
I cannot see any weels marks wheel.gif blink.gif

It looks like Mars does not like her surface disturbed, WARNING: SHE WILL ERASE!!! dd.gif laugh.gif .

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 24 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (dburt @ Mar 23 2009, 04:01 PM) *
Agreed. From that single image, it appears to have rock inclusions as well as numerous holes (vesicles) in it. I wonder if it might represent an ejected chunk of highly vesicular impact melt, rather than of lava. Hard to say...

Especially since it has rather obvious layering, which happens to lie parallel to the ground right now. Likely a serendipitous attitude.

The holes could be vesicles, or they could be remnants of inclusions that have either fallen out of the matrix or eroded out of it. The matrix is so highly eroded, especially in planes around its structural layering, that it's not easy to tell.

Looking at the rock in the anaglyph, I dearly want to turn it on its side and look into the crevices, to see the actual thickness of the layering and to try and see if there is any constructional relationship (i.e., alternating hard and soft layers) that would account for the rather obvious layer peel-aways.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 24 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Mar 23 2009, 05:24 PM) *
It looks like Mars does not like her surface disturbed, WARNING: SHE WILL ERASE!!! dd.gif laugh.gif .

laugh.gif

I have to say, I'm surprised that any of the tracks from either MER are still obvious, after that global dust storm they endured. I think it says a lot about the deposition mechanisms that some tracks have been erased, some partially erased, and some hardly erased at all. And that while some seem to have been swept clean, others are fully or partially buried.

There are obviously dust traps and dust scourers set up in the ground-level microclimate by the landforms and such; I wish we understood them well enough to be able to maneuver poor Spirit into a scouring location, ASAP!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 24 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 253

Its not the first time we address this topic about the lost tracks. While making my latest mosaic on this thread I was looking for that same old path too without luck.
Right about the NW corner we should (well... I hope) see some older wheel marks from when she was investigating HP for the very first time.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 24 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #39

We are approaching the NW corner! Have a look to the latest mosaic made with today's navcam pictures (sol 1856).
Attached Image

BTW, a quick check to the rover's data tells us Spirit moved 21m! What a difference, if we compare with the (frustrating) attempts by the NE.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Mar 24 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 16

Nice. smile.gif

I think I'm right in thinking that the two large dark rocks on the 'corner' of HP from this viewpoint are those at 'Gibson' where Spirit first arrived on sol 746/8.

EDIT: here is an old mosaic of mine from back then, showing the rocks I'm talking about.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Mar 24 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #41

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 24 2009, 10:07 AM) *
BTW, a quick check to the rover's data tells us Spirit moved 21m! What a difference, if we compare with the (frustrating) attempts by the NE.

13+21 not bad for a "crippled" rover...
That's our girl! smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Mar 24 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #42

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Can we have a route map update ?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 24 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #43

Take it easy! It's lunch time here in Spain. smile.gif

Done.

QUOTE (MahFL @ Mar 23 2009, 03:24 PM) *
20 more drives like that and she'll be there......no problems.

Not so fast. This is the easy part mainly because we're driving downslope. If you have a look to the further route to Von Braun with Google Mars, the terrain becomes more complicated. It would be great to see these 10+ or 20+ in the future but I'm not so confident.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Mar 24 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #44

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 24 2009, 03:07 AM) *

Actually the data I have tells me 25.8m. A new record for driving with 5 wheels.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
JayB
post Mar 24 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4611

With these great long drags, is there any concern that we'll start wearing through the stuck wheel? I assume the aluminum is anodized and that would certainly help with abrasion resistance, but only to a point.

Probably not in the short term so I guess that's probably something to worry about for next year when we head for the rim of Gusev smile.gif

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.