66 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mission: Hayabusa 2
pandaneko
post Apr 24 2018, 01:08 AM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 5323

I know that there has been a kids contest about Ryugu's shape, but I am not too concerend about its shape.
Rather, I am becoming unsure of the success of the copper plate experiment. Below is the firiing video.

https://youtu.be/gmh2lGjXm7w

If Ryugu is very hard, then this copper firing may not result in a big dip on the surface?

Somewhere, and I do not remember exactly where off hand, but somewhere within Hayabusa 2 web page,
there is a huge data set of numbers, all hayabusa 2's position, all free to be used for educational
purposes. Prof Yoshikawa there talks about possibe use of this data set, like, calculating the actual
discrepancy, from two body calculation for students.

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 24 2018, 05:17 AM
Post #197

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

If you take that copper plate impact - and apply it to a rubble like surface, in basically zero-G - it'll do plenty of damage !

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 24 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #198

Also, if I come to think about it, the mass of whatever contains the gun powder. Hayabusa 2 is something like
600 kg, I think, but Hayabusa 2 will hide away behind the asteroid when the firing takes place. Perhaps,
copper place is very thin?

P

+Quote Post
Caotico09
post Apr 24 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #199

Member No.: 7487

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Apr 24 2018, 01:04 AM) *
Also, if I come to think about it, the mass of whatever contains the gun powder. Hayabusa 2 is something like
600 kg, I think, but Hayabusa 2 will hide away behind the asteroid when the firing takes place. Perhaps,
copper place is very thin?

P

This link provides a bit more information: http://www.muses-c.isas.ac.jp/kawalab/astro/pdf/2011C_8.pdf
Basically, the easiest way to think about it.
- Hayabusa 2 will orient in respect to the asteroid.
- The impactor (SCI) will deploy from the spacecraft.
- Hayabusa 2 will burn around the asteroid.
- The SCI will detonate.
- The resulting jet/projectile formed from the SCI will hit the asteroid, while the charge case/control system will fragment into space.

I dont have a space background, but i do have Shaped-Charge knowledge to comment somewhat. IMO the charge is large enough to do damage. In oilfield applications, a 0.025kg charge can punch a hole through ~13-45" of concrete or 4-9" of steel depending on type of charge and materials of liner. For reference, the SCI used on Hayabusa 2 is a 10lb (4.5kg) explosive with a 5.5lb (2.5kg) liner.

The use of copper (vs a denser material), as well as the demonstration video would point towards using an EFP. Think of it as shooting a 5lb bullet/missile at the asteroid at 2000m/s. It is going to do something.

The documentation/papers keep saying shaped charge (SC), an interesting question that i have is if they are actually using an EFP (explosively formed projectile). Larger applications (mainly military) work more like EFPs. In vary broad terms, the biggest difference is the angle of the liner (SC < 90, EFP > 90). The two function fundamentally differently however. The SC creates a high velocity 'jet' that stretches and can create a smaller diameter hole in a steel plate 150%-700% ID of charge (with the upper range being denser materials like high-%-tungsten). EFP's on the other hand basically reshape the metal liner to form a large fast moving bullet/warhead- these are MUCH slower, but make a less deep but broader impact.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 25 2018, 12:47 AM
Post #200

Thank you, caotico09, for the document and your comments particularly towards the last.
My take now then is that the copper plate momentum, much of it, will come largely from its velocity
and I am happierr with that thought. 15kg must be a lot heavier than the plate.

By the way, I saw somewhere, a high speed camera photo of the shape of the copper plate in flight.
It looked very much like a cylindrical Chinese dumpling.

P

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 25 2018, 02:15 AM
Post #201

Member No.: 5221

The crater diameter should be determined much more easily than Deep Impact (any prize for most accurate guess?)

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 25 2018, 02:50 AM
Post #202

What followd is the test firiing range movie.

https://youtu.be/lWnl_G3_N1Y

P

+Quote Post
monty python
post Apr 25 2018, 04:10 AM
Post #203

Member No.: 692

The hole created could be fairly deep too!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 25 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #204

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wow! That is a LOT more powerful than I'd expected! ohmy.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 28 2018, 03:16 AM
Post #205

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

174000 km today! We are still sneaking up on Ryugu. I don't know when the first resolved image will be taken, but probably in the next couple of weeks or so.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 29 2018, 01:55 AM
Post #206

Tokyo to London is 12 hours, so Hayabusa 2 is half the speed of an international flight, landing gear is not out yet, it is slow, very...

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 30 2018, 06:08 AM
Post #207

I have noticed something else on the main page of Hayabusa 2.

Marked with an yellow square is , apparently, the delay time in outbound/inbound
flight. As of today, it is 1941 seconds. What does it mean?

P
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
charborob
post Apr 30 2018, 10:39 AM
Post #208

Member No.: 3908

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Apr 30 2018, 02:08 AM) *
I have noticed something else on the main page of Hayabusa 2.

Marked with an yellow square is , apparently, the delay time in outbound/inbound
flight. As of today, it is 1941 seconds. What does it mean?

P

It means the time it takes for electromagnetic waves to make the round trip from Earth to Hayabusa 2 and back.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 9 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #209

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Schedule of mission events at the asteroid:

http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/topics/mission_schedule_e/

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 10 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #210

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 10 2018, 03:40 AM) *
Schedule of mission events at the asteroid:

Cool list of activities, sounds like a lot of interesting events... Wishing them the best of luck smile.gif

+Quote Post

66 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.