3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rocks And Radent Light, beautiful stratified rocks at Erebus
CosmicRocker
post Jan 4 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

There's little doubt in my mind that that is the image Steve Squyres was talking about. I was just about to post it in the Erebus topic, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone had beaten me to it.

When that image first showed up the other day my jaw dropped. It's spectacular.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 4 2006, 04:10 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 105

I've been following the series of low-incidence lighting images for a couple of weeks. This technique can bring out fine textural detail on the surface.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anoolios
post Jan 5 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 635

There is festoon bedding all over the place in that image, and I agree that its absolutely spectacular. It looks remarkably like patterns that can be obtained in a "wet sandbox" setup with a pump for water and wet sand.

I cannot imagine an explaination for these features other than flowing water.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 6 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #19

For general information, here is an overview of sedimantary structures/bedding:

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PETROLGY/Leaverite-SedFeat.HTM

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 7 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #20

I think that really was the nicest collection of sedimentary structure images I have come across on the web. Thanks for that. Those who might want to learn a bit about geology might want to review that page.

I thought it was funny that this section of his web site was devoted to leaverites wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 7 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #21

Then, there is this confirmation of the sighting.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20060106a.html

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 7 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #22

I got a chuckle out of 'leaverites' once I remembered what they were; it's been decades since I've heard that term. laugh.gif

Hopefully we'll get some use out of those fine sed structure reference images here and AT THE MOGOLLON RIM (hint,hint) _and_ over at the Inner Basin (which is really starting to get interesting).

Another thing I noticed in that confirmation mosaic at the JPL site: just below center there appears to be a small post-depositional slump in the sediments. Or so I think; it looks a _lot_ like something I've seen locally.

A crop and close-up from the JPL image is attached.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
sranderson
post Jan 13 2006, 06:04 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 386

I am somewhat concerned that what is being called festoon crossbedding is merely differential erosion of flat layers that have no festoon "smiles" intrinsically.

The image evidence presented so far at Erebus is of rocks with an erosional exposed surface that is nearly coincident with the plane of the layers themselves. This makes it hard to tell whether or not the layers have real peaks and valleys or if they are more eroded in a pattern that makes it look like it has peaks and valleys.

I have seen numerous RAT grinds with the rotating axis perpendicular to the layer plane, but few if any that are parallel to the layers (to grind against the edge of the layers). If we could find a festoon-candidate outcrop with a good straight up-and-down side exposed, then we could put the RAT directly against the edges of the layers and grind off any erosional effects.

Then we could definitively say whether or not there are festoons -- unless the layers are so homogeneous that the grinding operation erases the character of the layers themselves.

Scott

+Quote Post
alan
post Jan 13 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 110

Closer look next week
The real news, though, is that it looks like we're finally about ready to move the rover again. I can't give you a definite date, but I'd say that sometime next week is very likely. Our first move, of course, is going to be to get into position to get some nice MI mosaics on the festoons. The rock we're going after first is one called Overgaard.
http://athena1.cornell.edu/news/mubss/

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 13 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #25

I am somewhat concerned that what is being called....

Me too. Looking _at_ an eroded bedding surface is somewhat iffy. What I was hoping was that Oppy would look at some of the vertical joint planes exposed at this current outcrop. Or/and/also at the Mogollon Rim area 80 meters away.

<chant>
Move Move Move
</chant>

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jan 13 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 453

I'm glad it is not just me then - I've wondered that right from the first such sightings in Eagle Crater. I've been tempted to make a model using layers of cardboard to see if I could simulate features that look like festooning, but have not had the time so far...

Airbag

+Quote Post
sranderson
post Jan 15 2006, 07:19 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 386

QUOTE (Airbag @ Jan 13 2006, 11:52 AM)
I'm glad it is not just me then - I've wondered that right from the first such sightings in Eagle Crater.  I've been tempted to make a model using layers of cardboard to see if I could simulate features that look like festooning, but have not had the time so far...

Airbag

Here are two photos of a layered rock I have. The first one is looking directly at a surface that is fairly parallel to the layers. I can make myself believe I see ripples here.
Attached Image

The second one is from the side -- and it shows that all the layers are flat and parallel to each other with no ripples.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Jan 15 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 217

I can see that laminations can weather to look like cross bedding etc. but I find it hard to believe the the team at JPL would not take into account the strike and dip of the bedding plains before anouncing festoon bedding, but maybe I expect too much of the guys working by remote control in a very difficult invironment.

Reckless

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 15 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #29

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

A key question is whether you can see one set of layers terminating against another layer. You will not see that kind of geometry no matter how you slice a parallel-layered rock. Look at those pictures and see if you can see "T" shapes where one layer dead ends into another, and you know that something came along and cut one set of layers before depositing another, which happens all the time in these shallow-water ripple deposition environments.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Jan 15 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 217

I Think I see "T"s smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 12:43 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.