Reply to this topicStart new topic
MEX VMC - Back on, and online!
ugordan
post Feb 13 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (ormstont @ Feb 13 2010, 07:26 PM) *
I needed to track down the problem of the pixel shift which hit some images (now fixed!)

Does that mean I don't have to update the software to figure that out and correct it automatically?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ormstont
post Feb 13 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #227

Member No.: 4320

Sure thing...sorry ugordan, that was my mistake...I'm the one who needed to correct it wink.gif There shouldn't be any more images with the pixel shift - although it'll take a while before we can update the archive with the new raws I'm afraid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 13 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #228

QUOTE (ormstont @ Feb 13 2010, 11:44 PM) *
I'm the one who needed to correct it

Hey, these things happen. I messed up a fair share of Cassini images myself with subtle bugs in my software wink.gif

it'll take a while before we can update the archive with the new raws I'm afraid.

Normally, I'd say don't bother as it would be faster to implement a software fix instead, but I'm a bit uneasy about the method I had in mind. I.e. if it could produce some other unwanted side-effects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ormstont
post Feb 14 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #229

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 13 2010, 11:54 PM) *
Normally, I'd say don't bother as it would be faster to implement a software fix instead, but I'm a bit uneasy about the method I had in mind. I.e. if it could produce some other unwanted side-effects.

Yeah, I think it's best to do the whole archive systematically because it corrects a "wiggle" in the images that you can actually see stepping through old image sets that have the bug - the planet jumps sideways from one image to the next due to the pixel shift. On top of that I'd also like to get the whole library redone with the new processing methods, I'll work out an automated update method and then set it running on the archive. Thanks as always for the help though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 24 2010, 02:57 AM
Post #230

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

More limb shots with clouds in cross section!

http://webservices.esa.int/blog/resource/6/12034

EDIT: Tried a quickie technique of taking the one image (No. 7), flipping it, then subtracting it out to cancel the bright limb, then adding in slightly the original image. Clouds enhanced, but ignore all surface features, they are artifacts of the subtraction process.

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
ormstont
post Jun 2 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #231

Hi all!

Things have been a little quiet on VMC of late (but I see you were all enjoying our Phobos campaign not so long ago!) but we've been preparing something a little special and it's my pleasure to announce that it's now live on the VMC blog.

On Mars Express orbit 8194, 27th May 2010, we commanded the spacecraft to capture VMC images at the maximum rate for an entire 7 hour elliptical orbit of Mars Express. The images were captured at two exposure settings, alternating between brighter and darker, producing a total of 300 images at each exposure setting.

We've managed to upload all this and generate some rough movies from the sequence in time for the 7th anniversary of the Mars Express launch today. As always with VMC the full raw dataset has also been posted on the website so go ahead and download it! For those who don't know, the blog can be found here: http://webservices.esa.int/blog/blog/6.

At the top of the blog you can see one of our first videos of the sequence and then the two part post below ("New Images From 27 May 2010 Added") shows the full image sequence and gives you the link to download the raw data.

There are loads more details on the website so do take a look, but we've always been so impressed with the quality of the work by UMSF that we thought we would give you a special heads-up. Enjoy looking through the images and as always send us your interpretations of the data at the usual address (look at the "Help us with VMC" section of the VMC website for more details). Whether these are arty, technical, scientific or educational...still photo or video...send them over and we'll publish the best.

Above all enjoy this exciting new Mars Express observation!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 2 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #232

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Oh wow. That's nice. Please pass along thanks to your team for those.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 2 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #233

All I'm going to say is: WOW! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 2 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #234

Member No.: 542

That's great! And you even caught Phobos zipping by at the end. I tried clicking to enlarge a few of the later image thumbnails but that didn't work. (Maybe it's not supposed to?? - I don't really want to download all 40 Mb though.)

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 2 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #235

There's a superfluous quotation mark at the end of the thumbnail links, you can manually delete it until they fix it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ormstont
post Jun 2 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #236

Fixed! Thanks for the quick catch on that one!

As you can imagine this is quite a lot larger (~10 times) than any other set we've posted to the blog before so it required a bit of manual wrangling with the posts to get it to all display wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 2 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 4270

My attempt at overdramatisation in putting the video on YouTube (not to worry, everyone got credited appropriately).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvvVj50FeM...player_embedded

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 2 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #238

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

That's just...just... ohmy.gif blink.gif

LOVE it. Thanks!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jun 3 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #239

Member No.: 1345

Wow! Beautifully done, everyone!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 5 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #240

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Very chuffed by this...

http://webservices.esa.int/blog/post/6/1189

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.