7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
800Whrs+ Staying Up Late ideas
Fran Ontanaya
post Jun 6 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 4350

Is there any chance of detecting triboluminescence (see Nature video) under the wheels if she attempts to move at night?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jun 7 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 63

Would it be technically possible to track the Martian sky with the motors in the mast? This would allow long exposures of star fields :-)

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jun 7 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 162

The triboluminesence idea got me thinking, with the low humidity, does the wind, when it moves the dust around, create static charges ?? And if there is a wind gust in the night would it release enough visible light in the dust to show in a long exposure ?? {I assume we know for sure there are no dust devils at night, but how about wind gusts ?}

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Jun 7 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4350

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/14jul_dustdevils.htm

What intrigues Farrell from having chased dust devils in the Arizona desert, however, is the strange fact that terrestrial dust devils are electrically charged--and Martian dust devils might be, too.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 8 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #20

Guests

How fast can they take consecutive images? Would be nice to have a max. speed sequence, an *almost* movie, hopefully with a dust devil in it...

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jun 8 2009, 05:54 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 6 2009, 12:03 PM) *
... In terms of UV aurora, L7/R1 transmit almost nothing below 400 nm, so those auroras would have to extend into the visible. ...

The L7 and R1 filters are high-pass filters, which I thought, should pass all wavelengths shorter than the nominal cutoff. The L1 slot, which contains no filter, should also allow UV wavelengths through to the detector.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 8 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 682

Please check this and tell me if you can see "stars" in the upper left of the pictures: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/navcam/2009-06-08/
Actually, I can see 3 "stars" about the same position on different pictures and another 2 more on the right on two other pictures.
May be I'm seeing what I want to see and they are artifacts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 8 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #23

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We've mentioned this many times before. Check the right and left eye. Compare them. If you think you've seen a 'star' or 'meteor' or something else....find the matching eye. For it to be a REAL object, it must be in BOTH images.

In this case - there are no similar star like features in both the right and left eye.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 8 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #24

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

I'd be more interested in something that appears in this image...
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...DQP0853R0M1.JPG
Just above HP to the lower left of image.
Haven't noticed an effect like that before.... ideas?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 8 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #25

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

A hot pixel with added pixel bleed?

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 8 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #26

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I don't believe that hot pixels "bleed" the way overexposed ones do. Perhaps a cosmic ray particle.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 8 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #27

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

If I was Spirit I'd be keeping a close eye on the top of Homeplate too...

Attached Image

unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jun 8 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #28

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Oersted @ Jun 8 2009, 01:59 AM) *
How fast can they take consecutive images? Would be nice to have a max. speed sequence, an *almost* movie, hopefully with a dust devil in it...

The "fast" dust devil movie gets 3 sec per frame at first, before slowing down. Less optimized imaging can be done at 10, or more normally 20 second spacing. Going faster requires other tradeoffs.

QUOTE (CosmicRocker)
The L7 and R1 filters are high-pass filters, which I thought, should pass all wavelengths shorter than the nominal cutoff. The L1 slot, which contains no filter, should also allow UV wavelengths through to the detector.

These CCDs have little UV response. L1 in particular would emphasize longer wavelengths even if there were UV sensitivity (ie, you might know you 'discovered' something but not know if it is zodiacal light, a dust riung, IR airglow, UV aurora, etc.).

QUOTE (akuo)
Would it be technically possible to track the Martian sky with the motors in the mast?

No, the mast precision is large compared to the typical star-trails.

QUOTE (Stu)
just wondering why Earth should be iffy..? It's not going to be an awful lot fainter than Venus..?

Earth is 1.6 magnitudes fainter in a clear sky. With current dust levels, I'd guess we won't see much until the Sun approaches 10-15 deg below the horizon. At those angles (E+V 15 deg up) the few extra deg up for Venus translates into another magnitude or two. My hunch is there is a narrow window about 50-75 minutes after sunset for Venus, with the best chance for Earth on the early side of that window. We'll see. (A couple years ago I could have been quite precise; my notes aren't that good.)

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jun 8 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #29

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 8 2009, 02:31 PM) *
I don't believe that hot pixels "bleed" the way overexposed ones do. Perhaps a cosmic ray particle.

Hot pixels will bleed when they accumulate enough DN, leaving what looks like a small blob with impossibly narrow tails. The pixels in question do indeed look like a cosmic ray, though.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jun 8 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Deimos @ Jun 8 2009, 08:40 AM) *
... These CCDs have little UV response. ...
Thanks, Mark. I was wondering if that was the reason you declared the UV experiment a "no go."

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.