Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
I Have A Question, the nearly forgotten Planck mission
deglr6328
post Oct 26 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

I recall seeing on a program called "Stephen Hawkings Universe" in 1997 on PBS, a sequence where an engineer was interviewed about his participation in building the spacecraft (behind him in the video apparently) for the Planck Surveyor mission (sensitive CMBE mapper). My question is why is it taking a decade to build this device? What is so complex about it? It was only like ~3 years from assembly to launch for WMAP.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Oct 31 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #2

Guests

I'll do some more digging on this for you when I get the time -- but the main thing to keep in mind about Planck is that it is MUCH more sensitive than WMAP. Also, Italy -- which was supposed to provide one of the two Planck instruments -- has run into serious funding problems which forced it to descope the instrument; and since Planck is supposed to be launched on the same booster as the huge "Herschel" IR telescope, the technical delays that Herschel is running into right now also naturally affect Planck's launch date.

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Oct 31 2005, 04:13 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

hmmm! interesting as always! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 04:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.