Philae landing on the nucleus of Comet 67P C-G
katodomo
post Oct 17 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 7261

QUOTE (climber @ Oct 16 2014, 05:25 PM) *
horizon would be very very close I believe

More so because the CIVA-P cameras are mounted tilted 15 degrees downwards.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Oct 25 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 172

Attached Image

For those interested to attend this historic landing and take this opportunity to fly to Paris (and pay us a visit : TPS / UMSF Members, please, tell us in advance), here below is the link to the only other official ESA/CNES event set-up for the landing of Philae (with the one held in ESOC in Darmstadt).
As you may know, the engineering of the Philae lander is under the responsibility of CNES (the French Space Agency), as well as its CIVA cameras and instruments suite.

This event will take place at the National Science Museum (Cite des Sciences) in Paris :

http://www.cite-sciences.fr/fr/au-programm...-sur-la-comete/

...and thanks again for your kind support over all those nice comments and posts !
Enjoy ! smile.gif

PS : Societe Astronomique de France is the partner of TPS in France since 1982 smile.gif

+Quote Post
polaris
post Oct 25 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #48

From: mes pieds à Paris, mon coeur dans les Pyrénées, mon esprit dans l'Espace
Member No.: 72

Bonjour Olivier !

Faut-il s'inscrire ?
Même s'il faut attendre pour y participer, j'y serai !

Cdt

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Oct 25 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (polaris @ Oct 25 2014, 02:48 PM) *
Bonjour Olivier ! Faut-il s'inscrire ?
Même s'il faut attendre pour y participer, j'y serai ! Cdt

Thanks a lot, Polaris
Please, try to arrive at 14:00 at the latest... And name you : I'll try to arrange so that you are well seated ! Friendly yours, VM smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Oct 28 2014, 02:24 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 7227

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 23 2014, 03:41 PM) *
The idea of transmitting images during the descent has been considered before, even as far back as the Surveyor landings on the Moon, and including Phoenix on Mars (actually, Phoenix MARDI images were not to be transmitted live, just transferred into the flight computer, and even that was too much of a risk).
Every time it has been abandoned because of the number and complexity of other operations at the same time.

Why can't they just use a separated and standalone camera to take snapshots during landing? If it works, that's fine, else, who cares?

Is there a detailed 3d model of the landing site available for 3d printing? I already printed the comet model, but the landing site detailed 3d model would fit well close to it on my desktop. :-)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 28 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #51

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mcgyver @ Oct 28 2014, 06:24 AM) *
Why can't they just use a separated and standalone camera to take snapshots during landing? If it works, that's fine, else, who cares?

They do. The challenge is offloading the data thru the flight computer to be transmitted back up to Rosetta and from there on to Earth - all whilst the flight computer is trying to land.

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Oct 28 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 28 2014, 03:27 PM) *
They do. The challenge is offloading the data thru the flight computer to be transmitted back up to Rosetta and from there on to Earth - all whilst the flight computer is trying to land.

This remembers me of the infamous 1201 and 1202 alarms. smile.gif Unfortunately there won't be any human onboard Philae, so actually delayed transmission is better!

Anyways it's really incredible to see how electronics evolved during mission journey! blink.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 28 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 15

As Curiosity demonstrated, though, it is quite possible (with modern electronics) to take descent images, store them and send them back to Earth later, when the landing sequence is *not* making the lander too busy to add the image transmission to its duties.

I would hope that planetary landers from now into the future will have this capability. It's not just valuable for developing context of the landing site within the general area, it also has the highest "cool factor" of any part of the missions, IMHO.

-the other Doug (With my shield, not yet upon it)

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Oct 28 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 28 2014, 04:22 PM) *
I would hope that planetary landers from now into the future will have this capability.

What I really hope/expect from future missions is HD video-shooting capability, rather than 1 Frame Per DAY "videos" rolleyes.gif ! Processor power and storage space are no more a mass/space issue, even if you'd enclose processor and RAM inside a lead box 3 mm thick! rolleyes.gif (Who cares if it will take years to send HD data back to earth? One day or the other they'll eventually arrive)

What was available on the (space) market in 1993 (date of mission acceptance) for onboard processing power and data storage? 10 MHz and 10 MB? huh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 28 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #55

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mcgyver @ Oct 28 2014, 08:05 AM) *
(Who cares if it will take years to send HD data back to earth? One day or the other they'll eventually arrive)

There's a few issues with what you're saying. Firstly - Rosetta is taking a lot lot more than 1 frame per day..... that's simply what's being released at the moment. Once all this data is delivered to ESA's PSA - there will be hundreds of image of 67P that people will be able to turn into pretty amazing animations.

And who cares how long it might take to downlink an HD video? Well actually - all the scientists and engineers entrusted with operating Rosetta and doing science with it. The amount of data it's possible to return from the somewhere as far as 67P is a massive constraint on operations. It's not a question of taking an HD camera, or processing it's data...it's getting it back to Earth.

A rough calculation: 90 second of highly compressed 720p video is around 170 Megabytes. At typical data rates from Rosetta - that would take 8 HOURS to download from the spacecraft. That represents pretty much an entire day's downlink from a typical deep space spacecraft. And for what? An HD video 90 seconds long that, to be honest, would be better represented by a few 2k x 2k still images anyway - and you would have given up all the other scientific measurements Rosetta could take that day. These spacecraft do not last for ever. It's wrong to assume data will somehow magically make it to Earth eventually.

Curiosity is capable of, and indeed has taken HD video from the surface of Mars - but only on a few very specific, very select and very rare occasions, for the same reasons - the quantity of data it's possible to return from deep space is a massive, massive constraint. Kaguya at lunar distances was capable of, and indeed did return many HD movies of the moon where the data rate doesn't represent such a constraint ( typical downlink from lunar orbit is more than 2,000 times faster than Rosetta right now.

+Quote Post
polaris
post Oct 28 2014, 06:02 PM
Post #56

From: mes pieds à Paris, mon coeur dans les Pyrénées, mon esprit dans l'Espace
Member No.: 72

Many thanks, Olivier !

I'll be there, right in time !

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Oct 29 2014, 12:44 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 468

I made a slopemap of site J using my terrain-model. (I'm assuming that the center of rotation is the gravityvector for the surface)

Attached Image

Cyan=good
Red=bad

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Oct 29 2014, 12:47 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 468

And an anaglyph of J using the same terrainmodel.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
SpaceScout
post Oct 29 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 7229

QUOTE (Malmer @ Oct 29 2014, 01:44 AM) *
Cyan=good
Red=bad

Great work! It looks promising for Philae. Can you tell us how much percent represent the "cyan=good" (<few degree) area?

--------------------
space scout

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Oct 29 2014, 09:50 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 10

'An HD video 90 seconds long that, to be honest, would be better represented by a few 2k x 2k still images anyway'

There may well be dynamics that only video will show, something to keep in mind for a future comet probe. I think of water dumps from old live feeds on NASA TV.

'Curiosity is capable of, and indeed has taken HD video from the surface of Mars - but only on a few very specific, very select and very rare occasions, for the same reasons'

It seems a waste to have capability that isn't used.

I wonder what the minimum time between 'RGB' filtered frames is for Rosetta? If the interval is brief enough there should be color images of the comet. They can eventually be used to help add color to lander images.

+Quote Post

95 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.