Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018- 21 Dec 2022
Phil Stooke
post Nov 28 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #46

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Being that close is not good for probing the core. For the core we need a big impact more than 60% of the way around the planet so waves pass through or around the core on the way to the seismometer.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Nov 28 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 1004

I had completely forgotten that I took a few pictures of an InSight mockup and French seismometer at the Le Bourget Airshow in 2015
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9228922@N03/1...57654838335682/

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Nov 28 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 424

An article by Paul Voosen on the Science site, based on an interview with Matt Golombek, contains interesting details of JPL’s initial assessment of Insight’s landing area.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/mar...g-study-planets

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 28 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 5221

Good news from To's link regarding the sandy interior of a hollow!
Wondering about this bit though:
The biggest mystery for the lander team right now is figuring out exactly where it is. A Mars orbiter set to image the center of the landing zone on Thursday will miss the lander, because it missed the center slightly. An instrument on InSight called the inertial measurement unit has pinned the location to within a 5-kilometer-wide circle. InSight’s entry, descent, and landing team will refine that estimate down to a kilometer or less.

They can't slew HiRise a little to the side where the IMU says the lander is? (my avatar's existence tells me MRO can do it) Or is the imaging strip just too thin to guarantee catching it on Thursday?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 28 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #50

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

MRO receives command sequences only a few times a month; its command load for the Thursday image is already onboard and can't be changed now.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
kenny
post Nov 28 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 759

Thanks for the link, Tom Tamlyn, which includes this assessment :

… its location, which closely resembles martian terrains previously scouted by the Spirit rover. For example, InSight landed in what’s called a hollow, a crater that has been filled in with soil and leveled flat.

QUOTE (kenny @ Nov 27 2018, 05:12 PM) *
My initial (and highly speculative) impression from the first images from each camera is that Insight has luckily landed inside one of those circular sandy areas that we first saw at the Spirit rover landing site in 2004. I think they were perhaps shallow craters in-filled with wind-blown dust and sand. The flat sandy terrain visible by the landing leg seems to finish abruptly a few tens of meters off, at rougher boulder terrain, from the higher viewpoint looking out alongside the seismometer cover.

So wasn't too far adrift.
Just sayin' ...! smile.gif

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Nov 29 2018, 12:15 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 196

Phoenix had a MARDI, though i recall it was never switched on due to some integration bug uncovered at the 11th hour that could have jeopardized the landing process. [EDIT: found the scoop on that]
I never thought about it until now, but I guess the Insight team decided to not to even include a MARDI for that or perhaps other reasons as well, so no descent images to help define the landing context.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 29 2018, 03:17 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (atomoid @ Nov 28 2018, 04:15 PM) *
I guess the Insight team decided to not to even include a MARDI for that or perhaps other reasons as well, so no descent images to help define the landing context.

We offered a number of options, but they chose not to use any of them (of course they had a cost.)

In all honesty the landing context argument isn't extremely compelling, assuming we get HiRISE images post-landing.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 29 2018, 04:11 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 497

A Mars orbiter set to image the center of the landing zone on Thursday will miss the lander, because it missed the center slightly.

Missed with HiRISE. If only there was a wider-field "context camera"... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Nov 29 2018, 05:17 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 4251

From the following three tweets:
https://twitter.com/HiRISE/status/1067874528187973632
https://twitter.com/HiRISE/status/1067874791648940032
https://twitter.com/HiRISE/status/1067875300178980865

MRO’s attempt to image InSight on the parachute during its descent was unsuccessful. The geometry was more challenging than the Phoenix & Curiosity images, and the uncertainty in timing and the limitations on MRO’s ability to rapidly pan the camera across the scene motivated the HiRISE team to use a camera setting which unfortunately saturated the detector. While disappointing, it is great to know that the parachute worked and the landing went as planned. We want to thank all the folks who worked hard on this (special thanks to @MarsMaven ) and we can't wait for some great science from InSight to start coming in!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 29 2018, 05:53 AM
Post #56

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Kudos to the MRO team for the great try. I doubt that many of us can appreciate the level of effort required to even attempt this sort of feat. smile.gif

Onward!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 29 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #57

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

From Science:

"Now, a friendly competition is on. Golombek and his peers hope to beat the satellites to fixing InSight’s location. They should have until 6 December, when an orbiter will likely capture it. Right now, they’re stretching out the scant imagery, trying to compare their hollow to existing high-resolution maps. Their job will get much easier next week, when the camera on the robotic arm’s elbow will be extended to photograph the lander’s terrain in detail."

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 29 2018, 10:04 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 678

What happened to the "raw" images page ?

https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/multimedia/raw-images/

There is none.

--------------------

+Quote Post
serpens
post Nov 29 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 4605

Er....yes there are.....???

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Nov 29 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 28 2018, 11:04 PM) *
From Science:

"Now, a friendly competition is on. Golombek and his peers hope to beat the satellites to fixing InSight’s location...."

I was thinking that Tim Parker in a couple of days after landing had Curiosity location to within 50cm using FHAZ, then realized InSight is in a parking lot without many features on the horizon. But if he managed to keep track of Opportunity while driving to Endeavour I'm pretty sure he will be able to do it in his sleep. ;-)

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:15 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.