Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Return To The Moon, Everything Old is New again
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Aug 5 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #31

Guests

The main thing that makes me nervous about using an SRB -- although they really have totally solved the Challenger leak problem -- is that solid motors have an unpleasant habit of blowing up suddenly, without any telemetry warning that would trigger a launch escape system.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MiniTES
post Aug 5 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 177

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Aug 5 2005, 10:19 AM)
The main thing that makes me nervous about using an SRB -- although they really have totally solved the Challenger leak problem -- is that solid motors have an unpleasant habit of blowing up suddenly, without any telemetry warning that would trigger a launch escape system.

But how many times has that happened to the Shuttle SRBs inflight?

+Quote Post
Ames
post Aug 5 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 423

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 4 2005, 04:38 PM)
14.7MN on an LV of 589 ton SRB + 80 ton 2nd stage+module = 21 m/s^2 or  2.2G

The real carefull issue is how to design the SRB to throttle down at the end of the burn - otherwise with 14.7 MN on a nearly empty SRB of 86.1 ton, you would have 9G smile.gif

Doug

It's a little worse than that
F = ma
Takeoff (590ton full SRB)
a = 14700/(590 + 80) = 22 (m/s^2)
then add 1G!
3.2G

Orbit (87ton empty SRB)
a = 14700/(87 + 80) = 88 (m/s^2)
don't add 1G we are in orbit!
9G huh.gif

The effects of drag will reduce the G experienced whilst punching through the atmosphere, but at takeoff and orbit this is zero.

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Aug 5 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #34

Guests

I'm pretty sure liftoff trust of the whole STS is about 28 MN, 1.7 MN per SSME gives about 11.5 MN for one SRB. This NASA page:

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/system/system_SRB.html

gives 2,650,000 lbs per SRB. I'm with the metric system and can't translate this into MN exactly, but it should be right. 14.7 MN is to high.

Ames, why do you ADD 1G? The forces are in different directions (up and down). IMO you must substract it, but only at liftoff. Just before burnout, you fly almost parallel to the earth and the gravity effect ist pretty small.

Btw, I believe the SRB trust is reduced just before burnout right now. You do this by reducing the exposed fuel area in the booster.

Analyst

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 5 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #35

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It's not fair to add the 1G on. I'm sat on a chair, and I dont really feel any acceleration going on, do you smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 5 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #36

Founder

2,650,000 lbs = http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2650000lb...:en-US:official

11 787 787.3 newtons

or 11.7 MN

Doug

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 5 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 135

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 5 2005, 11:07 AM)
It's not fair to add the 1G on. I'm sat on a chair, and I dont really feel any acceleration going on, do you smile.gif

Doug

Fall off the chair. You might notice soething then.

Chris

+Quote Post
Ames
post Aug 5 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #38

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/techno...ewsref/srb.html

"Each booster has a thrust (sea level) of approximately 3,300,000 pounds at launch"

Have they uprated them?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 5 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #39

Founder

3.3 M Lbs = 14.6 MN ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Ames
post Aug 5 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #40

Morton Thiokol (ATK)
http://www.atk.com/newsreleases2005/2005-07-26-discovery.asp

"Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) reusable solid rocket motors (RSRM) provided more than 6 million pounds of thrust in the first two minutes of flight to help send the Space Shuttle Discovery on its historic return to flight mission."

Must have been uprated since the nasa figures were posted.

Ah! All is clear...

http://www.atk.com/RocketMotors/rocketmotors_rsrm.asp

"...each RSRM generates an *average* thrust of 2,600,000 pounds and burns for approximately 123 seconds..."

+Quote Post
MiniTES
post Aug 5 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #41

Even so I don't think it presents a problem. You can a) cut the fuel such that you don't get more than maybe 4 or 5 sustained Gs, which is uncomfortable but bearable, and b) even if you do have 9 Gs it wouldn't be for very long, and it certainly can be dealt with by tranied astronauts.

+Quote Post
Ames
post Aug 5 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 5 2005, 12:07 PM)

Doug

I work at a PC all day sad.gif
At the end of it I am glad to take the weight of my butt and stand up a while.
People ask me if I would like to sit down, but I say "no thanks, I have sat down all day and would rather stand" - makes people nervous!

I definitely *feel* the acceleration! blink.gif

F = ma

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Aug 5 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 103

In the postings that someone put up this week for about the CEV and the Shuttle-derived launchers, the maximum G-force that was listed for any of the SRB derivative launchers was 4G. And I think that max was for the SRB 1st stage/liquid 2nd stage combo, with the greatest acceleration in the 2nd stage. The max for any of the SRB stages was 3.8G.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
MiniTES
post Aug 5 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Aug 5 2005, 01:54 PM)
In the postings that someone put up this week for about the CEV and the Shuttle-derived launchers, the maximum G-force that was listed for any of the SRB derivative launchers was 4G.  And I think that max was for the SRB 1st stage/liquid 2nd stage combo, with the greatest acceleration in the 2nd stage.  The max for any of the SRB stages was 3.8G.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me - where did you see this?

Honestly I'm getting really tired of people making fun of the idea and calling it the "Boomstick" and whatnot. It's safe, proven, cheap, and capable, and 3.8G is not at all unreasonable. Should be cheaper with greater lift capacity than the EELVs. And also man-rated and flown much more than the EELVs.

+Quote Post
tty
post Aug 5 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (Analyst @ Aug 5 2005, 12:59 PM)
Ames, why do you ADD 1G? The forces are in different directions (up and down). IMO you must substract it, but only at liftoff. Just before burnout, you fly almost parallel to the earth and the gravity effect ist pretty small.
Analyst

You neither add nor subtract one g. Think of what happens if the thrust is equal to the weight of the rocket. The rocket will sit still on the pad and You will feel one g as usual. It is only the net acceleration that is added. Those 2,2 g consists of 1 + 1.2 g. The "1" is needed just to not fall back to Earth. If the engine cuts out you will experience zero g but be accelerating 9.81 ms^2 downwards.

That the gravity effect is essentially zero at burnout is because at that point you are in a free-fall orbit, or nearly so.

tty

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.