Reply to this topicStart new topic
Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
fredk
post Mar 11 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

I'm over here! laugh.gif

Here's my take on the latest view of Bopolu. L6 and R1 registered and averaged to reduce jpeg artifacts. Linear contrast stretch and 3x vertical stretch (bottom). No smoothing/noise reduction apart from what happened during rotation.
Attached Image

Much better than our views on previous sols! I wonder if the improvement is just a more fortuitous auto stretching of the jpl jpegs, or if the sky is clearing too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 11 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 105

I think it's a case of increasing atmospheric transparency-- remember the crisp views of Endeavour/Iazu just a few days ago at Sol 2170. And it's only going to get better...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Mar 11 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #183

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

I've taken the image fredk made and tried to do some feature mapping on a reprojected HRSC image of Bopolu. I think this should be pretty close, the Google Mars 3D matches pretty well with what we see (also included) which gives me some confidence I'm in the right ballpark. smile.gif

Attached Image

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 11 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #184

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 11 2010, 02:44 AM) *
And it's only going to get better...

If it's down to atmospheric opacity, it's almost certain to get worse and better and worse and better..

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 12 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #185

Nice job, James! That GM view is really convincing.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 12 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #186

Member No.: 105

If it's down to atmospheric opacity, it's almost certain...
True, atmospheric transparency will have it's ups and downs, but starting the trek downhill, the view will be getting better...

--------------------

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Mar 14 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #187

Member No.: 675

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 12 2010, 12:04 AM) *
True, atmospheric transparency will have it's ups and downs, but starting the trek downhill, the view will be getting better...
I'm puzzled by that comment; although we will be getting closer, usually the view is best from the top of a hill.
Steve M

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 14 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #188

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

What about the view of the hill?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 14 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #189

The views should improve in the coming months because we're heading into winter, when the transparency's best. I doubt the tiny changes in elevation we'll do will make much difference.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 14 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #190

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

We should also take into account that the route will turn due east and head directly towards Endeavour once we go past the twin craters. After that point, the view should also start to become better in terms of resolution.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 14 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 542

Slight downgrade and smaller ripples should also help.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 15 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #192

I was delighted to find a nice 4-frame horizon pan among today's images and I've assembled a paper copy. Bopulu is on the right and each of the leftmost two frames contains one prominant dark horizon feature. The one in the second frame looks like the feature Phil identified here:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=20656.

From our current position I reckon the twin craters should be about 7 degrees to the left of that, but the two dark horizon features are about 15 degrees apart. In short, I'm not really sure of the identification of either of them, or where (or if) the twin craters actually appear in this view.

Help!!

+Quote Post
Tman
post Mar 15 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #193

Member No.: 186

I get these values from the position on sol 2181. The feature at 181° should be a part of the twin craters.
But it seems to me it's just the left rim of the left crater (from the viewpoint of Oppy on sol 2181) and because of the twin craters cover about 5 degrees in this image your 7 degrees could roughly match nevertheless...

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 15 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #194

OK, but that's a little unexpected since from fredk's earlier post below it would seem that the twins' most prominent feature is the mound smack in between them and the rest of the leftmost crater doesn't show at all:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=20655

Of course if the feature that Phil identified (tentatively) is actually something rather farther away then a 15 degree angle between it and the twins midpoint could make sense. But Phil's identification was quite convincing . . .

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 15 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #195

I'm not sure what features are twin craters or if we can even see them yet, but the features I ID'd in the image you posted above can't be the twins. From our current viewpoint, they should've parallax shifted to the left compared to the distant feature much more then they have. So it seems all of these features are quite a bit farther than the twins. I guess it's not too surprizing the twins are hard to see, if they don't have much in the way of raised rims.

Edit - I agree with Tman that the feature at azimuth 181 degrees is about right for Twins.

+Quote Post

50 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.