Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ancient oceans on Venus, Possible detection of surface granite by Venus Express
Juramike
post Jul 14 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

space.com article on the possible detection of granite by IR signature on some of the ancient-looking plateaus:
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0907...-venus-map.html

Granite is formed by chemical processing with water in the mantle.
The lower density granite bloops up and forms continental material.

The argument is that if there was processing of subsurface rock by water, there may have been oceans and plate tectonics.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 15 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Exciting & interesting, but gotta play skeptic.

For one thing, there's certainly nothing like a definitive spectral signature of granite here, just a putative compositional difference based on thermal emission (with a strong correlation to altitude... huh.gif ) Second, exposed granite on Earth weathers away relatively quickly; I've seen some pretty rotten granite in the Rocky Mountains. Admittedly, water's not a serious player on Venus' surface, but it seems reasonable to assume that H2SO4 is pretty common, perhaps even more so at higher elevations from atmospheric precipitates?

I dunno. Guess we have to build a lander or two & go find out for sure! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dburt
post Jul 15 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 14 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Exciting & interesting, but gotta play skeptic...

Me too, but for additional reasons. Large bodies of granitic rocks on Earth commonly are believed to have used subducted water as a flux (dissolved substance that lowers the melting point), but such a process cannot yet be demonstrated for Venus, which may have lacked both a granitic continental crust and liquid water. In addition, many other dissolved substances besides H2O, including sulfates and carbonates, can act as fluxes in magma (molten rock). Furthermore, if higher elevations on Venus have a different spectral response, this presumably could be caused by temperature effects (including coatings of frost-like mineral condensates) alone.

Even in the absence of fluxes, granitic and intermediate rocks, generally in small amounts, can be formed by the classical, experimentally proven "Bowen mechanism" - extreme fractional crystallization of basaltic magma. This mechanism is how small bodies of granite are believed to have formed on Earth's Moon, for example, in the virtual absence of water. It was once believed to be how all granites formed.

Agree - granite problem probably needs a lander or two.

-- HDP Don (edited after reading original article)

+Quote Post
qraal
post Jul 16 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 679

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 15 2009, 12:32 PM) *
Exciting & interesting, but gotta play skeptic.

For one thing, there's certainly nothing like a definitive spectral signature of granite here, just a putative compositional difference based on thermal emission (with a strong correlation to altitude... huh.gif ) Second, exposed granite on Earth weathers away relatively quickly; I've seen some pretty rotten granite in the Rocky Mountains. Admittedly, water's not a serious player on Venus' surface, but it seems reasonable to assume that H2SO4 is pretty common, perhaps even more so at higher elevations from atmospheric precipitates?

I dunno. Guess we have to build a lander or two & go find out for sure! smile.gif

I agree with your conclusion but sulfuric acid decomposes thermally before it ever goes near the solid surface.

Need those landers - especially some nuke-powered rovers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.