12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
DSCOVR
scalbers
post Jan 3 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Here is our "DSCOVR Transcendance" poster from AGU, highlighting Blueturn and the Simulated Weather Imagery. The authors included Michael Boccara, Jay Herman, and Zoltan Toth.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/232523

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/mediafile/H...anscendance.pdf

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Mar 1 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #152

I've recently made some fixes to the handling of Rayleigh scattering in making simulated Earth images. This makes the simulated blue sky (over ocean areas) somewhat darker than previously. As a result less color adjustment to the DSCOVR web images is need to make a match. Hopefully this is now a more realistic color and contrast.

Attached Image

The left is simulated (ray-traced) from global 3-D weather and land surface data, right is a DSCOVR/EPIC image at the same time. In general my simulations come up a little short on the brightest cloud reflectance values. This can be partially addressed by adjusting the anisotropic reflectance factor for the bright cloud tops.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Mar 3 2018, 06:09 PM
Post #153

Also for comparison, here is an image constructed from the DSCOVR calibrated counts data, converted to reflectance and then using my color processing algorithms to calculate the RGB values. The blue color looks somewhat brighter than in the DSCOVR web page images. This should be close to a true color / contrast astronaut view. The brightness is set to minimize clipping of the brightest white clouds. There's really an interesting variety of whiteness to the clouds with the deepest most opaque ones near the center being the brightest. Some additional processing would be needed to register the individual narrowband image locations better, considering the Earth's rotation.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 20 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #154

With some further adjustments I get this comparison that is hopefully a bit closer, including a slightly darker blue over the oceans. The land is now brighter relative to the scattered light in the atmosphere.

The ocean/sky blue is brighter in the image one post above for perhaps multiple reasons. One way to characterize this gap is to note that the simulated 551nm reflectance in the darkest ocean areas is about 4.4% compared with 5.0% observed. The blue channel and color saturation are also higher in the above post. The same dark ocean areas are observed to have ~12.4% reflectance at 443nm and the simulation has a lower value. This gap can be bridged by considering reflected sunlight from beneath the water surface, and also checking the reflected skylight from the surface.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 21 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #155

With this refinement to increase the reflected light from beneath the water surface we can see the comparison below.

Attached Image

The simulated image on the left is a closer match to the observed color processed version in post #153. The image on the right is from the DSCOVR website with an empirical color adjustment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 3 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #156

To help with rendering the Earth, a guideline I've come across is that the chromaticity of the blue sky (due to Rayleigh scattering) should be about x=0.23 and y=0.23. This helps quantify the relative values of RGB in the clear sky portion of Earth images. This is assuming that the standard CIE color matching functions are correct in describing how this color is perceived.

A relation that I hadn't before known is that this "Rayleigh Blue" color is about the same color a star would have with an infinite (or very high) blackbody temperature. Thus on an imaginary planet orbiting a very early type O star a water cloud there would be about the same color as a haze free blue sky on Earth, instead of white.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 12 2019, 10:14 PM
Post #157

DSCOVR has been in safe mode since June 27th: https://spacenews.com/dscovr-spacecraft-in-safe-mode/

I wonder if an archive of L1B files is stil available in NetCDF or HDF format?

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 3 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #158

A fix is being worked on: https://spacenews.com/software-fix-planned-...restore-dscovr/

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Apr 1 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #159

DSCOVR has been back in operation now, already for a few weeks. The color processing for the web images is also now more accurate than it was before the hiatus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Apr 4 2020, 11:27 AM
Post #160

Member No.: 4103

QUOTE (scalbers @ Apr 1 2020, 06:07 PM) *
DSCOVR has been back in operation now, already for a few weeks. The color processing for the web images is also now more accurate than it was before the hiatus.

Thank you for your reports on DSCOVR!
In case anyone needs a link to the whole-earth photos: https://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/
bob k

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Apr 23 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #161

Sounds good bkellysky! I'm attaching a relatively recent comparison (still before the hiatus) with a simulated Earth image from real-time (independent) 3D cloud / aerosol fields with land surface data. DSCOVR is on the right. This version underestimates the dust aerosols off the West Africa coast near the right limb, though I'm presently testing some improvements.

Attached Image

More info is here: http://stevealbers.net/albers/allsky/outerspace.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Jan 21 2022, 04:59 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 6083

DSCOVR also caught the start of the eruption:

https://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/archive/natural/...20115042159.png

Attached Image

Taken at 04:21:59 GMT

+Quote Post
Michael Boccara
post Oct 29 2022, 01:44 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 8032

This is October, 25th, 2022, and the time is 11:19UTC.

Two cosmic events are happening at the same time, involving the 3 main celestial bodies. In one sentence:
The Sun is smiling while looking at the Moon cast its shadow onto the Earth.

Two pictures shot at the exact same moment:
1. Left: Almost total sun eclipse over Russia. See the Earth "eaten" at the North-East. Picture by DSCOVR satellite around L1. What the Sun sees of us...
2. Right: a smile draw on the Sun surface by its coronal holes. As if it liked the show smile.gif. Picture by NASA SDO satellite, also on L1, but looking the other way.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Oct 27 2023, 03:19 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 4103

DSCOVR image including the darkness over western North America from the annular eclipse of Oct 14.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 27 2023, 03:28 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 117

Nice image, but something must be off with the colors- the shadow looks brown but should be neutrally colored, as the moon will block all wavelengths equally.

John

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.