2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Names for large KBOs
JohnQMetro
post Feb 5 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1671

In recent months, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone but me cares about naming. I know 2003 UB313 got a name fairly quickly, but what about 2005 FY9, announced at the same time? Why is it that 2002 TX300 and 2002 AW197 remain unnamed, despite being fairly large and known about for a few years? Does anyone have any info on this?

Also, does anyone have info on the satellite of Orcus?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 5 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (JohnQMetro @ Feb 5 2007, 04:32 PM) *
In recent months, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone but me cares about naming.

Anyone but you?
Boy... rolleyes.gif
"Naming" is my middle name.
What is there to be named? Under which rules?

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
David
post Feb 6 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 56

In recent months, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone but me cares about naming. I know 2003 UB313 got a name fairly quickly

I wouldn't call 20 1/2 months "fairly quickly". Although, given that it took 49 months to name Sao, Halimede, and Laomedeia, perhaps it might seem that way.

+Quote Post
JohnQMetro
post Feb 7 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1671

QUOTE (David @ Feb 6 2007, 08:41 AM) *
I wouldn't call 20 1/2 months "fairly quickly". Although, given that it took 49 months to name Sao, Halimede, and Laomedeia, perhaps it might seem that way.

Well, to be fair, the naming of 2003 UB313 probably had to wait until the issue of whether it was a planet or not was settled. However, for the others, they are large enough (or probably large enough) to qualify as 'Dwarf Planets', but they still are given nothing more than numbers, when even 1 km natural satellites of Jupiter get real names.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Feb 7 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12

I'm wondering when we'll get to hear what the mass of the Eris/Dysnomia system is. Michael Brown's Dysnomia page remains silent on the issue, and there's nothing relevant in arxiv.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Feb 7 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Also, does anyone have info on the satellite of Orcus?

The data seems to have been collected but nothing has been published yet.

http://www.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/get-visit-status?10860

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 9 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Guests

On naming KBO, I believe that the outer ( retrograde orbiting ) little moon of Saturn was confirmed ( after scans by Cassini-Huygens mapping spectrometer ) as an object coming from the Kuiper Belt... and it's named PHOEBE after one of the Titans from Greek mythology... But one day we'll be out of names from Greek mythology wink.gif

+Quote Post
ollopa
post Feb 9 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 113

Since we're on the subject of names, it's not the Kuiper Belt, it is the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt and the objects we are discussing are EKBO's.

Kenneth Edgeworth was an Irish polymath with published research in the fields of engineering, economics and astronomy. He wrote only one paper for the British Astronomical Association's prestigeous Journal, in July of 1943, but in it he reasoned that there should be a very large number of small bodies beyond the orbit of Neptune. He further noted that, at such a distance from the Sun, collisions between particles were so infrequent that only small bodies could form out of the limited amount of cosmic rubble.

Edgeworth's paper was published eight years before Kuiper presented his ideas at the 50th anniversary symposium of the Yerkes Observatory. Kuiper's 1951 paper makes no reference to Edgeworth's published work (K. E. Edgeworth 1943, J.B.A.A. 53, 186).

Kenneth Edgeworth was virtually unknown in international astronomical circles. Gerard Kuiper on the other hand was, by any measure, one of the most accomplished astronomers of the 20th. Century. His contributions include the discovery of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of Mars and (in 1944) the existence of methane in the atmosphere of Titan. In 1960 he founded the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 9 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 542

Is that the BAA Journal? I've never been sure of its status as an academic publication or how widely it has been circulated, historically.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 9 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Has anybody ever made an estimate of the total mass of the Kuiper Belt? I've been thinking of it as a halo of basically unaccreted primordial material, would be interesting to know how much of it there is. Would be suprised if the total mass was greater than that of Mars... huh.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 9 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15

The problem with making estimates of the total mass of the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud is that we only have a rather general idea of the original composition, extent and characterization of the solar nebula. We have some rather basic constraints to it, but we really don't have a lot of definitive data to determine how much mass was in the original nebula, what the distribution of that mass was throughout the nebula, how much has been ejected from the solar system over its lifetime, etc.

There are models out there, of course. Depending on which model you use, and how you set your variables, you can get any number of answers for how much mass is wandering out there past Neptune's orbit.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ollopa
post Feb 9 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 9 2007, 04:31 PM) *
total mass of the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud

Since this is a thread about nomenclature - but at the risk of sounding like an obsessive - I must point out that just as the Kuiper Belt is actually the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt, the Oort Cloud is in fact the Öpik-Oort Cloud.

This is not a completely trivial matter. Aside from which Greek god should get a mention, should original ideas in astronomy not be attributed to the people who propose them first?

In 1932 Ernst Öpik postulated his theory that comets originated in a cloud orbiting far beyond the orbit of Pluto. This was eighteen years before Jan Oort published.

Ernst Öpik (October 23, 1893 – September 10, 1985) was an Estonian astronomer and astrophysicist who fled the Russian occupation of his country and spent the last part of his career (1948–1981) at Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland. British readers may know that his grandson Lembit Öpik is a member of the British parliament and a strong supporter of Spaceguard.

You can hear the last talk given by Ernst Opik before he died at:

http://www.arm.ac.uk/history/opik/opik-talk.html

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 10 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15

Yes, but... history is replete with examples of situations where the original discoverer, first publisher, etc., gets passed over and the real estate, planet, formation or effect are named after someone else. (After all, we don't call the land masses on my side of the pond North and South Columbia, or even North and South Erikland. They're named after the guy who published the first well-used *maps* of this hemisphere.)

In other words, these things have never been done fairly. Who are we to start now? smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Feb 11 2007, 05:01 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 156

Not to threadjack, but since they were mentioned, does anyone know if either Edgeworth's or Kuiper's original papers are available online (without being behind somebody's firewall, of course)? I've always been curious to read them.

Back to names - I'll just put in a brief plug for my fave EKO, 2003 EL61, "Santa." I'm looking forward to it and its two moons getting official (if not as cute) names.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Feb 24 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #15

does anyone have info on the satellite of Orcus?

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iauc/RecentIAUCs.html

SATELLITES OF 2003 AZ_84, (50000), (55637), AND (90482)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.