3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix Outreach, ... or "That's the way to do it..."
aggieastronaut
post Sep 17 2008, 04:00 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 3568

I was given the reason that Phoenix was an "inanimate object" therefore it violated their policy that Facebook profiles are for humans only. sad.gif I do say though, Phoenix is anything but inanimate! laugh.gif

And a Spacebook would be awesome!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 17 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #17

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (aggieastronaut @ Sep 17 2008, 05:00 AM) *
I was given the reason that Phoenix was an "inanimate object" therefore it violated their policy that Facebook profiles are for humans only. sad.gif I do say though, Phoenix is anything but inanimate! laugh.gif

Stupid stupid stupid. And inconsistent too. LCROSS, Hubble and New Horizons all have Profiles? Why has Phoenix been picked out as being an "inanimate object"? Truth be told, half the people I know on Facebook would qualify as "inanimate objects" ;-)

I've just signed up to be a Friend of the "Challenger Center", too. Is that an animate object?

Maybe we should suggest to Google - a space mad company if ever there was one - that a "Spacebook" would be a good idea...

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 17 2008, 06:51 AM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

To be fair - I can sort of see facebooks point.

'The Chris Moyles Show' is far from inanimate - but you don't become a friend of a pretend person - you can become a fan of it. That would seem a more appropriate methodology of affiliation for people wanting to show their support of, and get news about spacecraft.

Just my 2p's worth.

Doug

+Quote Post
aggieastronaut
post Sep 18 2008, 05:08 AM
Post #19

As far as I know, Hubble, Webb, MER (also run by me), LRO, LCROSS, Xmm-Newton, Snap, Swift, Messenger, New Horizons, Fermi, Glory, Kepler, Aura, ATV, SDO, SDO's HMI, and probably more have profiles. And yes, it'd make more sense for them as pages, but when I started MER's, pages didn't exist. wink.gif

And I liked using profiles because you could give them a personality and interact with people better. Take, for example, my interview here where I'm Phoenix (http://neuralgourmet.com/2008/07/27/phoenix-lander-interview-part-1/)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 8 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #20

The Poet Dude

Another good piece on the mega-successful Twittering of our favourite polar probe...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Technology/home

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 17 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #21

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

And another nice article relating to the success of the Public Outreach efforts on Phoenix.
http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/267531

+Quote Post
aggieastronaut
post Nov 21 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #22

Since probably most of you can't see the comments on Facebook, I'll pass along my favorites after announcing Phoenix's end.

"I wish there was a Salvation Army there, so you could get some scarves and thermal underwear."

"I volunteer to go up and bring a large bag of Sterno. I'll put them all around and under you, it will help keep you warm. I'll drink hot chocolate and sing you songs. Then we can celebrate Spring, (maybe a little dance?) and I'll come home, and you can get back to your adventurous work. ok??"

"choose life! sad.gif"

"RIP Pheonix. Well done, probie. Well done."

"that'll do Phoenix Lander. that'll do."

"Fare the 6-month winter well, young lander. We all hope to hear from you when sunlight once again fills your solar tummy."

Oh, and relatively soon there should be an article on MER's Facebook/Twitter!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 27 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #23

The Poet Dude

Very good piece here on the success of Phoenix's Twittering...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081...nix-lander.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConyHigh
post Nov 29 2008, 04:38 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 4305

QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 27 2008, 03:11 PM) *
Very good piece here on the success of Phoenix's Twittering...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081...nix-lander.html

This was all about the Twitterer. She did a good job, but....

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 29 2008, 06:16 AM
Post #25

The Poet Dude

um... but what..?

The Phoenix Twittering literally revolutionised the way NASA covers its space missions, breathed new life into it I'd say, and set a very high standard of Outreach for future missions - of all agencies - to aim for. Thanks to the Twittering tens of thousands of people (and I'd think probably hundreds of thousands) felt involved personally in the mission, and were able to connect with it, its scientists and its goals in a way never seen before. She did a great job, I'd say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ArtandSpace
post Jan 23 2009, 06:41 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 4564

Agree with Stu 100%. It was innovative , progressive and somewhat risky for NASA to try Twitter and it worked beautifully! Maybe we'll get live video on our cell phones on the next mission!

Art

Commercial link removed - Admin.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 11 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #27

The Poet Dude

BIG congratulations to JPL's (and our!) Veronica McGregor for winning a "Shorty" award for Twittering the Phoenix mission! (scroll down to the 'Science' category)

1000% deserved, and proof that the reporting of space missions will never be the same again! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 11 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #28

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Heyyyy! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Well deserved indeed, Veronica, and thank you! I hope that your boss takes appropriate notice!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
aggieastronaut
post Feb 11 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (dmuller @ Sep 16 2008, 06:10 AM) *
So, then, why dont we create Spacebook?

It seesm we've been beaten on this idea: http://fcw.com/Articles/2009/02/09/Web-2.0...ng-a-while.aspx

If only it wasn't for employees only!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 14 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #30

The Poet Dude

Some thoughts on the rising influence of Twitter and what I like to call the new "Mouse Media"... smile.gif

http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2009/02/1...eeks-and-tweets

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.