IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mariner Mars 1964, Mariners 3 and 4 to Mars: imaging plans?
Alan Stern
post Jul 14 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

QUOTE (peter59 @ Jul 14 2008, 09:20 AM) *
Today is the 43 anniversary of the first Mars flyby.

I would like propose you a very interesting article written by Doug Rickard.
Memoirs of a space engineer.

Doug Rickard was a very unusual man, with very unusual biography. Doug worked on the British Atomic Weapons Tests at Maralinga in South Australia in the late 1950s, and was victim of incident known as "Maralinga Cobalt 60 incident". I emailed with him a few times maybe eight years ago.

And on precisely the 50th anniversary of the Mariner IV flyby, New Horizons will reach Pluto.
Our team has already begun compiling a list of Mariner IV alums to invite to see the first reconnaissance
of the ninth planet at the edge of the classical planetary system.

Alan Stern
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 15 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #77

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Alan, please forgive me, but I really do have to ask: Is this purely a coincidence, or a lucky but hoped-for hit based on NH's launch date? I know that nobody would ever waste fuel trying to make this really remarkable anniversary happen.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 15 2008, 03:36 AM
Post #78

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Could be just as much of as coincidence as January 14/15 being a popular times for major encounters/landings/flybys lately...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jul 15 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 476

The NH Pluto / Mariner 4 Mars flyby connection was pointed out by one of the UMSF folks here, and Alan had thought that was just great (a coincidence). This was after the Pluto flyby date was firmed up after launch.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jul 15 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 15 2008, 03:32 AM) *
Alan, please forgive me, but I really do have to ask: Is this purely a coincidence, or a lucky but hoped-for hit based on NH's launch date? I know that nobody would ever waste fuel trying to make this really remarkable anniversary happen.

Nprev-

It's just a coincidence I recognized a few years ago, but I like it-- it nicely symbolizes the bookend nature of NH.

-Alan

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 15 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #81

Member No.: 174

Viking 1 was sort of trying to land on July 4, 1976 <200th anniv of signing of the Declaration of Independence>, but landing site certification blew that date, so they had to settle for the anniversary of the first manned moon landing, instead.

Both dates were available within the "optimum" timeline and didn't take any fudging to try to achieve.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 15 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #82

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

I have put together a little commemorative compilation of the Mariner 4 images, along with the nearest decent context image of the correct hemisphere in the International Mars Patrol collection in the lower right hand corner.

Attached Image

I have also attached a fused mosaic of frames 1-4 with the small gap filled using interpolation and false noise to give it an even texture. The other sets are too far away from each other for that to work.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Jul 14 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 745

I would like to note that today is the 45th anniversary of the first close-up pictures from Mars.

Five more years and we will celebrate the 50th anniversary ...

by looking at pictures from Pluto!

wheel.gif

+Quote Post
peter59
post Dec 17 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 299

Attached Image

I'm looking for Mariner IV televison data tabular display. Twenty-eight pages of this format type were required for each picture. Reward is serious (except fame and glory) for the first complete picture (if it still exists).

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 17 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 5458

May be available from the NSSDC if you contact them. There's a page for Mariner 4 Master Data Records and Mariner 4 MDL Reacquisition Data on CD-WO. Not sure if either would include the full playback data or if any of them would be included but far as I can find, there is nothing available on their FTP regarding the raw data. Here are all of the raw converted photos though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 17 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #86

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

There was a long discussion of this deeper back in this section if you go looking. One problem about NSSDC is that the archive medium was film - negatives, in other words, not digital or paper.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 17 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #87

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

I have tried multiple places (including the NSSDC), and I am starting to believe that the volume doesn't exist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 17 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #88

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think this - http://mm04.nasaimages.org/MediaManager/sr...mp;profileid=21 - or something VERY similar to it is in the hall of the Media Relations offices at JPL. I'll gigapan it one day - you can read every single number off it.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 18 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 5458

That's pretty neat. So they took all the matrices and hand colored each number basically?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 18 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #90

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

They bracketed the values into big ranges - and each range got a different color

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.