Google Lunar X Prize
Stu
post May 6 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #61

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (imipak @ May 6 2008, 08:37 PM) *
but do any of them have a realistic chance of launching metal within, say, five years?

Astrobotic are planning on their landing taking place July 2009, to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 6 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Stu @ May 6 2008, 02:29 PM) *
Astrobotic are planning on their landing taking place July 2009...

Glendower:
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

Hotspur:
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 7 2008, 05:27 AM
Post #63

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Good point, but it does suggest an element of "dashing for the prize" don't-spare-the-horses thinking, dontcha think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
imipak
post May 7 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 617

Full inline quote removed. - Doug.

It does; but is that thinking realistic?

Their site's frustratingly short on details. However - whilst I can believe the assembled engineering clue are capable of producing a working rover, I can't see how they can get it onto the moon unless someone gifts them several hundred million dollars for a commercial launch, and - how much for developing a transfer stage and landing capability, which are less available off the shelf?

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 7 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #65

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, imipak, several hundred million dollars is way out of line for a launch. Several tens of millions is more like it (this has been the subject of a lot of discussion on their forum). And one Astrobotic team component is Raytheon - at least, a group from Raytheon working privately on this project. They have a lot of expertise, it's not just a group of rover builders. Some other teams plan to launch themselves - unrealistic, in my view.

I understand that Astrobotic expect to pay for a commercial launch, and the Raytheon people will design the transfer stage and lander. The whole thing might cost $80 million, and they are now raising money for it. We all know that will be hard, but Astrobotic are as well prepared as anybody to do it. As things stand now I think there are only two serious contenders, Astrobotic being one of them. The 40th anniversary of Apollo 11 seems too close to me, I think another year will be needed.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 8 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #66

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

What is the other one?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 8 2008, 02:16 AM
Post #67

I'm not saying! Can't afford to alienate everybody else... but if a certain person reads this he'll know his team is the one.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
imipak
post May 8 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 7 2008, 08:46 PM) *
No, imipak, several hundred million dollars is way out of line for a launch. Several tens of millions is more like it [...] The whole thing might cost $80 million,..

I stand corrected on the launch cost - thanks! However, I still don't see how it can be done without huge amount (say $80m) of corporate charity, and that seems like an awful lot, especially these days. Then again they don't appear to be idiots, so I guess it's just possible they know something I don't! wink.gif As always, I'll be happy to be proved wrong by events... as usual. smile.gif

Anyway, returning to Stu's original point - is there anything useful I/we can do that might reduce the risk to the Apollo 11 site? Or are we worrying unnecessarily?

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 8 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #69

"I still don't see how it can be done without huge amount (say $80m) of corporate charity"

I know what you mean. But they don't regard it as charity. I confess I don't know that this is possible, but the major teams are looking at ways to earn that money.

Astrobotic had links with the old Lunacorp, and has some of the same plans for selling video and other content as entertainment. Odyssey Moon issued a request for Information in March to get ideas for science instruments they could carry, and NASA's Missions of Opportunity guidelines have just been changed (as I understand) to allow Discovery Program money to fund instruments on commercial missions. So they are looking at sources of income to recoup their costs. To my mind the Odyssey Moon plan looks more realistic - though the time needed to make it all happen might delay the landing too much for the prize. Astrobotic has to raise the money up front and then hope to recoup it by selling content - which might be hard to do.

Some other teams have plans that do seem to rely on charity. Those, I think, will not get off the ground. But the antigravity team might get off the ground. I can't see anything holding them back.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 8 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #70

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 8 2008, 07:57 PM) *
But the antigravity team might get off the ground. I can't see anything holding them back.

Except for pesky old reality.... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post May 10 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 10

“To destroy the relics of the past is, even in small things, a kind of amputation, a self-mutilation not so much of limbs as of the memory and imagination.”

The Apollo artifacts on the Moon will last far longer than anything in museums on Earth. Being put in a museum is the last stage in the existance of valued artifacts, as they tend to be in 'prestige' cities which are eventually destroyed. I would prefer the objects in New York and Washington D.C. be dispersed into smaller places away from 'target locations'. The Kansas 'Cosmosphere' could well become the largest collection of space flight artifacts within the lifetimes of some group members.

Apollo 11 may be sacred, but to me not all landing sites are created equal. If I had to pick an Apollo site worth revisiting, it would be Apollo 14. The Lunar surface television from that mission was the poorest of the colour cameras used, due to a defect causing 'spreading' of bright parts of the image. It would be interesting to see if there was anything left of the nylon flags. If they are intact there might be a trace of blue pigment left, but the red would be bleached out of all sun exposed surfaces. Examination of the LM descent stage for micrometeorite pits, etc. after a long exposure to Lunar conditions would be useful in planning for hoped for Lunar bases. It would be nice to finally see the interior of 'Cone Crater' before pushing on to parts unknown.
Apollo 15 would be a close second, because the Hadley Rille scenery is worth revisiting. Otherwise I would put a rover down at 'Ina', the glassy looking formation once called the 'D' Cauldera'. The source pit of the Io like volcanic 'ring' sprayed across southwestern mare Orientale would be interesting to examine close up. So would be the youngest lava flow on the Moon, wherever that is determined to be.

Don

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 10 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #72

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Very good point really in your last, Don. Why the hell should we revisit places we've been to before at this stage of the game?

The Moon has plus or minus the same surface area as Africa, and we've seen very, very little of it up close & personal. Surely it would be more prudent--and obviously far more scientifically productive-- to set down an X-lander in a previously unexplored region of geological interest, if feasible.

I know that scientific productivity might not be on the minds of the competitors right now, but in the long run it had better be. NASA might well decide to subcontract UMSF to vendors that demonstrate robust capabilities someday, and this sure looks to me like an early chance to shine in that regard.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 11 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #73

That is exactly the rationale of Odyssey Moon.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 11 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #74

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

I wish them luck; seems as if my opinions & theirs are fairly congruent. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Betelgeuze
post May 11 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 614

heh nprev thats the point I've been trying to make, look how that turned out rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.