Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 3 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

Full inline quote removed - you know should know better Climber! - Mod

Hi Rakhir! Such a long time you've posted here...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post Oct 3 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 495

Not so much. Last one was mid-September wink.gif
However, I agree that last months, it was difficult to find the time to follow all the updates.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 3 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I actually said outloud when reading that entry

"Bloody hell!'

"What?" Says Helen

"A spacecraft 4 months older than me that they've not spoken to for 10 years just started working!"

Remarkable.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Oct 3 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4093

That is indeed most remarkable. I reckon the spacecraft must have flown something like 25 billion km (a very rough estimate) since launch ... compares to the 18 billion Voyager 2 has done. ISEE-3/ICE was also the US contribution to the Halley comet in 1986. I have the following events on my website (the part that is not maintained):

CODE
ISEE-3/ICE    
12 Aug 1978   Launch
1978-1982     Halo Orbit at L1.
11 Sep 1985   Comet Giacobini-Zinner Fly-By.
01 Mar 1986   Comet Halley Flyby.
1991-1997     Solar Observations.
05 May 1997   Mission Terminated.
-----------------------------------------
Oct 2008      Contact re-established

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Oct 4 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4334

That's really, really incredible. Was this a JPL thing, like the MERs?

I never heard of this spacecraft before (of course, its main mission at the comets was before I was born!)

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 4 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 682

I sometimes forget how to use the proper answer button here wink.gif , but I've never forget ISEE-3.
It was a time of "vaches maigres" for interplanetary spacecraft so, it was remarkable (even before been sent to a comet) because of its "out of the Earth" trajectory... that eventualy became interplanetary. It came a year after the Voyager's launched, 2 years after the Vikings landed, 3 years after Mariner 5 Mercury fly by (hot topic these days)...
Souvenirs are diffuse (you know, no camera...) but I think it was the first to collect data of Halley's comet before Giotto and the Vega's even get there.
Welcome back home little one.
I must also say that, even if we're living now in the golden age of space exploration because of the Internet, it was also good to live at those not so remote times. I was personaly very exited by launches, en route and fly bys, but the infos you had "live" were very limited. You had basicaly to wait one more month to buy a "scientific" monthly issue. This was before I discovered AW & ST and Air & Cosmos which improved the speed (and the interest) by 4 folds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
brellis
post Oct 4 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1700

I'm curious to know who left the radio transmitters on. I suppose a reprimand wouldn't be in order in this case?

Farquhar said that in a meeting held at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory about six months ago, they were discussing ICE, and it was revealed that the fellow who was supposed to have instructed ICE to turn off its radio transmitters during the last communications session maybe had not done so. He was right; ICE was ready and waiting to communicate with Earth.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 4 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #9

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

An ignorant question here, but why would you instruct a still-functioning spacecraft to turn off it's radio transmitter? Wouldn't that almost guarantee to kill the spacecraft (or at least make it harder to find?)

I can't imagine the radio output would be powerful enough to interfere with any radio studies (and long-term tracking info might be kinda fun anyway - to measure all those funky solar pressure effects and so on....)

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 4 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #10

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 4 2008, 01:02 PM) *
Wouldn't that almost guarantee to kill the spacecraft

That's sort of the point smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 4 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 523

Yes, but what's the harm in leaving the spacecraft alive? If you neglect possible radio interference with a DSN station while it's trying to communicate with another s/c on the same frequency and in the same part of the sky, but really, what are the odds of that happening?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Oct 4 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 162

Has anyone looked over where ICE has been hanging out for the last 10 years?? Some seedy bar in the asteroid belt, or soaking up some rays around Venus ??

I smell a story !

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 4 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 184

Speaking of turning off spacecraft, I recall rumors that VL-2 (Viking) that functioned for about 4 years had been turned off by mistake, thus ending its mission. I see though in Wikipedia that it was turned off "when its batteries failed".

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Oct 4 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1563

Thats genuinely cool! I bet it's been playing tourist for a bit, sunbathing at mercury, cloud surfing venus, and meeting 'characters ' in dimly lit asteroid belt bars... laugh.gif It's enough to make a planet bound buggalo jealous! laugh.gif

Edit: Tasp, sorry for the plagarism, the idea of 'seedy asteroid belt bars' caught my imagination. Makes me think of some of some of the bars in salford where you need the confidence of a veteran space explorer to set foot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 4 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #15

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (scalbers @ Oct 4 2008, 02:05 PM) *
Speaking of turning off spacecraft, I recall rumors that VL-2 (Viking) that functioned for about 4 years had been turned off by mistake, thus ending its mission. I see though in Wikipedia that it was turned off "when its batteries failed".

I think you are thinking of Viking 1.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.