32 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
AndyG
post Mar 12 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 279

I think I have a new desktop background.

Many thanks for all the work that's gone on over the months.

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 12 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #422

Member No.: 117

Fabulous as always, but something is *still* wrong with the wheels. Though you say reflections are turned off on the wheels, they still appear to be mirroring their surroundings in an unrealistic way, like they are chrome-plated rather than "shiny black". In fact the underside of the left front wheel looks almost the same color as the surface in front of it, as though it's a perfect (even if slightly diffuse) reflector.

Not that I could do any better or anything :-)

John

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 12 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 1097

First of all, once more, thanks for your kind words! (this applies to everyone not just john_s being quoted).

..what shows on the wheel is dirt added with post-processing methods; it's not reflecting the ground, it's just dirt that stayed on the wheels. I think that from this point on, things become objective and it's just a matter of taste. Some may now ask why the top part of the wheels is not as dirty as the bottom. I don't know, the wind was blowing from behind the rover and cleared it smile.gif These "perfect" imperfections sometimes happen irl.

...I guess I should start a poll every time I do a render! LOL smile.gif

...still waiting for Doug's reply, seems to be teaching me how to be a little more perfectionist that I already am.

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 13 2012, 05:55 AM
Post #424

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yeah - the wheels still look mighty shiny, however you got there. It needs to be a far more matt with a very soft specularity to it. Getting there, but not quite

Another thing worth doing.... take all the layers that make the rover - add a tiny bit of noise, and then soften it by about a third of a pixel, just so the feel, the inherent texture of the rendered image better matches the pancam mosaic.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 13 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #425

Goodmorning everyone. I am at work atm, as soon as I get back I'll soften the reflections on the wheels (since everyone seems to agree on this) - however, as you have seen in previous render the material is done properly, so I guess sometimes it needs a different feel. Ok for the noise too - I have a plugin to match the noise of the background.

..I hope we are saved from all these procedures in other renders, I'll try to be more thorough. I have already done a render from the hazcams of the rover, but now I guess I have to change the render's ratio. Also, I will probably have trouble integrating this properly since it's a strange angle...

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 13 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #426

So, we ended up here... Here is the differences made in the color of the wheels, so you can easily compare with the previous one (left is the new one obviously), along with the slight difference of noise + slight blur for the render to blend better to the image - although I guess this could only be seen in higher zoom levels.

The new render is on a link on the differences images beneath:

Enjoy, I hope we are done smile.gif

edit: Plus, here is a little something for you to have something to look forward to. Here is a render I also want to photo-integrate. However the angle will give me some troubles, since I haven't been able to find -so far- matching reference from mars...

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 13 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #427

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Nick,
I hope you don't mind, I used your render for a new Facebook profile pic for me. I added a cheesy headset since I do mostly customer support.

Attached Image

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 13 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #428

LOL! no problem!

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 13 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #429

Founder

Got to say - those wheels still look very very shiny. They're not flat black enough by far ( and the chrome metal hold-down bold is still on each wheel )

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 13 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #430

ahm... I was aiming for a dirty look than a matte black...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 14 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #431

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I think the dirt is your problem. Maybe delete the dirt and apply something not quite so dense but only on the surfaces that point upward. The down-facing surfaces on the wheels should be mostly black.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2012, 01:58 AM
Post #432

Founder

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Mar 13 2012, 03:56 PM) *
ahm... I was aiming for a dirty look than a matte black...

For whatever reason - they simply look reflective. You need to quit the 'dirty' idea - and re-render them as near flat matt black. Go look at the amount of influence the bright blue puppy-training paper has on the color of the wheels back at KSC. Almost zero. The dust also tends to slip and slide off very easily. Till you dump the 'dirty' color, I think it'll continue to look shiny and reflective.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 14 2012, 03:06 AM
Post #433

Member No.: 615

If this helps, here are a few images that I think illustrate the way the wheel might look.

First image is based on a Dan Maas model that I added to a Mars scene.
Added some dirt etc to the model for effect.

Second image is the model that sits in the Canberra DSN visitor centre.

Third image is one of the special effects shots produced for JPL.

Hopefully these will give you some handy references.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 14 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #434

Member No.: 615

btw, couldn't resist playing with that hazcam image idea smile.gif wink.gif
Attached Image

yep, I know the proportions aren't right. just playing!

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 14 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #435

...now I see what your point was. So, once I am done with the rendering I am doing for the job, I'll re-render the wheels in matte black (& without the metal thingies tongue.gif) and re-integrate. I am glad that you people are happy with everything else, so the wheels is just a minor issue, although it took so much effort :/

edit: Astro0! smile.gif hehe...

Plus, I wanted to say once more that I would never expect to see so much excitement over a project like this. I mean, yes, I did expect to see some, but not so much. It's great to see your love about this project, even though the rovers are far far away. To me it's turning out to be the main purpose I designed the rover.

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.