21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Friends in Need When Nature Hiccups, Natural Disasters forum
Astro0
post Sep 2 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #106

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Seen elsewhere on the interweb, but I thought may be of interest here.
The recent Station Fire behind JPL - beautiful and really scary at the same time.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I hope that Mt Wilson will be OK.
We lost Mt Stromlo in Canberra back in 2003 and I still feel sick in the stomach everytime I go up there.
Lots of rebuilding since then but the history that was lost was just devastating.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 2 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #107

Guests

Although the TV news showed aerial images with smoke very close to the 100 inch dome, good news prevailed;
http://palomarskies.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 4 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 1200

Cough, cough, cough...

The Station Fire is still burning, but AFAIK noone in MER (or JPL) had any damage or injury. Maybe you have already seen this time-lapse video of JPL shot last Fri/Sat http://vimeo.com/6325431. JPL is the complex of white buildings in the lower right. In this video my house is outside the frame to the left. The fire got quite close to JPL. I left late on Friday and the view was quite impressive. The lab was closed on Monday except for essential personnel.

The fire got to within 100' of my property line where I have tall trees. I left my house when I saw that the hill in front of my house was on fire. There are lots of tall trees around my house and was sure I would have lost it in the fire. I packed quickly, took my pictures, documents, my backup hard drive, my kids drawings but had forgotten to take my record collection that I have since high school. On Sunday morning I was allowed to walk up the hill in Briggs Terrace to fetch more things. I left my record collection but took my signed copies of Squires and Jim Bell's books. Priorities!

As a side note, I had left my mail and web server at home on during the fire and periodically was pinging the server to see if my house was still there. Needless to say my server responded every time.

I was able to return home on Tuesday evening and I was amazed to see that in spite of the fire getting close, nothing got damages or burned. Everything was covered in ash and soot, the air quite unbreathable, but I was amazed at what the firefighters were able to do. Things are getting back to normal. Got the house and back yard cleaned up. I still need to repair the pool pump and clean up the pool (forgot to turn off the pool pump). My kids were happy: watching cartoons on TV, playing on their laptops, and school was closed!

Sharon, rover driver Frank and TAP/SIE Linda were quite close as well, and had to evacuate as well. Scott lives in Pasadena, far enough not to be evacuated.

Paolo

Added a picture I took last Friday 8/28 at around noon.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 4 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #109

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Agreed, the precision and professionalism of the firefighters who protect property during California's wildfires is awe-inspiring every year.

Scary how close it got to you Paolo -- I'm happy that all ended well! It's good to hear from you after a long hiatus in posting to UMSF.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 4 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #110

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 4 2009, 10:11 AM) *
Agreed, the precision and professionalism of the firefighters who protect property during California's wildfires is awe-inspiring every year.

Perhaps slightly less awe-inspiring in 2003 when every house in my neighborhood in suburban San Diego was burned to the ground, and CDF refused to allow the Navy to drop on it. rolleyes.gif

I'm certainly glad the outcome in Pasadena was better.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 4 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #111

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

It was a close call. Glad to hear from you and that everything is ok.

The closest I got to a situation like that was on the beginning of July when a fire started on a large field right behind my back yard almost at midnight; it was a local holiday at the neighborhood and the fire started due to some fireworks. It expanded very quickly but fortunately the wind was not going in our direction but to the left and the firefighters came in less then 10min. The fire got to about 100m of my fence.
If the wind would have been in our direction I would certainly had to wake up the kids and left them with our neighbors at the other side of the street.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 5 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 4 2009, 07:03 PM) *
I still need to repair the pool pump and clean up the pool (forgot to turn off the pool pump).

Dear Paolo,

I had a stop over at LAX at 5 am last thursday and couldn't see any fire from the plane. Strange.
Regarding cleaning the pool, you may want to free Spirit first so you'll have plenty of "cleaner" available at work.
Glad I can write some humour now that the situation has improved.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 5 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #113

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

The smoke blanket was extremely thick, Climber; in fact, it was so thick that it often looked like a large cumulus (nearly cumulo-nimbus, in fact) cloud formation from the LAX area & southward.

Paolo--great news!!! Welcome back, brother, and great to hear that all the other MER gurus @ JPL are also in good shape!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 5 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #114

Guests

Indeed good news... LA Times wrote;
http://joy.chara.gsu.edu/CHARA/Slides/Rutten.pdf
Thanks to these guys;
http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-fire3-20...0,2110651.story

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 5 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 4 2009, 10:03 AM) *
Everything was covered in ash and soot,

Have you thought about shoveling some of that up and trying it in the testbed?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 19 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #116

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

In case anyone was wondering if I'm okay, as the raging floodwaters close in over Cumbria, after 3 days of non-stop rain, yes, I'm fine, thanks! laugh.gif Kendal where I live is relatively untouched - flooding in some low-lying areas, river horrendously swollen and lapping at its banks, but no major damage. Unlike where my mother lives, up in Cockermouth. There the town centre is under several feet of water, and RAF helicopters are airlifting people out of houses as boats go up and down the Main Street...

I was in Penrith all day, one of the speakers at a training day for local Council people, hoping to make them aware of the problems of light pollution. The plan was to end the day with a coach trip to Kewsick - but seeing as Keswick is now eligible to be twinned with Atlantis, that didn't happen.

Very difficult times up here in the Lake District. We've got off very lightly here in Kendal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 19 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 615

Stay dry mate.
The exact opposite here in Australia. Another big dust storm over the last few days and the the hottest November tempeatures on record! 35-40C+ for 13 days straight in some places.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Nov 19 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 4093

... add to that the 'catastrophic bush fire alert' in 3 states today. There's a fire going about 50 kms from the Narrabri Australia Telescope but it's not under threat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 19 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #119

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Some pics of Kendal tonight... http://www.flickr.com/photos/38065120@N04/...157622713631821

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 19 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #120

Guests

Things are looking pretty serious in parts of Cumbria - seems we may have a record breaking one day rainfall event - possibly approaching 300mm. With even more to come too.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.