12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Iapetian image series
scalbers
post Sep 23 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Or would the grainier (snowy) material be in Roncevaux Terra with more small shadowed areas between grains that help contribute to the opposition effect? I would surmise then that CR is less granular, perhaps more tarry or something. The actual size of the grains may be less important in deciding whether there's an opposition effect.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 23 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #167

Member No.: 523

It's quite possible, I was just trying to spark some discussion. Zero phase behavior difference seen here could be pretty interesting. I'm not acquainted with photometry and backscattering properties of different materials. My comment was based on the fact powdery surfaces (very beaten up regolith) seem to show the strongest opposition effect. It could just as well be dependant on the specific materials. The shadowing effect is only a part of the equation, coherent backscatter (if that's what it's called) is I think more important at zero phase. These shots seem to suggest CR shows very little of that effect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 23 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #168

Gordan - these are interesting animations that you put together, and yes there are several factors that can contribute to the opposition effect. I think there was a post (by edstrick) mentioning the morphology of some features in Roncevaux Terra suggesting grainy snow, so the opposition effect may lend more support for this. He also suggested the dark terrain was granular though.

I wonder whether there is more of an opposition effect on the bright side of Iapetus compared with other icy satellites? There is a general discussion by Sanna Kaasalainen in this thesis, particularly in section 1.4.3 where Anne Verbischer is mentioned:

https://oa.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/....pdf?sequence=1

And this paper might be interesting to read if I had a subscription:

http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/rp/rp2_...19_81_ns_nf_cjp

Beyond that, this gives me something to look for when walking around during the upcoming winter days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 24 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 523

Interesting PDF from a glance, thanks for the link. Regarding other icy moons, as far as I can see this is by far the lowest phase observation of any moon yet by Cassini (around 0.05 degrees minimum at disc center, comparable to the apparent angular diameter of the moon, 1.5'). I know there were some other low phase moon observations - Rhea comes to mind, but it was nowhere near this low a phase. Cassini did observe the rings at zero phase quite often, though. Earth-based observations such as the recent one are more favorable for catching several moons at the same time, but Cassini has the benefit of actually resolving the moons into discs.

Personally, I don't think Roncevaux Terra can come anywhere near Enceladus when it comes to the opposition surge. It's fairly bright albedo ice (comparable to Europa IIRC), but you can't beat the shiniest object in this stellar neighborhood. It might be interesting to compare it to Rhea on the other hand - similar albedos, but Rhea appears to be slightly dirtier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 24 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 542

Interesting. I would expect ice deposited as frost in a near vacuum to be very pure (hence bright), and in very small particles (hence high opposition surge) wherever it happened to be located. If Roncevaux is both less bright and shows less opposition surge than Enceladus I'd be inclined to attribute the differences to radiation damage rather than 'dirt' as such. That would be consistent with a very much lower deposition rate on Iapetus than on Enceladus - not unreasonable.

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Sep 25 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #171

Member No.: 1067

Below images from 17, 19 and 23 september together with simulated views (using Steve Albers' maps)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 29 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #172

Nice views that you put together CAP-Team. One thing I'm working on is to try and soften the image edge on the map near the terminator in the vicinity of the central meridian in these views. One minor suggestion on the presentation would be to consider rotating the Celestia views (with certain keyboard controls) to match the orientation more closely.

It's interesting to backtrack to what we were looking at with the July 2007 imagery (Harkeppler in post #138) from a similar vantage point. For example the dark escarpment on the eastern rim of the western Claude basin was visible in those images.

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:44 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.