IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The First Europa Lander, What can be done first, cheapest & best?
ugordan
post Jan 5 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

There's more to radiation shielding than x-rays and gamma rays. In fact, I'd wager the primary damaging mechanism of Jupiter's radiation belts is directly via charged particles trapped in the belts (not secondary photons they produce when braking) and secondary particles. A low-Z material would be better suited for slowing down those suckers. In that vein it doesn't strike me as odd titanium would be used. In the end, it's always a tradeoff between different characteristics like primary absorption cross-section, secondary radiation production, etc.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 5 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #122

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Low-Z also means low weight. Ti's got a number of excellent, complementary properties.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jan 5 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #123

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

I'll bet these guys have some good pointers on choosing radiation tolerant electronics

http://bura.brunel.ac.uk/bitstream/2438/14...rd06_hobson.pdf

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 5 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #124

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Which is a very fair point - casual scanning of the usual sources didn't yield anything that indicated Titanium was often used for radiation shielding but that's not a surprise - most of the tech\materials stuff that crop up here tends to be in the "hard to find on google" category and I resisted the temptation to dig into the NTRS - anytime I do that months seem to disappear. smile.gif

I was just looking at Doug's other point - the 1x1x0.8m safe masses 130kg - if that was _just_ titanium it would only be about 5.5mm thick plate. Making things out of solid metal, even a fairly low density one like Titanium, pushes total mass up awfully quickly.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 5 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #125

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

http://opfm.jpl.nasa.gov/files/Y-McAlpine-...s%20Learned.pdf - big pdf containing a flash based presentation from http://opfm.jpl.nasa.gov/europajupitersyst...umentresources/ - they talk all about it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 5 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #126

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Ah no, I've been sucked in - see you guys sometime in February. smile.gif At least I've found the high-Z vs low-Z discussion points and why high-Z has some particularly bad downsides for Juno which seems to explain the choice of Titanium rather than the Tungsten\Tungsten Copper that crops up in the bits I've found so far.

+Quote Post
Marz
post Dec 10 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 482

JEO (Jupiter Europa Orbiter) launch in 2020 land in 2026! let's light this candle!

"NASA is considering dropping two robotic landers on the surface of Jupiter's moon Europa..."
http://news.yahoo.com/jupiters-moon-europa...-212201869.html

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 10 2011, 03:33 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Marz @ Dec 9 2011, 07:34 PM) *
let's light this candle!
I take it this is a vote for an orbiter mission over a lander mission.

While the lander mission is exciting, the much longer lived and broader ( multiple moon flybys) orbiter mission is more interesting and will provide plenty of excitement in its own right.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Dec 10 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 12

Agreed that a broad reconnaissance would be preferable. But a short lived lander with a similar mission scope to MSL might well be able to find enough through detailed in-situ analysis as to make the case for a super-duper flagship very strong indeed, whereas an orbital only mission might merely find suggestive/ambiguous evidence.
Might being the operative word of course...

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 10 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 1004

the problem is: without an orbital reconnaissance you don't even know what are the most suitable sites where to land and make in situ analyses

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Dec 10 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 1083

The bigger problem right now, Paolo, is there's no money for this unless a Europa lander can be proposed for a Discovery mission.

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Aug 8 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 773

NASA Discusses Future Robotic Lander Mission To Europa
http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1112917...-lander-080713/

The paper by Pappalardo et al. is published in Astrobiology Journal:
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/ast.2013.1003

Best Regards,
Marc.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.