Reply to this topicStart new topic
Unmanned Exploration Of Comets & Asteroids
djellison
post Jan 5 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

How about 'dedicated close encounters' and 'distant encounters of opportunity'?

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 5 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

Earth flew through the tail of Comet Halley in 1910. And since our planet has often been called Spaceship Earth....

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
tty
post Jan 5 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 5 2006, 04:19 PM)
Earth flew through the tail of Comet Halley in 1910.  And since our planet has often been called Spaceship Earth....

Said spaceship has had a lot of close encounters of the violent kind with asteroids and comets, the latest in 1908.

tty

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 5 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #19

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

But the earth is hardly 'unmanned' smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 5 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 5 2006, 02:33 PM)
But the earth is hardly 'unmanned' smile.gif

Doug

That should be unpersonned.

wink.gif

http://www.users.bigpond.com/smartboard/pc.htm

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 13 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #21

Five years ago on February 12, 2001, the NEAR-Shoemaker probe became
not only the first one to orbit a planetoid (Eros), it also landed on the big ol'
rock:

http://near.jhuapl.edu/

And to think it was a Valentine's Day gift, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 20 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #22

Radioisotope Electric Propulsion: Enabling the Decadal Survey Science
Goals for Primitive Bodies

STAIF, February 12-16, 2006

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/mcnuttstaif06.pdf

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 20 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4057

I cannot found better topic than this one so I apologize for reanimation of this old topic.
Here is my collage of all cometary nuclei imaged by spacecrafts and planetary radars at 25 m/pix.
Now it's with C/2013 A1 Siding Spring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Oct 21 2014, 12:25 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 3511

machi, by your topic re-ignition you help to keep this wonderful resource that is UMSF concise.. yet.. wonderfully detailed...
Thanks for posting...

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 2 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 5221

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-spa...ites-into-space

NEA Scout has been approved to piggyback on SLS, along with 12(!) other cubesats, four for the Moon, the rest for deep space, and three others from international partners, yet to be announced.

The target is 1991 VG, which might actually be an artificial object from the 60s or 70s...

+Quote Post
bobik
post Nov 16 2016, 07:50 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 6732

Day of decision is coming! "During ESA’s ministerial conference in Luzern, December 1-2, 2016, the decision will be made whether or not to fund the Asteroid Impact Mission (AIM), a collaborative effort with the international AIDA mission. To reinforce the importance of the AIM mission within the scientific and space communities, asteroid experts Patrick Michel, Alan Fitzsimmons and Debbie Lewis drafted a letter in support of AIM [...] published here for the public to sign."

+Quote Post
bobik
post Dec 3 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 6732

"Insiders say [AIM] missed their target sum by perhaps a few tens of millions. “A cool project has been killed because of a lack of vision, even short term, and courage, and this is really sad,” says Patrick Michel, a planetary scientist at the French National Centre for Scientific Research in Nice, who leads AIM. ..." [nature.com]

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 3 2016, 04:04 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5221

Darn, so close! Hopefully the DART component will be approved in March. Even a clone of the Deep Impact mission is better than nothing....

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Dec 13 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 7310

Wörner said a few days ago (9 Dec) that he is trying to rescue the AIM mission, though how realistic that is, I have no idea.

Woerner, on the lack of funding for the Asteroid Impact Mission: I don’t give up. I keep fighting for it because it is too important.

Woerner on AIM: ran into problems when Germany offered less than expected, then withdrew funding altogether. Still working to “rescue” it.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/807274575658618880

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/807278269011738624

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 13 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1004

there was an article about AIM in this week's "the Space Review"
AIM misses the funding target, for now

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.