66 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mission: Hayabusa 2
pandaneko
post May 17 2016, 09:57 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 5323

Apparently, there is a new JAXA web page where you can look at Hayabusa2 position and the target position.

The article I found by chance said:

Right now, Hayabusa 2 is flying at 26.37km/second. Distance to earth at 11:00 on 17 May 2016 is approx. 2704x10,000
km, and the distance left is approx. 9820x10,000km.

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Jan 2 2018, 03:54 AM
Post #182

I have somehow associated the arrival timing of Hayabusa2 with the Olympic games in Tokyo in 2020, but I chance discovered last year
that Hayabusa2 will be arriving some time in the end of June to early July of this year.

During this period I will be walking again on the Flame Mountain in China west and from last year's experience in China
I will not be able to use internet properly. Shame...

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Mar 1 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #183

The asteroid is now coming into view.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 1 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 1004

in English: Hayabusa2 has detected Ryugu!

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 14 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #185

Apparently, Hayabusa 2 is now only at Moon-Earth distance from the asteroid. I remember it looked like a dot
only a month or so ago. Is Hayabusa 2 that fast?

P

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 14 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #186

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, it's that slow. It will still take a month to reach Ryugu. With an ion engine you don't scream up to the target and then slam the brakes on!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 15 2018, 04:18 AM
Post #187

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yup. At current relative velocity as of right now, about 25.75 days to get there.

Still...getting close! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 16 2018, 01:07 AM
Post #188

There was an article in today's newspaper here. Students in the control room are being trained in more than 50
emergency operations using a model called Ryuguroid and the firing of the copper plate is scheduled
to take place in March next year (2019) with live (with 20 minutes delay) viewing.

I no longer remember the name of the first steroid. It was light in appearance, but this Ryugu is expected
to be dark.

P

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 18 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #189

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Hyabusa 1 visited asteroid Itokawa. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 20 2018, 03:59 AM
Post #190

There is a tiny article in today's local newspaper. Hayabusa 2 will arrive at Ryugu on 21 June and stop at 20km
above it The first landing (of what it does not say) will take place in September. My guess is that it is the battery
powered MASCOT, presumably befoe battery goes flat.

P

+Quote Post
pospa
post Apr 20 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #191

Member No.: 5979

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Apr 20 2018, 05:59 AM) *
Hayabusa 2 will arrive at Ryugu on 21 June and stop at 20km
above it The first landing (of what it does not say) will take place in September.

Yep, it corresponds to the mission schedule here: http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/topics/mission_schedule/
Btw, H2 relative speed to Ryugu today is ~130 m/s at 250k km distance. http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 20 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #192

QUOTE (pospa @ Apr 20 2018, 08:18 PM) *
Yep, it corresponds to the mission schedule here: http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/topics/mission_schedule/
Btw, H2 relative speed to Ryugu today is ~130 m/s at 250k km distance. http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/

Thank you, Pospa. I realise that the web page of Hayabusa 2 project is not available in Engish, whic is surprising.
On it, I found that the project team has just today made available, a smaller web page with more technical
aspects, called "Haya 2 NOW" and that is also only available in Japanese. The entrance to it is clickable on the main
Hayabusa 2 web page. Once in there you see sections as you can see below. I translated them for interested followers.

A: Current date and time is shown to seconds. Time is the local time where access is being made, not Japan Standard Time.
B: Time lapse since launch time (L: 13:22:04 3 December 2014) is shown.
C: Time of data generation, local to Hayabusa 2.
D: Time of data acquisition, local to ground station.
E: Position of Hayabusa 2.
F: This will flicker while high gain antenna is being used. High gain antenna is disk shaped. Power consumption (bus power) is also shown.
G: View from ONC-W1. Rough position and size of Ryugu is shown as seen by ONC-W1 in the vicinity of Ryugu.
H: Antenna being used is shown.
I: Orientation of the middle gain antenna (MGA) is shown in degrees. Orientation can be changed, looking to the earth.
J: Status of transmitters on board Hayabusa 2. Power amp. mode (A or cool.gif, transmission mode, bit rates, antenna connected
K: Signal strength, bit rate, antenna being used by the two receivers on borad Hayabusa 2 when receiving transmission from gournd station.
L: Cumulative duration of each of 12 chemical thruster firing in seconds.
M: UDSC64 refers to the antenna at Usuda station, aboout 30km from my mountain summer cottage. It is in use if wave like appearance is seen.
N: USC34 refers to the smaller antenna at Uchinoura Space Centre. Other anttenas around the world will also be shown when in use.

In addition to above, there is a button (square in shape) at the lower right of the dusplay . This is a transmission simulator for signals from here to Hayabusa 2. It will show how long transmissions will take.
Please enjoy Haya 2 NOW.

Hayabusa 2 Project team
20 April 2018

My guess is that G is perhaps the most interesting because there on the G window we may be able to see
something before publicity pictures appear in newspapers etc.

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 20 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #193

Just to mention where exactly the entry point to Haya 2 NOW sub page. It is inside Hayabusa 2 project page which
Pospa carried, second web page, in particular. There, you find "Topics (information)" and there are tabs below it.
If you open the 4th tab from top you will find a diagram. Just above the diagram is a clickable portion,
"http://haya2now.jp/". It is in there.

What follows is the operational sequence as of yesterday.

10 January 2018/ Ion engine start (3rd period)
Early June Ion engine stop
Early June approach to 2500km
21 June to 5 July approach to 20km
End July approach to 5km
August gravity measurment device descend at 1km height
September to October Touch down operational slot 1
September to October Rover release operation slot 1 for rover release
November to December Joint operation (comms. break down)
January 2019 Approach to 5km
February 2019 Touch down operation slot 2
March to April Crater making operation
April to May Touch down operation slot 3
July Rover release operation slot slot 2
March to Novemver Stay close to Ryugu
Novemver to Decemver Departure

P

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 21 2018, 03:39 AM
Post #194

Member No.: 5221

Wow, that's one of the neatest and most detailed mission websites I've ever seen, thanks for bringing it to our attention! It's going in my bookmarks even though I can't read Japanese...

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Apr 21 2018, 05:30 AM
Post #195

Adding a little more on the Haya2NOW diagram, please see below, translated labels.

Labels on the Haya 2 NOWdiagram

From left to light and at each point across from top to bottom

1. Below Hayabusa 2 diagram/ Bus power consumption
2. Below ONC-W1/On board navigational camera outline view
3. Below ANTENNA/antenna
4. Below MGA/(from top to bottom) middle gain antenna, azimuthal angle, elevation angle
5. Below Transmitter/(from top down) transmitter, transmission power amp.,
transmission mode, transmission bit rate, antenna in use
6. Below receiver/ (from top down) Receiver, recption signal level, bit rate, antenna in use
7. Below Thruster/Thruster firing cumulative duration in seconds
Below the diagram is the list of ground stations. Two stations in Japan have communication simulator. Canberra has one, but not other overseas stations.
At each station Hayabusa 2 position is given with ground station local time. I think azimuth and elevation is local orientation at each. Just below the time reads Hayabusa position and just below it from left to right is azmuth and elevation.

Just belw directional information there is a set of numbers, date and time, which I am not familiar with. Top top single character 出 means apperance, and 没 means , usually, sink, or possibly disappear. My guess is that they are related to local horizon at each station.
Below all this is the health of communication. Below it is the time of communication start at each station.
If you open one of the simulators you will find, top down, At the topmost is the caption, comms. simulator, then below CMD1 to 3 reads "Send CMD1" etc.
Finally, at the bottom is repeated positional information of Hayabusa 2 with time local at each station.

What I fail to understand is the simulator. I had a brief go at it and a number keeps going up and that is about
all I can see. Can anybody tell me what this is all about. I know and everybody knows that it s about 20 minutes
from here to there, so what is the use of this simulator?

P

+Quote Post

66 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.