IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
OSIRIS-REX mission to 1999 RQ36 (Bennu), New Frontiers Mission to Launch in 2016
BYEMAN
post Mar 31 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 7125

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 30 2016, 05:13 PM) *
There are three Atlas V launches on the manifest before OREx, so it's a little early to worry about this.

Not true. Spacecraft shipment to the launch site is less than 6 weeks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 31 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (BYEMAN @ Mar 31 2016, 11:37 AM) *
Not true. Spacecraft shipment to the launch site is less than 6 weeks.

I presume you're saying it's "not true" that it's early to worry about this. The Atlas launch manifest is a matter of public record. Next launch is MUOS-5, which was slipped from 5 May to 12 May for the OA6 anomaly investigation. I wouldn't expect that week to ripple forward all the way to OREx. http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organiza...muos-5-mission/

If you have an actual source of information that says this is a concern, post it. The spacecraft won't be mated to the LV until about a week/10 days before launch if the Juno experience is any guide.

BTW, http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39920.0 is the best source of information on the Atlas anomaly that I'm aware of.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Mar 31 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 557

Here is a story just out for the Atlas problem: Spaceflight Now - Narrowing list of suspects

To give the team ample time to figure out what went wrong and implement any corrective actions, the next Atlas 5 launch has been rescheduled from May 5 to May 12.

Also from the same website is their reported Launch Schedule, which shows Osiris-REX sitting comfortably at September 8th behind three other Atlas 5 launches (and as an aside Bepi-Colombo just got added to their list for January).

I'd really like to see this launch. It's going to have one single solid strap-on. Don't see that often.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 1 2016, 04:58 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Mar 31 2016, 06:34 PM) *
It's going to have one single solid strap-on. Don't see that often.

I would not recommend googling for it.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Apr 1 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #35

LOL - I see what you mean.

+Quote Post
bobik
post Apr 2 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 6732

QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Mar 31 2016, 11:34 PM) *
(and as an aside Bepi-Colombo just got added to their list for January).

SpaceflightNow is not up to date. BepiColombo was silently postponed to a launch in early 2018.

+Quote Post
BYEMAN
post Apr 10 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #37

Next Atlas launch went indefinite.

+Quote Post
BYEMAN
post Apr 13 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #38

Looks like SBIRS GEO-3 will be leap frogging over O-REX to help preserve its launch period.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Apr 19 2016, 03:47 AM
Post #39

MSSS TAGCAMS Camera System Performs Well in Thermal/Vacuum Test

http://www.msss.com/news/index.php?id=124

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 24 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #40

Todays Atlas V launch went perfect. Had more solid boosters and engine restarts to worry about than Osiris_REX will have.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Sep 9 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #41

The launch of OSIRIS-REX went perfectly. The spacecraft has deployed and is now on its way to Bennu.

Update: Confirmation that both solar panels have deployed.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Sep 12 2016, 03:41 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 4251

Kind of surprised that this thread is so quiet. Anyway, thought you all might be interested in this report from an emergency response commander in the 45th Space Wing, writing about the SpaceX explosion (cough, deflagration) that occurred just days before the ORex launch:

"No sooner had we accomplished the securing of the pumps when I was approached by another one of our range users who explained they were losing pressure on the chillers at a neighboring launch complex. Without those chillers the spacecraft for the next launch would be lost. Needless to say at this point I had to reestablish our priorities and get a team working on a way to get our IRT into Space Launch Complex 41 to allow access for technicians to enter in order to make the necessary repairs. As we were reviewing the plan, word came in from Pad 41 that all of the pressures were lost and technicians had to get to the spacecraft immediately. This is a situation when good working relationships with our counterparts at Kennedy Space Center came into play. We were able to coordinate with the KSC EOC for access through their roadblocks and get the required support to the spacecraft in plenty of time to not only save the spacecraft, but to keep the planned launch on schedule. "

Yikes!

http://www.patrick.af.mil/News/Commentarie...e-eastern-range

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 12 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 530

Wow. Thanks for sharing that! I'm not clear on what those chillers were chilling and why it threatened OSIRIS-REX...?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 12 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Sep 12 2016, 06:35 AM) *
I'm not clear on what those chillers were chilling and why it threatened OSIRIS-REX...?

My interpretation was this was for the pad air conditioning. Losing A/C could cause contamination concerns but "losing the spacecraft" seems a little overdramatic to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 26 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 5221

First light images: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/o...t-status-update

It's full of stars...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.