5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Psyche, Discovery Mission 14 - a visit to the metallic asteroid, 16 Psyche
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Jan 4 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8089

#psychedforpsyche! Psyche has been selected by NASA as the 14th Discovery program mission, after Lucy. The mission aims to send a spacecraft in orbit around the M-type asteroid 16 Psyche, a metallic world theorized to be the exposed iron core of a former protoplanet the size of Mars. The spacecraft will launch in October 2023, with planned gravity assists of Earth in 2024 and Mars in 2025. It will arrive at 16 Psyche in 2030. The mission is led by the Arizona State University and Principal investigator Lindy Elkins-Tanton.

Be sure to check out the new subreddit, r/psychemission, as well!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 4 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

https://sese.asu.edu/research/psyche

The Psyche Multispectral Imager is a derivative of the MSSS MSL camera: http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2016/pdf/1366.pdf

Mission design win #3 for that camera.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 4 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Psyche has a Mars Flyby, and it uses a camera developed for Mars... but still I can't help feeling this thread belongs somewhere else than in the Mars section! (Also the new Lucy thread).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Jan 4 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #4

Oh whoops. I guess I'm still getting used to this forum! I just saw "Past and Future" on the subforum list and posted here. I didn't realise it was inside another subforum about Mars! Haha! Could a kind mod please move this thread to the "Cometary and Asteroid Missions" subforum? wacko.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 5 2017, 02:33 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Moved to Cometary & Asteroid Missions. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Jan 5 2017, 05:04 AM
Post #6

Many thanks, kind traveller! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jaro_in_Montreal
post Jan 5 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6454

Linda Elkins-Tanton asks in "PSYCHE AND SPACECRAFT 20161026":
Artist Peter Rubin and scientist Lindy Elkins-Tanton collaborate with Space Systems Loral and JPL to envision what orbiting the metal world Psyche might be like.
Pallasite contraction scarps, sulfur lava flows, frozen ejecta towers...what do you think might be there?

https://youtu.be/zTBfNQXSbJo

I answer,
Good question !
I would expect the impact craters to be relatively shallow, BUT due to the unusual stiffness of Psyche, there should be massive spalling on the opposite side.
Not sure what THAT looks like, on such a large scale.

Having looked at photos of spalling effects on Google image search, the most interesting ones are those with a "detached spall".
It would be really neat if Psyche found a loose one lying on the surface of the asteroid !

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jan 6 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7310

So maybe we'll finally get a cartoon asteroid..

Attached Image

(source)

Given the novelty of the type of object, I find this to be a pretty interesting mission. Not quite (pre-visit) Ceres-level, but high up there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jaro_in_Montreal
post Jan 6 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6454

Or maybe more like a cartoon can ?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 9 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5221

List of targets is out, along with diameter and flyby dates:

http://futureplanets.blogspot.ca/2017/01/l...d-missions.html

Short times between flybys in 2025 and 2027!

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jan 9 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 530

Those are Lucy flybys, no? I don't see any encounters for Psyche other than Psyche.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 9 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jan 9 2017, 09:27 AM) *
Those are Lucy flybys, no? I don't see any encounters for Psyche other than Psyche.

The threads are split now, got me a bit confused. I see this as the best summary both missions since I see no other recording of the telecon.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jan 13 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1004

relevant to the mission:
Detection of Rotational Spectral Variation on the M-type asteroid (16) Psyche

The asteroid (16) Psyche is of scientific interest because it contains ~ 1% of the total mass of the asteroid belt and is thought to be the remnant metallic core of a protoplanet. Radar observations have indicated the significant presence of metal on the surface with a small percentage of silicates. Prior ground-based observations showed rotational variations in the near-infrared (NIR) spectra and radar albedo of this asteroid. However, no comprehensive study that combines multi-wavelength data has been conducted so far. Here we present rotationally resolved NIR spectra (0.7-2.5 microns) of (16) Psyche obtained with the NASA Infrared Telescope Facility. These data have been combined with shape models of the asteroid for each rotation phase. Spectral band parameters extracted from the NIR spectra show that the pyroxene band center varies from ~ 0.92 to 0.94 microns. Band center values were used to calculate the pyroxene chemistry of the asteroid, whose average value was found to be Fs30En65Wo5. Variations in the band depth were also observed, with values ranging from 1.0 to 1.5%. Using a new laboratory spectral calibration we estimated an average orthopyroxene content of 6+/-1%. The mass-deficit region of Psyche, which exhibits the highest radar albedo, also shows the highest value for spectral slope and the minimum band depth. The spectral characteristics of Psyche suggest that its parent body did not have the typical structure expected for a differentiated body or that the sequence of events that led to its current state was more complex than previously thought.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jan 23 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6336

Water detected on Psyche - probably transported via impacts.

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Jan 31 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #15

Thoughts on the official mission insignia? It looks very pretty in my opinion! I can't help but notice that they snuck in the colours of ASU into the insignia as well! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.