Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam "Marble Movie", July 10 through October 14
elakdawalla
post Aug 22 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #46

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Woops, an error crept into my spreadsheet. Sorry...stand by and I'll fix.

...fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 23 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Brian Burns @ Aug 22 2016, 08:38 AM) *
I've got a similar issue with the moons of Uranus, which are pretty dim compared to the planet, so I might need to enhance them also at some point - maybe some kind of logarithmic brightening (?).

A "magic" threshold in the brightness of small/pointlike objects in an image is whether or not the apparent size of the object equals about one pixel. If so, you shouldn't run into any problems with its brightness – the outer planets moons are usually (not always) of albedo comparable to the planet, so if the planet is visible in an image, a moon (or other object) that covers about a pixel should be, too.

If the moon/object is much smaller than one pixel, then you have to increase the exposure to make the pixel(s) that it falls into bright enough to show it… and that may overexpose the planet.

When I take pictures of Jupiter and Saturn, I can resolve the Galileans and Titan easily, and they display the correct colors. Rhea is just about one pixel. But the moons smaller than that, I have to expose the image more and turn Saturn into a blob of glare. In these cases, you need to do something tricky to get the moons and planet to look nice in the same image. But for moons larger than a pixel, there's no extra effort required… it just works.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 23 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (Brian Burns @ Aug 22 2016, 05:38 PM) *
...Have you thought of posting these to Reddit? There are ~4000 subscribers on https://www.reddit.com/r/junomission that I'm sure would appreciate these...

Since Emily's uploaded version of the preliminary Marble Movie to youtube appears to get some considerable attention, I've notified it to the missionjuno site.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 25 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #49

A short sequence of motion-enhanced Marble Movie images showing moon transits:
Attached Image

It avoids the dimming of the moons near the bright Jupiter.
At the center of the very right you may notice a faint moon. I'm working on a more sophisticated noise filter, which will hopefully be able to let the faint moons pass, and at the same time filter out the considerably brighter hot pixels, and statistical stray light and background noise.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 25 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #50

Parts 5 and 6 of raw Marble Movie images are available.

And here the superfast service, rgb images of part 6 as preliminary level 2 avi:
Attached File  juno_marble_enhMoonsGrey_proc003_6_001_.avi ( 947.96K ) Number of downloads: 360

Movie of part 5 and level 1 stills will take a little more time, and will probably become available later today.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 25 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #51

Administrator

No surprises in here, it's continuing the 15-minute imaging cadence, alternating RGB and METHANE frames, uninterrupted, up to midnight August 21. I'm working on getting the images & metadata uploaded to my website -- I'll be ready for thumbnails whenever you can produce them, Gerald smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 25 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #52

Your wish is my command, Emily. smile.gif
Marble Movie, preliminary level-2-AVI, parts 1-6, and level 1 stills of parts 5 and 6 as zip.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 25 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #53

Administrator

Thumbnails are posted! Some really nice moon shadows right at the end.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 27 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #54

Marble Movie, level 2, parts 1 to 6, AVI and stills.

Moons are motion-enhanced, and grey-scaled.
I've applied motion enhancement and noise filtering to 5-image windows. Additional application of distance function via Voronoi side effect wasn't required.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 30 2016, 02:17 PM
Post #55

Reduced version of Marble Movie "Io-Io":
Attached Image

Each of the 46 frames covers about one Io orbit. Time-shift between two frames about half an Io orbital period.
The frames are composed of processed Marble Movie stills of part 1 to 6.
Fully resolved version submitted to missionjuno site.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 31 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #56

A very small appetizer of Marble Movie, part 7:
Attached Image

I may need several test runs to find a good solution for a complete marble movie, since the size of Jupiter increases rapidly towards the end of part 7.
I'm currently rendering the level 1 stills in two sequences, a 4-fold supersampled version with 15°x10° fov for most of part 7, and 2-fold supersampled with 60°x60° fov for the end of part 7.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 31 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #57

Administrator

Awesome. Uploading the data now. Looks like it's the same as before, alternating RGB and METHANE every 15 minutes; there are two very brief gaps in the sequence on August 26 (one missing METHANE frame in one spot, both RGB and METHANE missing in another spot).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 31 2016, 11:27 PM
Post #58

Selected imgages showing Jupiter's north polar region:
Attached Image

This is somewhat quick and dirty, but I first wanted to submit (the png version of) this overview to the missionjuno site, before spending too much time with remaining issues.
Btw.: Three of the rgb images of part 7 are dedicated to (a?) moon(s).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 31 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #59

Administrator

They were planning to image Ganymede on August 26.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saturns Moon Tit...
post Aug 31 2016, 11:43 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 7566

Those images are beautiful, Gerald. Good job!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.