IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Top of Vera Rubin Ridge Part 1, Site 66-67, sol 1812-1943, 11 Sep 2017-23 Jan 2018
paraisosdelsiste...
post Jan 16 2018, 10:16 AM
Post #316

Group: Members
Member No.: 6597

Hope this angle clarifies better than it is a groove, and not a ridge smile.gif
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jan 16 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #317

Member No.: 196

one optical illusion down, and the tricks continue on sol1934: now you see it and now you dont, time for a treasure hunt!

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Jan 16 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #318

Member No.: 6783

I found Wally!!!!

See bottom of this image.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 16 2018, 08:51 PM
Post #319

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

In this image:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/ima...53C00_DXXX.html

there is a central pit surrounded by a circular groove. The cast shadows show light is coming from the right side.

The pit is made by that central pin, which this time pressed down hard enough to make a mark in soft rock. The circular groove is made by a small off-centre clump of protruding bristles, like last time. A mark made by the central pin has been seen before, and sometimes people have misinterpreted it as made by the clump of bristles, but they are off-centre and will not make such a small mark.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jan 16 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #320

Member No.: 196

small off-center clump of twisted-up bristles sol1931 and the side view, so wow that circular groove sol1933 really is correspondingly tiny, i'm always overestimating the size of these images, the circle is not several cm, but mm across. i was interpreting the twisted clump to be caused by the brush hitting up against the lip next to the circle but it seems to have been there sols earlier.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jan 17 2018, 07:49 AM
Post #321

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (atomoid @ Jan 17 2018, 05:46 AM) *
...i'm always overestimating the size of these images, the circle is not several cm, but mm across.

Good call... Using Gerald's MAHLI ruler on the pre-merged image from sol 1931 with a focus count of 13979 shows the groove diameter to be just 3mm. If I had checked that first I would probably have not called it a sandy deposit from the APXS smile.gif

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jan 17 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #322

Member No.: 4605

The dust removal tool brushes are articulated in the vertical axis to maintain constant contact with the surface, rotating at high speed and covering a circular area of 45mm diameter. I guess that age has indeed wearied me and the years condemned because I cannot understand how this operating profile can produce such a small, 3mm circular groove. Obviously it did but how, given that the offset clump of bristles cannot rotate independently?

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 17 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #323

Member No.: 6780

Consider the bristles as compasses. They'll create approximately concentrical circles on the target. Non-concentrical circles are obtained easiest by displacing the DRT perpendicular to its spin axis.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jan 17 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #324

Indeed, 45mm diameter concentric circles. But the brushes do not rotate independently so the question as to how the 3mm diameter circular groove formed stands. We have not seen this phenomena before and although I anticipate that when explained it will be a doh moment, at present it is an itch that I cannot seem to scratch.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 17 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #325

Here's one, not so well developed, from sol 1744:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/ima...66C00_DXXX.html

The bunch of bristles changes shape over time - someone might like to make a comparison, I don't have time right now. So the resulting mark will change as well - and will also depend on the hardness of the rock. Early in the mission there was no bunch of protruding bristles, and for a long time the rocks were harder. This must be fairly soft, maybe the clay they expect south of the ridge - and here we are right on the south edge of the ridge.

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jan 18 2018, 02:18 AM
Post #326

Actually Phil's identification of the central pin indentation may hold the answer as the bristles seem to scribe a groove around the pin on occasion.

As Phil and also MrNatural identify, this is comparatively soft rock compared to the hematite ridge which could reflect lack of consolidation as well as cementing agent. If it is clay then would this tend to imply that it was formed after the Mount Sharp overburden had eroded away?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
MrNatural
post Jan 18 2018, 02:59 AM
Post #327

Member No.: 6719

QUOTE (serpens @ Jan 18 2018, 02:18 AM) *
Actually Phil's identification of the central pin indentation may hold the answer as the bristles seem to scribe a groove around the pin on occasion.

As Phil and also MrNatural identify, this is comparatively soft rock compared to the hematite ridge which could reflect lack of consolidation as well as cementing agent. If it is clay then would this tend to imply that it was formed after the Mount Sharp overburden had eroded away?

Not sure if MSL has reached the Clay Unit, but given the softness of this rock and its visual appearance, I would think that this would be a good place to try the new drilling strategy. I suspect that ever since MSL landed, the team has wanted to analyze the Clay Unit with SAM, even if MSL has run into clay at many other drill sites (but these clay's were not visible with CRISM).

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jan 19 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #328

Member No.: 6853

Quick and dirty, 1939 bump using MS-ICE with the R-NavCam's (Mods can delete post after a better version is posted) Hopefully it will assist in firming up the location
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 19 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #329

Paul's panorama in circular form.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Jan 19 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #330

Member No.: 678

So ! I've been working since weeks on a project of my own : a full color panoramic mixing Mastcam and Navcam imagery from Sol 1903. It was harsh, made on a 10 year old computer, but I had to do it.

Check it out :

And thank you for one of your martian sky modelisation scalbers smile.gif (but I had to modify it in order to have good merges)

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.