djellison
post Nov 8 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I've only ever seen one image from the Anne Frank Flyby :

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA02885

And to be honest, I thought 'there must be more - where's the flyby movie?' - only to find nothing....so I hit the PDS and came up with this..

about 500kb
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im..._anne_frank.gif

I thought at first that the flickering toward the end might be the use of different filters, but checking the IMG headers, it's not - so the Filter wheel must have stuck before this flyby.

Thanks to Bjorn for fixing his img2png tool to work with Stardust imagery - MUCH appreciated Bjorn !!!

I'm going to see if there's anything to be had in terms of super-res with this lot (doubt it) - and then try Wild 2 imagery - the only movie available is a rather poor - http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/images/w2_flyby1.gif

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Nov 8 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Guests

The filter wheel stuck long before the Annefrank flyby.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 8 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Good work. Here is an interesting link with the best flyby imagery I have seen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 8 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Doing the same for the Wild 2 flyby, looking at the data, the quality of the imaging was not great - but here it is

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im...ardust_wild.gif

Yup - start and end are very dark, BUT, that's about as much as I can do without ruining those other images

What I'm going to try and do is pull a photoshop action together that combines the pairs of images ( long and short exposure ) to show the comet and the coma jets at the same time, much like one or two press images, but the whole way thru

Doug

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 9 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Doug - great animations. Ted's link was good too. Some other datasets which would be fun to animate would the the first NEAR flyby of Eros, and the Mathilde encounter.

All this stuff is making me want to get back to mapping irregular objects. But the truth is, I want to do more than anyone can do in a lifetime, so I will have to make choices. Darn...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 9 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #6

But the truth is, I want to do more than anyone can do in a lifetime, so I will have to make choices. Darn...

Phil

[/quote]

I know the feeling...

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post Nov 9 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #7

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

cool!

nice hand-held camcorder-effect biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 10 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #8

Here is the highest resolution (not overexposed) Annefrank sequence. This was the best I could pull out of this dataset.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 10 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #9

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Very nice, Ted.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Nov 10 2005, 09:43 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 174

The single image released by the Stardust team had this black "notch" taken out of the right end of the asteroid that was perfectly aligned with the rows and samples of the image, as if a block of bad data had been masked off.

Seeing the newly released images and the animation, the feature is real and was mostly just a chance alignment of the shadow on the right end of the asteroid's complex terrain with the row and sample of the camera.

Thanks for the GIF... I'd love to see it "navigated" to smooth out the handheld camcorder effect!

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Nov 12 2005, 08:25 AM
Post #11

Guests

Don Brownlee sends me this E-mail and permits me to post it here:

"I was looking for news about Hayabusa and found the thread about AnneFrank and the lack of a movie. Our images were really interesting, and I was always disappointed that they were not pursued more seriously. The resolution and dynamic range are pretty limited, but the asteroid is really something. It is quite angular with a large blob on one end. In 3D it looked to be like it could be a contact binary -- an large angular fragment with flat faces and a large boulder-like piece at one end. It seems like it could have been a fragment that re-accreted. Interesting, but the resolution was not good enough to really see what was happening. It certainly is not a run of the mill potato-shaped asteroid."

He also attached a movie of the various photos of AnneFrank to his message, confirming that it is genuinely odd-looking -- it looks like an Indian arrowhead in virtually all the views.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 12 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #12

The best movie I have seen is the one from Bill Allen's page:

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Nov 12 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 12 2005, 07:50 AM)
The best movie I have seen is the one from Bill Allen's page:

Enjoyed the reports on this 'mystery' flyby. Was aware of the encounter at the time, but till I came here, I had never seen any results.

Curious though, the large 'chunk' on the right side of the image, (which I agree appears to be a contact binary apparition) doesn't seem to align with the 'center line' of the main part of the body on the left. Would we expect subsequent impacts to have 'jostled' the 'chunk' into a more centerally aligned position?

I concede the distant shots make seeing this a little tricky, and perhaps the configuration of the 'two' pieces is fresh and not yet 'relaxed' into position.

Or am I all wet on this?

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 13 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #14

Here is my super-res version of the flyby.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Nov 13 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 114

tedstryk You Rock!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.