40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Cape York - Northern Havens, Sol 2780 - 2947
Bill Harris
post Nov 24 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

Don't get your hopes up for imagery this Holiday weekend. All we have today are a bunch of Homestake MI images and some boring OtherScience PanCams.

I wouldn't be suprised if things get a bit spotty for the next few weeks. The launch of Curiosity will take up resources. And there is limited bandwidth on the DSN downlink and a whole sackload of science they want to get started on working restricted workdays before/at the Holidays. The proverbial quart in a pint pot, they are prioritizing and doing the age-old Task Juggle.

In a way, we become like spoilt children. We want it, and we want it All. Now. We need to be patient and realize that it'll happen when it happens.

[/philosophization OFF]

--Bill

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 24 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #32

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

All true, Bill. We'll get what we get, when we get it, when it's possible to get it to us. End of story. If anyone starts to suffer withdrawl symptoms from images, there's a new release of Oppy images to the PDS on the 28th - sols 2521-2610, the section ofher trek which included those small craters named after historical NASA manned spacecraft, etc - to trawl through and make pretty pictures out of. smile.gif

( And if anyone dares to moan this year about the MER team having the Thanksgiving holidays off, or doing less during this period, or accuses them of slacking, I will personally go round to their house and give them a Benny Hill-style slap on the head whilst shouting "Shut up!!!!" They deserve and need a break from their jobs now and again, just like the rest of us. )

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronatu
post Nov 25 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 235

QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 24 2011, 12:00 PM) *
All true, Bill. We'll get what we get, when we get it, when it's possible to get it to us. End of story. If anyone starts to suffer withdrawl symptoms from images, there's a new release of Oppy images to the PDS on the 28th - sols 2521-2610, the section ofher trek which included those small craters named after historical NASA manned spacecraft, etc - to trawl through and make pretty pictures out of. smile.gif

( And if anyone dares to moan this year about the MER team having the Thanksgiving holidays off, or doing less during this period, or accuses them of slacking, I will personally go round to their house and give them a Benny Hill-style slap on the head whilst shouting "Shut up!!!!" They deserve and need a break from their jobs now and again, just like the rest of us. )

Do you know if Opportunity will drive a little more before winter? And if not - when driving will resume?

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 25 2011, 03:58 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (ronatu @ Nov 24 2011, 10:32 PM) *
Do you know if Opportunity will drive a little more before winter? And if not - when driving will resume?

From Stu's interview with James Wray:
"...mainly we’re just hoping to survive the winter! If we find a good north-facing slope, we might be able to make brief 'sorties' throughout the winter to nearby targets of geologic interest..."

And from Matt Lenda's blog:
"We still have some trekking to do to find all the best slopes, and to see what slopes also have good science targets.... I expect activity to dwindle down throughout December, with January-April being 'hunker down' months with occasional science activities."

I'm sure no one knows the actual driving plans for the winter/spring. A cleaning event would certainly change things, as would an unfortunate dusting event.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 25 2011, 05:11 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 530

Also, the official status update mentioned that this was one of two havens being considered.
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status_...rtunityAll.html
There are two candidate sites for winter havens that indicate sufficient northerly tilt. Opportunity is investigating one of those two sites with the plan to spend the Thanksgiving holiday there. Because of the coming holiday, the project implemented multi-sol plans for the last three planning days before Thanksgiving.

If watt-hours decrease precipitously, no doubt they'll stay put. If not...

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Nov 25 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 105

And most of the data this morning dealt with two superres Pancam sequences of Endeavour Rim, which don't have much to do with the current science targets at The Havens

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 25 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 678

Sol 2785 color view of Cape Tribulation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 25 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #38

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Fantastic view!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 25 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #39

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Wow. If that were covered in snow it would make for a five or six mile toboggan ride.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Matt Lenda
post Nov 25 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 6066

QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 24 2011, 09:00 AM) *

Honestly, part of me wants to fly back to Pasadena (I'm home in CO for vacay!) right now and sweat out that high-calorie Thanksgiving meal with a good tactical planning day!

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Nov 24 2011, 08:58 PM) *
I'm sure no one knows the actual driving plans for the winter/spring. A cleaning event would certainly change things, as would an unfortunate dusting event.

Pretty much -- it's still a week-to-week assessment. It's just flat-out impossible to predict dust factor or Tau with anything less than completely unreasonable error bars. Historically we see many Tau and DF trends, none of which are useful on a tactical basis. They are what they are, we deal with it as it comes along.

-m

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Nov 25 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #41

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 25 2011, 06:13 PM) *
Fantastic view!

We are seeing two shots taken on L256R21 but for each of those two there are 15 (fifteen, yes) additional images on L6 filter at the same pointing. That would make for an incredibly detailed mosaic; someone should have a go on it.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 25 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 542

And no doubt fredk will let us know if any dust-raising wind gusts (or cloud shadows) were traversing the area as the fifteen successive images were captured.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 25 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #43

Guests

Would the winter plans be reconsidered if there were a major solar panel cleaning event?

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 25 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #44

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I would say yes. Every new sol is borrowed time. When they park the rovers to do nothing there is the constant tug and pull of; do we get more life/science out of this machine sitting still vs. moving on.? There's always the chance that one of the critical circuits will simply fail due to old age. So if they had abundant power, they'd probably head straight back over to Homestake and all the other enticing targets left behind over the last month

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Nov 26 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:46 AM) *
Sol 2785 color view of Cape Tribulation.

Looking at this makes me think that cleaning events are more likely to occur if Oppy is on the inner part of the crater rim. Of course, settling on a north facing slope takes precedence.

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.