59 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 38 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Endeavour Drive - Drivability analysis
Geert
post Oct 9 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #526

Group: Members
Member No.: 4185

Thank you Paolo for the opportunity to share, just for a little while, a glimps of the life of a rover driver!

Have a safe driving and we will sit back-seat as usual, and you can be sure we will be just as noisy as before laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beauford
post Oct 9 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #527

Member No.: 4349

Can someone help me by posting an image with approximately the same dimensions and resolution as the one shown in my post #335 in this thread? I would like the top center of the new image to be located near the SE corner of the image in #335. I'm afraid I do not have the capability of extracting such an image from the large source files.

Such a favor would help me fantasize about what course I would sail if I had the chance.

I imagined a lot of things as a kid, but never that I might have the means to sit around at home and plan the exploration of another planet while having a beer. Even though it's just fantasy, "...priceless."

Thanks in advance if this comes into existence.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Oct 9 2008, 07:24 AM
Post #528

Member No.: 618

I think it probably will, Beau, I have very similar fantasies.
The program is moving that way: Oppy Update:
On its journey to the southeast, Opportunity will have route-planning assistance from super high-resolution images taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. Rover operators will use the images, which reveal details as small as individual boulders, to plot the safest path.

smile.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 9 2008, 07:45 AM
Post #529

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Overnight, members of my admin team 'hid' (i.e. flagged as for review) a post, and replies to it, that was really not helpful in this situation. After review, I agree with my fellow admins that that it should be deleted - and the responses to it no loner made sense, so they have also been culled.

A PM explaining why has been sent.

And thank you for the kind, considerate contribution by someone simply saying 'welcome to UMSF' when the member in question asked where his post had gone. Yes - this is how we run things here - no one is forcing you to be a part of it.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 9 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #530

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Beauford @ Oct 9 2008, 08:30 AM) *
Can someone help me by posting an image with approximately the same dimensions and resolution as the one shown in my post #335 in this thread? I would like the top center of the new image to be located near the SE corner of the image in #335. I'm afraid I do not have the capability of extracting such an image from the large source files.

Such a favor would help me fantasize about what course I would sail if I had the chance.

I imagined a lot of things as a kid, but never that I might have the means to sit around at home and plan the exploration of another planet while having a beer. Even though it's just fantasy, "...priceless."

Thanks in advance if this comes into existence.

Perhaps you can do it by yourself given the right tools. It's not so difficult. wink.gif
The background image used on my route map (the source for your post #335) is PSP_009141_1780_RED, and more specifically the JPEG2000 image under the JP2 QUICKLOOK tab (warning: it's a 590MB file!). To view these JP2 pictures I'm using OpenEV; it manages the huge images pretty decently in terms of CPU and memory usage. A nice feature of this tool is that you can export parts of the image in JPEG format and that's what I'm doing for the route map. The current background is a crop from the big picture starting at (11500, 34000) covering 4000 x 8000 pixels and then reduced to half-size because the original map-projected image is at 25cm/pix while the map is as 50cm/pix.
To get the image you want you would have to:
- Open the big picture with OpenEV
- Select File > Export
- Select the proper output filename and output format
- Select "Advanced Options" and "Window Input File"
- Select the area you want to extract: 34000, 11500, 8000, 4000 for the current route map background and 42000, 13500, 8000, 4000 for the one you are looking for.
- Select Export and voila!

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 9 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #531

Member No.: 682

When we were driving from Erebus to Victoria, I do not remember one of us saying sort of "if I was the driver, from where we are today I would choose to go this way for next drive". Instead we were sometimes challenging Eduardo on "his" route map.
After Paolo's (hi Paolo!) too brief participation, I'm wondering if the "where does the discussion go from here?" could still lead us to discuss, may be in a new topic which way WE (UMSF'ers) actualy would go next drive from where Oppy will be from previous drive.
I think it'll be fun, Paolo will not participate directly, but it'll be a little bit more than a back seat driving.
This will never decrease the BIG interest to find out where Oppy actulay drove i.e. Eduardo's route map.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Geert
post Oct 9 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #532

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (climber @ Oct 9 2008, 04:22 PM) *
After Paolo's (hi Paolo!) too brief participation, I'm wondering if the "where does the discussion go from here?" could still lead us to discuss, may be in a new topic which way WE (UMSF'ers) actualy would go next drive from where Oppy will be from previous drive.
I think it'll be fun, Paolo will not participate directly, but it'll be a little bit more than a back seat driving.
This will never decrease the BIG interest to find out where Oppy actulay drove i.e. Eduardo's route map.

I agree, also I think we should continue the 'analysis' as soon as the new HiRISE images arrive, for this is why we created them, a lot of the work we did on the existing images was in preparation to releasing the same tools on the new HiRISE images, and I think we should just complete this task, whether or not Paolo is actually reading or using them, at least it will give us a good impression on what we can expect on the road to Endeavour. We can discuss our own suggestions and Eduardo's map will show us whether the silent rover drivers agreed laugh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 9 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #533

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Geert @ Oct 9 2008, 11:22 AM) *
I think we should continue the 'analysis'

Absofrickinlutely

(and absofrickinlutely should absofrickinlutely be in the dictionary)

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 9 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #534

it is: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...sofrickinlutely

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tman
post Oct 9 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #535

Member No.: 186

frickin ..."is an alternative for those of us too classy to use the "f..." word". Sometimes I'd wish not have to be so classy in public forums. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Oct 9 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #536

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 9 2008, 06:46 AM) *
Absofrickinlutely

laugh.gif

And a second to that as well!

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 9 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #537

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (climber @ Oct 9 2008, 11:22 AM) *
When we were driving from Erebus to Victoria, I do not remember one of us saying sort of "if I was the driver, from where we are today I would choose to go this way for next drive".

Actually, we had that discussion.
You might remember the "proposed path" on the older route map, and I remember to draw that one exactly while we were talking about this same topic.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 9 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #538

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Geert @ Oct 9 2008, 03:22 AM) *
I agree, also I think we should continue the 'analysis' as soon as the new HiRISE images arrive,

Which is what we've more or less been doing all along. We did it with Spirit ground images, where we traced out routes to the horizon in front of us, and we did it from above with Opportunity going back to the (very fine) MGS cPROTO images that were used back then.

Now onward! (directly due South then slightly East for 500km meters, then South again....)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 9 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #539

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 9 2008, 04:23 PM) *
Now onward! (directly due South then slightly East for 500km, then South again....)

Ah ah ah, Dan, good try! Nevertheless, I predict, You'll NEVER make it with the kms versus miles! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 9 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #540

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 9 2008, 03:24 PM) *
Actually, we had that discussion.
You might remember the "proposed path" on the older route map, and I remember to draw that one exactly while we were talking about this same topic.

Thanks for the precision, it comes back to mind now. So, let's says that at this time we hoped "they" were watching us. Now we know they do!

--------------------

+Quote Post

59 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.