12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Roving Mars (imax!) Trailer
fredk
post Jan 29 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Well, that was undeniably worth the $9! Beyond what's already been said, I'll add that it was incredible just to see the rovers sitting in the labs! IMAX has so gall-darned much resolution that it really felt like I was "actually there".

It was great fun being able to identify features in the landscape during the landing sequences - it was almost as I've often imagined it would be like to actually stand on the surface at Gusev or Meridiani - the shocking strangeness of being immersed in an alien landscape combined with the profound familiarity that I have with the sites from rover imagery. "Where the @*&# am I? Wait a minute - that's the rim of Bonneville! And that's..." Heck, I even recognized individual rocks at Spirit's site!

One other note - the latest imagery I saw was the sol 583 to 586 summit pan (with rover deck). Not bad - that was (officially!) released December 5th. Make sure you stick through the credits!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 30 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 116

This may be "old news" for most of you, but after reading so many negative to neutral reviews, this one had a different point of view.

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=167652

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 30 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 430

The Space Review: Roving Mars in IMAX
---

The latest entry in the library of space-themed IMAX movies takes
viewers on a trip to Mars. Jeff Foust reviews "Roving Mars", the
story of NASA's Mars Exploration Rover mission.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/545/1

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Jan 30 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (lyford @ Jan 26 2006, 08:44 AM)
Where in the LA area is it showing?  I didn't see it listed as a opening city at the USA Today article or at the horrible Disney site.

Can't wait to see the opening sol numbers in Variety tongue.gif

According to http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/rovingmars/ and following the links for 'find a theater', there's only three IMAX theaters in California showing the thing and they are all within 100 miles of each other up near the San Francisco area.
There used to be an IMAX about 45 miles from me (I'm in the Central Valley), but now the closest is 193 miles (according to mapquest). For my work I have to drive to Sacramento once a month (roughly 222 miles from me up the 99). I plan on making a detour to the Dublin screen this month...only adds another 77 miles to the overall trip.

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
odave
post Jan 30 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 209

It didn't open in the Detroit area either blink.gif Maybe they didn't think there'd be enough sales. But it is in Grand Rapids, which, for me, is at a distance that requires a day trip and associated long-haul child wranglers^H^H^H babysitters. I'll make the trip, though.

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 31 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #66

Cornell, IMAX Go to Mars:

http://www.cornellsun.com/news/2006/01/31/...s-1545226.shtml

On the front page of the Cornell Daily Sun:

http://www.cornellsun.com/media/paper866/d...ts/y4z4y46z.pdf

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 31 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #67

A review from Science Fiction Weekly:

"The new IMAX film Roving Mars does a good job at recapturing some of that euphoria, as seen through the eyes of those who created the rovers.

"Unfortunately, this film doesn't do as good a job at documenting the experience, or conveying the wonder that is Mars."

"The movie is based on a book by NASA's Steve Squyres, who also provides some of the hyper-enthusiastic narration (the rest of the narration tends towards the melodramatic, as does the score). Sadly, the script could have used some assistance: A big deal is made early on about how the initial parachute designs failed, but the film lacks follow-up on how, exactly, NASA solved this problem. Like the interviews, the footage—including that from the actual launch and landing—lacks a timestamp to provide context as to when these events occurred. And Spirit's early mechanical difficulties are glossed over entirely, even though that was a real-life dramatic moment at that time."

The complete review is here:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue458/screen3.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Jan 31 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 618

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 31 2006, 07:06 AM)
A review from Science Fiction Weekly:

"The new IMAX film Roving Mars does a good job at recapturing some of that euphoria, as seen through the eyes of those who created the rovers.

"Unfortunately, this film doesn't do as good a job at documenting the experience, or conveying the wonder that is Mars."

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue458/screen3.html

I haven't seen the film, and won't anytime soon, since Hawaii's IMAX theater converted to a circus recently. sad.gif I do get the impression from this thread that the film falls well short of conveying the full impact of what is happening on Mars. The excitement we in this forum feel, may not be reaching the broader public as it could and should! What percentage of the world's population will ever see an IMAX film? Is Imax the medium of choice for spreading the Gospel of Marsaphilia ? I think NASA, if it truly wants the world to get behind the colonization of the solar system, has both a duty and an opportunity to infect new generations with the 'bug' that infects us. We are some 600 enthusiasts. Why aren't we 600,000?. The internet does or will soon reach billions. That's why I think the full potential of this medium - right through to virtual reality - ought to be exploited by NASA as a major priority. Nothing lends itself to this effort better than the MER saga. Emily has broached this issue in her thread, but it shouldn't be left to We happy few, we band of brothers to foster this issue. It's time for NASA, and, indeed, space agencies around the world, to make a serious effort to move space exploration from a peripheral obsession of a fringe group, to a central focus of human aspirations. We 600 do have ideas, contacts, imagery, voices to help get the ball rolling. Perhaps we ought to try. wheel.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
MaxSt
post Feb 1 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #69

XYL Code Genius

Member No.: 566

In New York it's $12 ticket, for 40 min movie... huh.gif

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 1 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #70

QUOTE (MaxSt @ Jan 31 2006, 02:38 PM)
In New York it's $12 ticket, for 40 min movie...  huh.gif

I've a hunch you've not seen an IMAX film before. If they were any longer people would be getting motion sickness and vomiting in the aisles. Some people come close as it is.
Not many cinemascope films can leave you leaning against the walls as you stagger out of the theater, with the feeling that you'd just been 'teleported' somewhere else. The special big cameras, processing facilities, projectors and theaters all add to the cost.
Most people come out thinking their $12 was well spent. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Feb 1 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Shaka @ Jan 31 2006, 07:58 PM)
We 600 do have ideas, contacts, imagery, voices to help get the ball rolling.  Perhaps we ought to try. 

Shaka,

this is precisely why I give lectures to all types of groups at schools, museums, colleges, astronomy clubs, science fairs, etc to educate the public and motivate kids to study math and science. NASA does need our support to get out the word. The budget climate is very tight and science funds are sadly being cut, including on the missions we here cherish. Several other UMSF members, like Doug, likewise give talks.

ken

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 1 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #72

QUOTE (mars loon @ Jan 31 2006, 03:30 PM)
Shaka,

this is precisely why I give lectures to all types of groups at schools, museums, colleges, astronomy clubs, science fairs, etc to educate the public and motivate kids to study math and science.  NASA does need our support to get out the word.  The budget climate is very tight and science funds are sadly being cut, including on the missions we here cherish.  Several other UMSF members, like Doug, likewise give talks.

ken

And a fine effort it is, too, Ken. But look at your list of venues. You're preaching to the choir! We need to get the message through to everybody ! We need to reach the farmers and the sports jocks and the painters and musicians and writers. All 600 of us talking around the clock can't do that. The World Wide Web possibly can reach them, and if it can then maybe science funds won't be cut because our public will demand it. A lot of schoolteachers would be willing to direct their students to the website, because they're desperate to see their charges enthusiastic about anything! But it takes a big operation - like NASA - with a meaningful budget and the basic raw materials, to hire the professional media types to put this together. Emily and her colleague and the 600 of us are not enough to more than start it off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Feb 1 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 1 2006, 01:58 AM)
And a fine effort it is, too, Ken.  But look at your list of venues.  You're preaching to the choir!  We need to get the message through to everybody !  We need to reach the farmers and the sports jocks and the painters and musicians and writers.  All 600 of us talking around the clock can't do that.  The World Wide Web possibly can reach them, and if it can then maybe science funds won't be cut because our  public will demand it.  A lot of schoolteachers would be willing to direct their students to the website, because they're desperate to see their charges enthusiastic about anything! But it takes a big operation - like NASA - with a meaningful budget and the basic raw materials, to hire the professional media types to put this together.  Emily and her colleague and the 600 of us are not enough to more than start it off.

Actually I'm not preaching to the choir most of the time and do try to reach those you suggest. Your point is valid. And you'd be surprised at the diversity of opinions and lack of knowledge or understanding even within the astro community. There are those within this community who would kill a mission if it goes a bit over budget (without being specific). So things are not always that clear cut

Basically you have to start somewhere and try something and I also speak as a volunteer for TPS which has over 100,000 members.

Websites are helpful, but speaking in person to a crowd is I think much more effective and is a learning experience for me too.

As for NASA and communications efforts, that is complicated due to federal regulations as I have discussed with them.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 1 2006, 03:20 AM
Post #74

QUOTE (mars loon @ Jan 31 2006, 04:24 PM)
Actually I'm not preaching to the choir most of the time and do try to reach those you suggest.  Your point is valid.  And you'd be surprised at the diversity of opinions and lack of knowledge or understanding  even within the astro community.  There are those within this community who would kill a mission if it goes a bit over budget (without being specific).  So things are not always that clear cut 

Basically you have to start somewhere and try something and I also speak as a volunteer for TPS which has over 100,000 members.

Websites are helpful, but speaking in person to a crowd is I think much more effective and is a learning experience for me too. 

As for NASA and communications efforts, that is complicated due to federal regulations as I have discussed with them.

Ken, I agree with all your points insofar as I understand them (I'm unfamiliar with the "TPS" or the laws governing NASA's activities) I too have done more than my share of lecturing to audiences, from grade school classes to more Lions and Rotary Clubs than I care to remember (chicken, potatos, peas and sweet white wine...GOD!). The subject was Marine Biology, not space exploration, but the techniques and rewards are similar - people can be enthused about both. But you can only reach those who come to hear your lecture. The young students, like the university seniors I got paid to lecture to, were a captive audience, but they were truly open to inspiration - one shy 4th-grader paid me the ultimate compliment outside afterward:"I woulda paid 50 cents to hear it." But in all I only reached less than 1% of the local gradeschoolers in my 25 years in academia.
As to the "astro community", you probably know lots more about this than I do (you may be a member) but the cut-throat atitudes you imply are inevitable in a tightening budget scenario. The key is to reverse the scenario and that takes mass public support. People like us who are enthralled by space exploration are scorned and derided by a major segment of the public and the lawmakers. I want to see that scorn turned into nodding respect. We should use all the tools in the box to do that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaxSt
post Feb 1 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #75

XYL Code Genius

Member No.: 566

QUOTE (Shaka @ Jan 31 2006, 09:10 PM)
I've a hunch you've not seen an IMAX film before.

I saw many. Including long ones.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.