Whr Figures, From various sources
djellison
post Apr 16 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #91

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstre...5/1/07-3234.pdf

Awesome WHR graph for Opportunity in there - including the dust storm drop. Before the storm, the previous low for Opportunity had been about 350 on sol 850ish - and the storm took it to 120.whrs.

D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jun 27 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #92

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Lots of juicy power related figures in the latest Midwinter Spirit update.

The dust factor, a measure of the proportion of sunlight penetrating the coating of dust on the solar arrays, has remained almost unchanged at 0.349 (meaning that 34.9 percent of the sunlight, direct and scattered, that reaches the arrays penetrates the dust layer to generate electricity).

Energy has been steady, averaging about 226 watt-hours each Martian day, or sol, and varying by only a couple of watt-hours. This is due in large part to a clear and stable atmosphere.

Tau, a measure of dust in the atmosphere, has ranged from 0.178 to 0.207 and averaged 0.193. As a result, between 81 percent and 84 percent of the sunlight reaching Mars continues down through the atmosphere to Spirit's solar array. (The remaining 16 percent to 19 percent is either scattered or absorbed by dust particles in the atmosphere. The portion of sunlight that's scattered also contributes to Spirit's solar array energy.)

A Tau this low means the skies above Spirit are remarkably clear. Not only that, Tau has decreased by an average of about 0.01 per week over the last month. (Though scattering and absorption are different and not exactly comparable, a clear mountain day on Earth has a Tau of 0.1-0.2.)

Plus as a bonus a breakdown of what is using the power:

MiniTES heater: 55Whr
Battery Heater: 29Whr
Everything else: 140Whr

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 9 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #93

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

May be not the right place to ask since it has to deal with gain instead of Whr.
My question is : as the dust accumulates on solar panels, I guess it accumulates on HGA; so, does the dust lower down communication power when settled on the HGA?
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 1 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #94

Another question here.
Doug has explained in the past why the dust cannot be removed from the panel by wind using the TV screen analogy.
Now the situation is getting worse and I think that may be the dust is no longer accumulating on the panels but on the dust (that already touch the panel) instead.
Question is : can this later dust be blown by the wind easier than the one directly on the panels?
In this case we could hope for a kind of maximum accumulation (pending cleaning events) instead of a growing one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Nov 15 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 223

Probably I missed something ... ( couldn't find the reference in one of the posts or status reports yet )

What is the current WHR situation (and trend estimates) for Opportunity ?

(... now that she is on her long way)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 15 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #96

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Can the IDD reach any portion of the panels? I wonder what would happen if the rat brush were placed just above a spot on the panel and run for some period of time. I understand how thin the ambient air is, but I can't help but wonder if it might create a weak electrostatic vortex above the panel which would draw off some particles.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Nov 16 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 15 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Can the IDD reach any portion of the panels? I wonder what would happen if the rat brush were placed just above a spot on the panel and run for some period of time. I understand how thin the ambient air is, but I can't help but wonder if it might create a weak electrostatic vortex above the panel which would draw off some particles.

Interesting Idea: could be worth a try at Earth in the sandbox under simulated Mars conditions ?

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 16 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #98

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 15 2008, 06:22 PM) *

Better idea than mine a few months ago where I proposed to brush the accecible part of the panels rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 25 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 150

I think this plot of daily Whr for Spirit (green) and Oppy (red) can be useful. Recent drop to 89 Whrs is even more impressive!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.