9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Update on Mars' atmosphere, Media briefing on NASA Jan 15th
Juramike
post Jan 21 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #121

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I'm speculating here, (and I haven't yet read the papers posted above), but to get the photochemical reduction of methane from CO2 would require a wet catalyst. The water acting as the hydrogen source. So you'd need wet (or icy) dust grains, probably airborne condensation nuclei in the clouds.

But dust grains in the atmosphere are highly oxidizing. How easy is it to do a photochemical reduction on (or in the presence of) an oxidizing surface?

At first glance, it seems kinda tough...

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jan 21 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #122

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jan 21 2009, 11:49 AM) *
And we wonder why the popular press can't get it right.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...ane-media-mess/
He points out that the press release was titled "Discovery of Methane Reveals Mars is not a Dead Planet"

Just sayin...

+Quote Post
silylene
post Jan 21 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jan 21 2009, 06:23 PM) *
I'm speculating here, (and I haven't yet read the papers posted above), but to get the photochemical reduction of methane from CO2 would require a wet catalyst. The water acting as the hydrogen source. So you'd need wet (or icy) dust grains, probably airborne condensation nuclei in the clouds.

But dust grains in the atmosphere are highly oxidizing. How easy is it to do a photochemical reduction on (or in the presence of) an oxidizing surface?

At first glance, it seems kinda tough...

Agreed. I think it would require non-oxidizing metal oxide surfaces, such as the grains in clays, and water vapor (morning frosts?). But as we know, large parts of the Martian surface are coated with highly oxidized dusts (superoxides, peroxides, chlorates). We need to know which parts of the martian surface are not dusted with dusts whose surfaces is highly oxidized.

+Quote Post
marswalker
post Jan 22 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 4527

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jan 20 2009, 12:37 AM) *
The dynamic event could involve the water release only. Once released, the water is involved in a surface process that produces the methane. But, as I said, I'll be happy to have surface production proved wrong.

The mechanism for converting iron oxide, C02 and water into methane require heat. A theory was that some sort of leftover volcanic heat is doing the cooking, allowing the chemistry to make methane. The problem with that theory is we've never witnessed any sort of volcanic activity on Mars - only the long-dead results of volcanism remain.

So PCHEM processes are being looked at as a possible source, but there seems to be a very good chance that it's from biological processes.

--------------------
From the point of view of the "self", all things are relative. The smarter you are, then, the more likely it is you are surrounded by idiots.

+Quote Post
marswalker
post Jan 22 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 4527

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jan 21 2009, 09:39 AM) *
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...ane-media-mess/
He points out that the press release was titled "Discovery of Methane Reveals Mars is not a Dead Planet"

Just sayin...

smile.gif And his reference about "dead planet" includes both geological as well as biological definitions. If it's not biologically "alive", it must be geologically "alive", or there wouldn't be active ongoing processes which end in methane production.

--------------------
From the point of view of the "self", all things are relative. The smarter you are, then, the more likely it is you are surrounded by idiots.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 22 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (marswalker @ Jan 22 2009, 11:45 AM) *
The mechanism for converting iron oxide, C02 and water into methane require heat.

That's the geochemical method. I was proposing that released water would be available for photochemical production of methane. (The forgotten reaction)

QUOTE (marswalker @ Jan 22 2009, 11:50 AM) *
If it's not biologically "alive", it must be geologically "alive", or there wouldn't be active ongoing processes which end in methane production.

Once again, what about photochemical production? Would that rate calling Mars "alive"?
(Of course, Mars is "alive" to many of us already, no matter what is found in the future.) biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Jan 23 2009, 08:11 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 4334

QUOTE (marswalker @ Jan 22 2009, 04:50 PM) *
smile.gif And his reference about "dead planet" includes both geological as well as biological definitions. If it's not biologically "alive", it must be geologically "alive", or there wouldn't be active ongoing processes which end in methane production.

True. It sounds ambiguous, and I think it's meant to be. I've seen a 'dead' or 'geologically dead planet' (or moon) used to mean one which has no volcanism (like Mercury or our Moon).

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 23 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #128

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jan 20 2009, 08:00 AM) *
Could a network of upward pointing LIDARs be used for detection of methane absorption bands? Then you'd get cloud/precip data while waiting around for the ground to burp.

Poking around, it might be possible to use an orbiting downward LIDAR to get localization of trace gas data.
Found this abstract:

Riris et al. AGU Abstract#P51C-212. "Mars Trace Gas Detection with a Remote-Sensing LIDAR". (Abstract here)

From the abstract:
"The small laser footprint and the resulting high spatial resolution, will also allow the identification biologically and geologically active sites for a future landing missions."

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
silylene
post Jan 23 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 111

This is an interesting idea. I wonder how much power the laser would require, in order to generate a significant enough scattering signal to be observed from orbit with good S/N? Also, what's the vertical resolution? And would this just work during the martian night, for that wavelength? (I am guessing it might work better then; but if so, it would require on some type of on board energy storage system, such as batteries)

+Quote Post
tty
post Jan 24 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (marswalker @ Jan 22 2009, 05:45 PM) *
The problem with that theory is we've never witnessed any sort of volcanic activity on Mars - only the long-dead results of volcanism remain.

Given the almost complete absence of impact craters on some of the Tharsis volcanoes volcanic activity certainly continued until fairly recently (geologically speaking). Here on Earth some active volcanoes have dormancy periods that run into tens of thousands of years, so the fact that we have seen no activity in a few decades is hardly conclusive.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 22 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (silylene @ Jan 23 2009, 04:42 PM) *
This is an interesting idea. I wonder how much power the laser would require, in order to generate a significant enough scattering signal to be observed from orbit with good S/N? Also, what's the vertical resolution? And would this just work during the martian night, for that wavelength? (I am guessing it might work better then; but if so, it would require on some type of on board energy storage system, such as batteries)

Here is a Mars orbiting LIDAR proposal...

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/marsconce...12/pdf/4202.pdf

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 24 2013, 11:40 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (tty @ Jan 24 2009, 01:12 AM) *
Given the almost complete absence of impact craters on some of the Tharsis volcanoes volcanic activity certainly continued until fairly recently (geologically speaking). Here on Earth some active volcanoes have dormancy periods that run into tens of thousands of years, so the fact that we have seen no activity in a few decades is hardly conclusive.

Oh yes that's true though there are some craters to be found, IIRC the planetary scientists do think the timespan is quite long like millions of years between each eruption. So we better do not hold our breath in anticipation for the next one. wink.gif

Then again, if we'd see one in the future, it might be interesting not just for the drama, it might even affect martian climate and perhaps surface missions to some degree (dust) and with such a thin atmosphere to start with perhaps even a slight change in pressure.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.